• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Madrid Airport to Leon

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Has anyone had any experience of getting to Leon from the airport? Rome2Rio seems to make it very complicated - either the train, which means we have a 5 hour wait to catch it or a weird combination of train and bus, which is 2 hours longer. Is it too early to get accurate information - the date is 16 April?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with the suggestion of the bus. For anyone who has taken an Alsa bus from the airport in the past, you should know that there is a new departure station. In years past, the buses just left from some bus bays right outside the terminal. Now you have about a 7 minute walk.

Here is a video showing the walk from the bus station to the airport (the reverse of what people arriving in the airport and looking for the bus will walk, but you get the idea).

Last edited:
Just looking for times the in the next few weeks, I see at least 5 direct trains per day just over 2 hours ride from Chamartin station to Leon. You are possibly looking too early if you plan to take the train. Try about a month or 3 weeks before you plan to travel. It is showing a fare of about 20 euros for me with my Sr card (tarjeta dorada).

If you take a train you can leave from T4 station in the bottom level on the Cercanias line (either train 1 or 10) and it will take you to the Chamartin station where you board your train for Leon. Depending on your ticket the cost of this transfer may also be covered under the Cercanias Combinado for the faster trains which is a nice extra.

There are also several Alsa buses per dayfrom T4 taking between 4.5 and 5.5 hours. Again, you may be looking too early. Try about one month or a couple of weeks before you arrive.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Last July I took the train. Walked through airport to metro and then caught train out of Chatamorin (speel check me). I booked "first class" so that I had a big comfy seat. We arrived around 9am and the train left a few hours later. Very easy and low stress.

Bob

Note from the Mod: Since you asked, the station is Chamartín. :) It’s only 12 minutes from T4 on the Cercanías commuter rail system, which is great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone had any experience of getting to Leon from the airport? Rome2Rio seems to make it very complicated - either the train, which means we have a 5 hour wait to catch it or a weird combination of train and bus, which is 2 hours longer. Is it too early to get accurate information - the date is 16 April?
I took the train from Madrid airport las April. Had to wait sometime and was late in Leon. It was the only way. Buon Camino

go ro alsa.es and check a possible connection, direct from Airport Terminal 4

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last July I took the train. Walked through airport to metro and then caught train out of Chatamorin (speel check me). I booked "first class" so that I had a big comfy seat. We arrived around 9am and the train left a few hours later. Very easy and low stress.

Bob

Note from the Mod: Since you asked, the station is Chamartín. :) It’s only 12 minutes from T4 on the Cercanías commuter rail system, which is great!
Thank you for all that information. Does the Cercanias rail take you directly to Charmartin or do you need to change lines at any stage?

Just looking for times the in the next few weeks, I see at least 5 direct trains per day just over 2 hours ride from Chamartin station to Leon. You are possibly looking too early if you plan to take the train. Try about a month or 3 weeks before you plan to travel. It is showing a fare of about 20 euros for me with my Sr card (tarjeta dorada).

If you take a train you can leave from T4 station in the bottom level on the Cercanias line (either train 1 or 10) and it will take you to the Chamartin station where you board your train for Leon. Depending on your ticket the cost of this transfer may also be covered under the Cercanias Combinado for the faster trains which is a nice extra.

There are also several Alsa buses per dayfrom T4 taking between 4.5 and 5.5 hours. Again, you may be looking too early. Try about one month or a couple of weeks before you arrive.
I am getting a bit lost with Cercanias Combinado. Can it be booked on line or do I get it at Madrid airport T4? I lam not familiar with the Cercanias. Also, can one apply for the Tarjeta Dorada on line?

Cercanias is the commuter train system. If your train ticket from Chamartin to Leon is on a high speed train your connecting Cercanias ticket is included in the price.

There is a QR code in the corner of your ticket or if using the tickets on your phone there will be a similar code. At the T4 stationbottom level there will be a number of C train turnstiles and one will have an electronic code reader. At T4 there are usually attendants in yellow/orange vests who can help you. Show them your ticket and they can point it out. Once you have done it, it will be clear on the future. You scan the code and the turnstile will open for you.

If you don't have a high speed train ticket. There is a machine to buy a Cercanias ticket from the airport directly to Chamartin. Take train C1 or C10 they are the only ones that come to the airport and both stop at Chamartin and also Atocha stations.

You must buy the tarjeta dorada on person. There is a train ticket window on the same level in T4. You can buy one there or any train station, but I would not wait to buy a train ticket until you have one. Tickets can sell out and the further in advance you buy the cheaper they are.

I bought my first tarjeta when I turned 60 and then renewed it for 3 years when I was 61 since we return to Spain every year. My trainline App saves the data and I can buy my tickets online with the discount in advance now. I use the Trainline app to look up schedules and buy tickets. It is in English and accepts my US credit card.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cercanias is the commuter train system. If your train ticket from Chamartin to Leon is on a high speed train your connecting Cercanias ticket is included in the price.

There is a QR code in the corner of your ticket or if using the tickets on your phone there will be a similar code. At the T4 stationbottom level there will be a number of C train turnstiles and one will have an electronic code reader. At T4 there are usually attendants in yellow/orange vests who can help you. Show them your ticket and they can point it out. Once you have done it, it will be clear on the future. You scan the code and the turnstile will open for you.

If you don't have a high speed train ticket. There is a machine to buy a Cercanias ticket from the airport directly to Chamartin. Take train C1 or C10 they are the only ones that come to the airport and both stop at Chamartin and also Atocha stations.

You must buy the tarjeta dorada on person. There is a train ticket window on the same level in T4. You can buy one there or any train station, but I would not wait to buy a train ticket until you have one. Tickets can sell out and the further in advance you buy the cheaper they are.

I bought my first tarjeta when I turned 60 and then renewed it for 3 years when I was 61 since we return to Spain every year. My trainline App saves the data and I can buy my tickets online with the discount in advance now. I use the Trainline app to look up schedules and buy tickets. It is in English and accepts my US credit card.
thank you so much for your detailed and extremely helpful response. I do appreciate. Sadly, this is my last Camino as it is just too expensive from South Africa with our poor exchange rate.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back