• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grandma's on the Camino: Reflections on a 48-Day Walking Pilgrimage to Santiago???

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
My sister does not share this obsession with all things and the Camino but she does encourage my madness. She wroteto me about a book she found in the library, "Grandma's on the Camino: Reflections on a 48-Day Walking Pilgrimage to Santiago" by Mary O. Wyman. The book is highly recommended on Amazon, mostly read by non-pilgrims, and is expensive $25 even used. The book is intriguing has anyone read the narrative?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked the CF I met up with two lovely Dutch Grandma's…….they partied the hardest, were usually the last into bed -sometimes sweet taking their way in by saying they were having a 'senior moment' and forgot the time:rolleyes:, they were the last up "we need our beauty sleep", they talked incessantly even up the 'huff n puff bits':mad:(ok I admit to murderous thoughts then but I just didn't have the necessary O2 levels), they had the smallest 'Tardislike' packs I've ever seen and were able to lend me a sewing kit (where did they fit that in?) and when back in Holland what did they do?….well when they weren't babysitting their adored grandkids they ran marathons "just for something to do"……….hardy gals!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My sister does not share this obsession with all things and the Camino but she does encourage my madness. She wroteto me about a book she found in the library, "Grandma's on the Camino: Reflections on a 48-Day Walking Pilgrimage to Santiago" by Mary O. Wyman. The book is highly recommended on Amazon, mostly read by non-pilgrims, and is expensive $25 even used. The book is intriguing

My husband and I just finished walking from SJPP to Santiago in October. This book was the first Camino chronical I read last winter and I thoroughly recomend it.
We are in our mid 60's, and I knew if grandma could do it, so could we.

My sister does not share this obsession with all things and the Camino but she does encourage my madness. She wroteto me about a book she found in the library, "Grandma's on the Camino: Reflections on a 48-Day Walking Pilgrimage to Santiago" by Mary O. Wyman. The book is highly recommended on Amazon, mostly read by non-pilgrims, and is expensive $25 even used. The book is intriguing has anyone read the narrative?

Yes, this is one of my favourite "memoir" type books I've read about the camino. Mary is truly inspiring.

I have also read the book and i really enjoyed it. It made me laugh and shake my head many times. i read it twice before my camino and i am reading now after my camino. the first time i read it, the book gave me courage to go on the camino. I also enjoyed because i use to live in the same area in San Francisco and my children attended "Most Holy Redemer school"before it became an aids care unit. A person can save money by ordering the kindle edition and read it on line. I believe it costs about$8.50 or if you want to feel the book in your hands you can order one for about $7.00 plus shipping. Just look at the other prices recommended by Amazon. I found one there that ships for about $12.00 also.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've read 20 or more camino narratives and this is my favorite! I just read it for the second time. Mary did the camino alone at 70 and I hope to do the same next year. Her format is a daily postcard to her 5 y/o granddaughter, her journal from the day and then a reflection written after her return to San Francisco. I love her detail, her contemplative spirit and her determination to keep going in spite of serious foot problems. Very inspiring.

Presently on Kindle for only 9.26 euro instead of 25.
Suzanne

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Scruffy1,
I read it and found it interesting for a number of reasons. This lady did not prepare for the camino by walking etc. so she had trouble with her feet, falling, etc. She did not ask for advise along the way hardly ever. She got good advise from people and when she finally did take some of it she did better (use of walking poles comes to mind). I must say she was strong willed and persevered. I enjoyed her postcards to her granddaughter (she wrote these daily). She kept a journal as well. These made up a large part of the book. She is a meditator (a type with a Christian focus) and spoke quite a bit about that with fellow travelers.
Hope this helps!
Stefania

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks
Suzanne
Thanks AMJ, <--- a quick look at the photo to the left and you will realize that I live very comfortably in an age with few electronics, no Kindle and no cell phone, I love the touch and smell of books and if someone wants to talk with me when I'm not at home, well too bad. Thank you truly thanks for the info but...

Thanks

Thanks AMJ, <--- a quick look at the photo to the left and you will realize that I live very comfortably in an age with few electronics, no Kindle and no cell phone, I love the touch and smell of books and if someone wants to talk with me when I'm not at home, well too bad. Thank you truly thanks for the info but...

I have a couple of "just in case I need to read" books on my phone for my caminos but I too would always rather have the pleasure of holding and reading a book with real pages to turn. I was thinking of the vast collection of camino books we all must have between us. It would be so great if there were some way to have an international sharing (or donating) library. With postal rates though, (at least from Canada) it's probably cheaper to order books on Amazon!

I have a couple of "just in case I need to read" books on my phone for my caminos but I too would always rather have the pleasure of holding and reading a book with real pages to turn. I was thinking of the vast collection of camino books we all must have between us. It would be so great if there were some way to have an international sharing (or donating) library. With postal rates though, (at least from Canada) it's probably cheaper to order books on Amazon!
Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem
Your idea is marvelous, h-o-w-e-v-e-r shipping costs are now so high that whenever I order a book, the stamps cost more than the book! International shipping is no longer something to shrug off so I order my books used or from a discount online book service. Another reason to prefer last century!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have just used the online form to suggest that our library purchase this book. Hope to read it soon!

"Grandma's on the Camino: Reflections on a 48-Day Walking Pilgrimage to Santiago" by Mary O. Wyman. The book is highly recommended on Amazon, mostly read by non-pilgrims, and is expensive $25 even used. The book is intriguing has anyone read the narrative?
I haven't, but as a grandpa who walked Caminos 7 times, I guess the content of this book must be hilarious. ;) The book could generate an additional wave of walkers since Coelho, Kerkeling, The Way, and other people's social networks.:p

Hi fraluchi, yes i read the the book and it quite inspired me on my camino. I was sent my copy free by Mary a friend of a friend maybe that helps.
Even though the book cost me nothing there was lots of honest thoughts to ponder and I shall read it again one day very soon!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks.... I live very comfortably in an age with few electronics, no Kindle and no cell phone, I love the touch and smell of books ......
With only 61 years under my belt, I'm clearly a youngster in this forum ;-))). However I too thought I could never NOT read from an actual book until my daughter gave me a Kindle. Living/ working in often remote areas, being able to upload such a wide range of reading material (& inexpensively) is great.
BTW, Scruffy1, for a Luddite, how come you've got a computer & use social media forums like this one?? ;-)))
Regards Suzanne

Shalom Suzanne and Greetinngs from Jerusalem

We Luddites do occasionally trespass and sin. Here in Israel there is no Confraternity, our Christian brothers are mostly Greek Orthodox and have no idea concerning Saint James or Santiago and still, some 120-150 Israelis arrive triumphantly in SdC every year and claim their Compostelas despite having no organization to help and poor connection with other pilgrims. Computers and this forum are our window in the arc which is the Camino and a real lifesaver for the bewildered and lost.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved the book!
It's quite bulky ... maybe that explains the price?
Amongst my collection of Camino books, it has to be one of my favourites.
When I read it, I can quite imagine myself back on the camino .... though it's rather unlikely I shall ever be a grandma ;)
Go on - treat yourself!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Suzanne
£2.21 for me from Amazon UK. I've read about one third at the moment and find it well-written and honest. Worth reading.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back