• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gotarrendura

JLWV

Jean-Luc
Time of past OR future Camino
Levante (2014-2016); Levante to Toledo (2017-2018), to be continued; Fisterra & Muxia (2018);
After reading in the Facebook of Gotarrendura's ayuntamiento that the bar is closed, and as this is the only resource in this village, we phoned the ayuntamiento.
The lady in the ayuntamiento confirmed the fact, due to lack of manager.
They hope to solve soon the problem, but by the moment if we plan to stay at their nice albergue it is important to buy food in the previous villages.
The ayuntamiento says that in case of emergency no pilgrim will remain unattended, some lady in the village can prepare a meal...
An other option is to walk 4 km more and stay at Hernansancho, where there aré shops and bars, but there is not an albergue, only "acogida municipal" i.e. a place where to sleep on the floor, with no shower...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That is sad. The welcoming bar there did a delicious meal, but opening up specially to cook for me and my Estonian friend Tanel can hardly have been profitable. The excellent albergue has a superbly equipped kitchen, so if you bring stuff from Ávila you can cook it there.

That's sad indeed. What a dinner I had there, wooow! But it's not so far to bring some food from Avila and the terrain isn't that demanding. In fact maybe it's even the nicest (and best way marked) stage on Levante.

Or maybe pay few Euros to a villager to take you to Hernansancho to gasolinera at the beginning of the village. There are also shops in El Oso and Riocabado. But I don't have any info (from 2015) that there is any shop in Las Berlanas (previous village) through which outskirts the Camino runs and in Hernansancho.

But good to know @JLWV . Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is indeed too bad! I had dinner there and the lovely woman behind the bar even gave me a few magdalenas and made coffee for me to have the following morning which I was able to warm up.

Oooh, I also have a marvelous meal memory. The bar owner had just gotten a huge flat of setas and whipped up a plate for me that was unlike any other setas I have ever had. And that was just for starters! I thought at the time that I was extremely lucky to find them open, though the owner did tell me that they typically opened up for pilgrims whenever they arrived. I think there was a son helping out on the weekends, if I can remember right, and they were doing a booming business but just because there had been a First Communion or two in the local church. I was told the kids did not live in town, but their parents had grown up there and wanted to do their kids’ Communions there for sentimental reasons. This is very bad news for the town— these bars are about the last thing standing after the schools close and people migrate to the city, but I’ll bet the doctor still makes a visit given Spain’s outstanding health care system!

Gotarrendura is, I think, the reputed home of Santa Teresa de Ávila’s dovecote — can anyone help me out on that?

Gotarrendura is, I think, the reputed home of Santa Teresa de Ávila’s dovecote — can anyone help me out on that?
I asked a local about that when I was there. Try to picture it Laurie. If you exit the bar/rte. and if you go to the right across small plaza you bump into Ayto. (where is also doctors office). There's a street left along the Ayto. and at the end of this street (T-junction) is Teresa de Avila's birth house. So I was told.

If you look at G-Maps:
https://www.google.si/maps/place/05163+Gotarrendura,+Ávila,+Španija/@40.826617,-4.7412516,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0xd40952664cb7d99:0xfa239ecd41841b11!8m2!3d40.8256299!4d-4.7387481?hl=sl
just draw a straight line from Museo Etnografico along the Ayto. and there it is on C/Bajada del Oso.

This is Museo (and bar to the left):
2015-07-06 09.28.46.jpg

Turn for 180 degrees and that's supposedly Teresa's birthplace at the end of the street:
2015-07-06 09.29.04.jpg

Just three more thumbnailed photos re food in the bar. Those white bowls were FULL of mixed salad (three sorts of lettuce, corn, olives, tuna, eggs, tomato etc.) and me and Spanish peregrino were so hungry we almost ate it all and then we got steaks big as a tennis rackets. The last photo is result of eating everything. I wasn't much better :D

Attachments

• 2015-07-05 20.45.26.jpg
    2015-07-05 20.45.26.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 2015-07-05 20.46.34.jpg
    2015-07-05 20.46.34.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 2015-07-05 21.11.29.jpg
    2015-07-05 21.11.29.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, for anyone going this way, I can confirm the bar is open, or at least it was on the 30th of April, 2019.
Thank you for this information. I transmit it to the Amigos in Valencia
Jean-Luc

From Facebbok-Gotarrendura:

Gotarrendura Ávila

26 de marzo ·
El viernes 29 se volverán a abrir las puertas del bar de Gotarrendura. Nueva gestión y nuevo nombre: Bar "Los Nenes". Esperamos que vayáis a la apertura.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We also had an exellent menu there 25th april for 8€/person. If you are late, and the bar is closed, try to find the lady. She offered us to come in the evening, too, if needed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oooh, I also have a marvelous meal memory. The bar owner had just gotten a huge flat of setas and whipped up a plate for me that was unlike any other setas I have ever had. And that was just for starters! I thought at the time that I was extremely lucky to find them open, though the owner did tell me that they typically opened up for pilgrims whenever they arrived. I think there was a son helping out on the weekends, if I can remember right, and they were doing a booming business but just because there had been a First Communion or two in the local church. I was told the kids did not live in town, but their parents had grown up there and wanted to do their kids’ Communions there for sentimental reasons. This is very bad news for the town— these bars are about the last thing standing after the schools close and people migrate to the city, but I’ll bet the doctor still makes a visit given Spain’s outstanding health care system!

Hello Laurie. When I stayed at the lovely albergue (it had solar panel windows in the living area - something I have never seen before or since....) I was on the lookout for the birthplace of St T of A. The house is/was a self-managed community centre in the throes of refurbishment. I understood that the only original part was the dovecote and I duly squeezed in!

.... and I checked KinkyOne’s useful map link and now I recall that the albergue was a ‘green eco initiative’ hence its name ‘Entre Adobes’ ....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.