• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going on Camino from Porto — need help

naikeosa

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be on Camino in May, with no plan.
Hello beautiful people. I decided and chose Portuguese route for my first Camino.

I’ll come from Kyiv to Paris, and then find a way to get to Porto. Maybe I’ll take a flight.

I do my last preps. And I’m not sure what to take with my backpack. I’ve chosen waterproof shoes and several pairs of socks for runners.

I chose a membrane jacket, and constructive pants that easily turn into shorts.

One t-shirt. One fleece jacket.

Sandals.

So I’m worried about the weather on the coastal route. Will it be super hot or will it be cold? Rainy?

I’m also wondering about the route itself, if the shoes I’ve chosen are good for it. Maybe I shoudnt take waterproof?

From your experience what cloth are best to take? Because I think I’ve read too much and confused now.

Thanks for help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gear is personal but here is what I brought when I walked the Portuguese Coastal May 2023. I was fortunate with good weather and I had only two days with light rain.

30L Osprey pack so I could bring it as carry-on on Ryanair. I bought cheap hiking poles at a Decathlon store in Porto.

Non-water proof hiking shoes, which were good (feet can breathe better than in water proof shoes) but a little heavy for my feet, so I switched to trail runners for my next Camino. Trail runners are now my preferred footwear even in wet conditions. I also wear a cheap pair of gaiters in the rain to help protect my shoes.

Two long sleeve tops so I didn't need to apply sunscreen to my arms and 1 t-shirt for sleeping and evening. Two pairs of hiking pants....again I didn't want to bother with sunscreen.

Puffy jacket or fleece for evening and chilly mornings.

For rain gear I used a poncho, but for my next hike I may consider a rain skirt and jacket.

Four pairs of hiking socks and four pairs of underwear....I don't like doing laundry...lol. You can get away with fewer pairs. Also, on some longer days I changed my socks during the day to freshen my feet.

Gear is personal but here is what I brought when I walked the Portuguese Coastal May 2023. I was fortunate with good weather and I had only two days with light rain.

30L Osprey pack so I could bring it as carry-on on Ryanair. I bought cheap hiking poles at a Decathlon store in Porto.

Non-water proof hiking shoes, which were good (feet can breathe better than in water proof shoes) but a little heavy for my feet, so I switched to trail runners for my next Camino. Trail runners are now my preferred footwear even in wet conditions. I also wear a cheap pair of gaiters in the rain to help protect my shoes.

Two long sleeve tops so I didn't need to apply sunscreen to my arms and 1 t-shirt for sleeping and evening. Two pairs of hiking pants....again I didn't want to bother with sunscreen.

Puffy jacket or fleece for evening and chilly mornings.

For rain gear I used a poncho, but for my next hike I may consider a rain skirt and jacket.

Four pairs of hiking socks and four pairs of underwear....I don't like doing laundry...lol. You can get away with fewer pairs. Also, on some longer days I changed my socks during the day to freshen my feet.
Oh!! Thanks for sharing!!! Because I’m at Decathlon in Kyiv right now. And just can’t decide what to take. Because they ask me questions about the road and whether and I don’t know what to say.

Now at least I understand a little bit. Thanks!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will embark on the same Camino, so the challenges are similar.

For shoes - goretex would be more beneficial if pro-longed rain is awaited. I believe on this Camino if there is/will be rain its's going to be for a day or two, meaning non-goretex shoes (trail running) would be better, as they dry out more quickly.

Hiking Cloth = synthetics or merino.
Sleeping, evening hostel chill = cotton or synthetics/merino.

That’s good information. We too plan on that route. Just a quick question, did you bring a pair off evening or off camino footwear?

Yes, I brought a pair of Teva sandals for evening. Also, I brought a sleeping bag liner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Porto on the coastal route and took the turn off to the central route a few years ago in late May. Probably not typical this time of year, but I got caught in a terrific rain storm along the coast. I was wearing a poncho and it was like a comedy. The wind opened the side snaps and the poncho went straight up over my head. The thing was uncontrollable. (I used a poncho for years when I was backpacking) An Altus would have been perfect. First town I came to, got rid of the poncho and bought a rain jacket, which is what I'd used on all past caminos.
. I like having a jacket I can wear around town as a windbreaker, too (I think an altus would make me look even more like a troll). I have a waterproof (not goretex) rain jacket with underarm ventilation zippers.
I didn't get pants because I generally wear shorts and my legs are waterproof! I think a rain skirt is a good idea, though. I alternate while walking between NON-waterproof shoes (they dry faster, too) and Chaco sandals. I bring thin base layer top and bottoms. That's the only long sleeve shirt I have and i layer it under my tee shirt when it's cold.
Here's how different we all are: if I had to wear a long sleeve tech shirt, I'd rather not walk at all.

Oh!! Thanks for sharing!!! Because I’m at Decathlon in Kyiv right now. And just can’t decide what to take. Because they ask me questions about the road and whether and I don’t know what to say.

Now at least I understand a little bit. Thanks!!
Dang! I didnt know Kyiv had a Decathlon!!!!

Wonderful!!! Buen camino, peregrina.

You'll get as many opinions as posts, probably. We all have our personal 'works for me' list and they are all unique. I go with an Altus, no rain pants, and Keen brand sandals. On the first 2 caminos I had gore-tex boots, and they were way too much for the conditions and terrain - plus less cushioned. I just got aching feet and blisters.

Your clothing list actually sounds fine. It's very easy to lose perspective when faced with so much information.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks everyone for all your kindness and good wishes on the intro thread I posted a couple of days back! As promised, here's a report from our journey so far... Day 1: Matosinhos - Vila do Conde...
We are going to walk from Porto - Santiago from September 11th-28. What is the weather like? How busy is it at that time?
We are ariving in Porto on May 27th. We want to forward a suitcase to Santiago directly so we have other clothes post our Camino. Could any one please recommend luggage services that will ship...
How low must tides be to prevent boat crossings from caminha to A Guarda?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back