• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gossamer Gear Loris 25 Review

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23
Just returned from the Via Podiensis and used Transport Claudine to shuttle the larger packs (pretty common on this route). Also tried out the new Gossamer Gear Loris for day use. It’s a generous 25 liters, weighs about 18 ounces and is a really sweet daypack. The Loris is a simple top loader design but also has a long front zipper, allowing easy access. A small clip keeps the top together rather than a drawstring, before folding down the flap and clipping it to the pack front. A water bladder sleeve inside makes that option easy for bladder lovers and there’s a large interior zip pocket to hold a wallet, credential, passport and sunglasses. A second pocket on the top outside proved useful for easy access for my small dry bag of first aid supplies. There are two side water bottle pockets, plenty large for Smart Water bottles. There’s no hip belt but I used one off another Gossamer Gear pack that has hip pockets large enough for my iPhone and Garmin mini. Two stretchy shoulder harness pockets fit protein bars or tissues. Like other ultralight packs, there is little structure and a sit pad fits into sleeves in the pack. This system works well for me because on less traveled trails, there are often long stretches through agricultural areas without rocks or tables to sit on. We had a road picnic the other day and it was nice to plop the sit pad on the hot pavement. The foam pad was also really nice on cold, rainy days and provided an extra layer of insulation…likewise, it was pretty hot on the 80 degree Fahrenheit hot days at the end of the route. The pack fits tight to the back so there’s little airflow, though it would be the perfect day pack for me if I could get just figure out how to get a bit of air circulation. I don’t think the pack is gender specific but it fit me well and I’m a pretty standard sized medium woman with narrow shoulders. I’m not sure a larger person with wide shoulders would find this pack comfortable. For day use, it easily held an insulating layer, rain jacket, spare set of clothes, lunch, bladder, first aid kit and personal items, small dry sack for chargers, anything I would need if the large pack got lost in transport. There was so much room left over, I could have easily used it as a full pack but it’s not the most comfortable if weighed down (not enough structure and Gossamer Gear says to limit weight to 15 pounds, I think 10 is more reasonable). All in all, this ultralight option held a ton, was easy to use, had adequate pockets and shaved some weight off, which is always appreciated. Best for those who have their packing needs dialed down tight. https://www.gossamergear.com/products/loris

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.