• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Portugues - Coastal from Porto: Starting in Porto

Tonito

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese
Day 0 Camino Portuguese - Coastal, starting in Porto.

I arrived in Porto on Sunday afternoon from Barcelona, I stayed in an Airbnb, and on Monday I make some tourist sights in the city, wasn’t my first time here so I already knew some spots to get Pastelitos de Nata. I went to the cathedral to get my passport and went back home.

Day 1

Today I woke up early like 6 am prepared everything, doubled check and left the Airbnb, and start walking on my way out of Porto. I was worried that I’ll not find any other pilgrims on may my way, but almost arrived at the lighthouse. I start to see some couples and solo pilgrims walking the same path as me (excited!), it was a good experience to see how the coast wakes up, the people running, cycling in, getting their spot on the beach, and more pilgrim along the way. My first idea was to walk from Porto to Vila do Conde, but that was too optimistic… in the end, checking my steps and how many km I walked, decide to find a bed in Labruge, the best decision for the first day of my first Camino.

Now here with other pilgrims, see that I am already on the Camino, my Camino. Let's see what I learn from it

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 2 Labruge to Apúlia

My first night was an experience I didn't remember when I blackout in bed. A recommendation, if you have light sleeping, bring your earplugs because the symphony it's real, and many types of snoring could wake you up.

I start walking at 6:00 am cuz I wanted to see the sunrise, the path between Labruge and Vila Chã at that hour seems out of the world, I was walking in the mist, and I couldn't see the complete path, or the local doing their morning routine until they were really close. One part of the wood path is broken so you need to walk on the sand and it's part of the experience as life itself. I check my apps and map to be sure that was on the right path and keep walking, I got to see the village and towns along the way waking up. Once I arrived in Apúlia at midday, I experienced what I saw in the French way, no available beds for the night, even the private hotels, I think there is some kind of festivity I'm the town or all the Pilgrims decide to stay here tonight… I saw the next town to see if they have free beds and everything seems to be booked, without more power to keep walking I booked one of the 2 available rooms in a hotel outside of town, so far great experience. By the way, I got two blisters today!

F78B9C0E-88BA-4B39-ACC1-B0B2361D6DF4.jpeg518F0821-0F40-4DCB-8315-868E50CAF955.jpeg815358B7-B6E1-48A3-8EF0-2D6E4C01238B.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
wonderful photos and descriptions. Thanks and look forward to following your blog. Bom Camino

Thanks for the beautiful photos! Starting my Portugues from Nazare on Sept.1, I'll be in Port around 17th to do Costal and Variente Espiritual. I'll definitely follow your posts. Very informative.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino y gracias for your informative posts. I'll be walking from Porto starting September 13th.

Day 3 Apulia to Anha

I got a new best friend today, my hiking poles, they were for me when the official path takes you from the coast to inside towns and what are in towns? In the towns are hills and stone roads. So, a personal recommendation is to bring you hiking poles because you will feel more light climbing the official path after Apulia.

The official path takes you into the towns as I mentioned before but also in two-stage of the path into the woods, you even walk along a river, and hear nothing less than nature. Also, I picked some grapes on the way, they tasted like nectar, maybe cuz I was walking a lot… but tasty in the end.
I mentioned the official path because it was a poster warning about the dangers of not walking the official path, and keeping walking around the beach.

Once again my initial town to stay in was fully booked so I stayed at Casa da Carolina a lovely hostel, lesson learned I already booked my bed for tomorrow.
P.S. My blisters are still alive
BA58B014-2D13-426A-A46B-995ACE0150C9.jpeg79FD53B5-6633-4977-A64A-3C9DEC8CED86.jpeg9906D7C9-7F52-4574-8498-B6BE0471CA14.jpeg
8C7C1D18-C184-4BB8-A623-655594B1AE39.jpeg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 4 Anha to Vila Praia da Âncora

The walk started early this morning at 7:00 o'clock. After leaving the hostel, I kept walking. There are a lot of interesting passages along the way, as you walk through a city and up a hill. Paths vary from stone to pavement to woods, there's a lot of variation.

This day was long for me, because my initial option was to stay at Carreço, but was already full and the Camino path takes you in front of the hostel and my body need to walk fewer km. I got to the hostel around 13:30 and it was called Quinta da Quinhas, perfect for a long day. And the nearby restaurant had local food that was tasty and affordable.

Along the way, I start recognizing people. And keep meeting them in the hostel, and keep meeting new ones. It's great because we share the Camino experience and on top of that we share our own experiences in our lives outside the Camino.B5EA41FD-4521-4D07-B428-A8512127F668.jpeg793677AF-5DF6-4EB9-914A-6C16C76DFBD2.jpegA528A0DA-AC9A-4A21-8AC8-4F91C5921056.jpeg0E87A1BF-C251-4547-AACE-42E4C18B1EB8.jpeg

Day 5 Vila Praia da Âncora to Viladesuso

Yesterday was a difficult day, because of the booking situation I reserved a bed in Viladesuso 36km from Vila Praia da Âncora on top of that it was a rainy day. I leave the hostel at 9:00 am and arrive at the next hostel at 5:00 pm.

If I booked a bed in fewer for sure I would enjoy the way because you need to cross to Spain by boat and it is an adventure because the boat that you see on the website is broken, so you will cross in a small one.

On the Spain side of the Camino for me, I found it flatter than some km on the Portugal side walking along the sea, looking at the beach and people enjoying life while you are thinking why? Why I came here for my vacation and then you see the most beautiful picture of a fisher town and that makes everything better. Also, you will find other pilgrims along the way and locals encourage you to keep walking.

At the entrance of Oia’s town, I met two ladies at the church giving stamps to the pilgrims. They say that yesterday a lot of pilgrims pass before me, and the town public hostel and hotel were fully booked, I didn't worry because I got my reservation.
Some hostels let you book in advance by Whatsapp or phone call they only got your name for the reservation, so always better to reconfirm or give an approx hour if you are late like me yesterday.

That's my Camino so far…
57920501-E4FA-45C3-9301-79B896394525.jpeg4EC5974A-2BA3-42FA-84C1-1133DB976034.jpeg48DEBD32-3796-4BE5-B473-439D6EFB659E.jpegF417FE88-FE75-452D-B42F-1670D6774C5E.jpeg2676E6CD-D532-4EA7-89E4-36FF59293166.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That was definitely a long day yesterday! Hope the hostel situation gets better on your next stage. Your photos are very beautiful! Buen camino!

Day 6 Viladesuso to Saiáns

Yesterday the Camino was interesting, walking along the beach crossing towns, and seeing them walking up, I left the hostel at 6 a.m., almost doing my path because some parts just seem to be wasting time and energy, I mean the Camino presents you a detour like a curve into the woods to take you back to the same previous path that you were before.
I feel that some parts of the Camino in Spain aren't so well signposted as in Portugal, the arrows are placed at larger distances between them and sometimes hidden by plants or cars.

Arriving at the hostel was a challenge because the is on a hill and after 26km I wasn't in the mood to climb it, but I need it 😭

The only cafeteria close to the hostel was closed for vacation, and one thing I was looking for is to eat Galician octopus, so I went hunting for it, two of the restaurants that I went to had the kitchen closed, and by the end, I just eat a sandwich from glovo.

6E717A59-CF2B-4526-8301-F570A12B0BBD.jpegDAB9966D-A0B8-452A-ACD9-435011267429.jpeg

Id like to do some of this in October- so I

I arrived in Porto on Sunday afternoon from Barcelona, I stayed in an Airbnb, and on Monday I make some tourist sights in the city, wasn’t my first time here so I already knew some spots to get Pastelitos de Nata. I went to the cathedral to get my passport and went back home.

Day 1

Today I woke up early like 6 am prepared everything, doubled check and left the Airbnb, and start walking on my way out of Porto. I was worried that I’ll not find any other pilgrims on may my way, but almost arrived at the lighthouse. I start to see some couples and solo pilgrims walking the same path as me (excited!), it was a good experience to see how the coast wakes up, the people running, cycling in, getting their spot on the beach, and more pilgrim along the way. My first idea was to walk from Porto to Vila do Conde, but that was too optimistic… in the end, checking my steps and how many km I walked, decide to find a bed in Labruge, the best decision for the first day of my first Camino.

Now here with other pilgrims, see that I am already on the Camino, my Camino. Let's see what I learn from it
look forward to your stories thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Day 1

My 2024 Camino in September will follow your updates, Buen Camino

Yesterday the Camino was interesting, walking along the beach crossing towns, and seeing them walking up, I left the hostel at 6 a.m., almost doing my path because some parts just seem to be wasting time and energy, I mean the Camino presents you a detour like a curve into the woods to take you back to the same previous path that you were before.
I feel that some parts of the Camino in Spain aren't so well signposted as in Portugal, the arrows are placed at larger distances between them and sometimes hidden by plants or cars.

Arriving at the hostel was a challenge because the is on a hill and after 26km I wasn't in the mood to climb it, but I need it 😭

The only cafeteria close to the hostel was closed for vacation, and one thing I was looking for is to eat Galician octopus, so I went hunting for it, two of the restaurants that I went to had the kitchen closed, and by the end, I just eat a sandwich from glovo.

View attachment 154961View attachment 154962
I took a picture of that same tree :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

View attachment 154961View attachment 154962
Re. Grilled octopus
This was the best I’ve ever had:
On the Senda Litoral before Vigo.

Thank you for live posting your walk. It’s so lovely to relive the CP. I walked it last October.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back