• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone seen "Camino", a danish movie by Birgitte Stærmose, just released April 2023?

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
EDIT: Now I was quite spontaneous and watched it already tonight. And I actually liked it :)
It is about a daughter and her father, estranged, but who walk on the Camino Francés from Astorga together as it was the last wish of her dead mother.

Sad in some parts, humorous in others, fresh and different from other Camino movies I would say.

I think there is also a version with English subtitles and I hope it will be available in more countries and not just in Scandinavia.

-------------------------------------------
Has anyone seen it? Any opinions?
I might watch it in the coming days. Not sure if it will be available in many countries - but certainly in Scandinavia.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, thanks for posting @Arctic_Alex That looks really interesting! I just watched the original Dannish trailer:

I would love to see it with English subtitles.

This synopsis from Variety: "...the film tells the story of Regitze (Danica Curcic), who is in her early 30s, pregnant and no longer speaks to her father Jan (Lars Brygmann). But when they discover that Regitze’s mother’s dying wish was for them to follow the Camino de Santiago together, the two set out on a 260-kilometer journey of discovery under the burning Spanish sun."

This synopsis from Variety: "...the film tells the story of Regitze (Danica Curcic), who is in her early 30s, pregnant and no longer speaks to her father Jan (Lars Brygmann). But when they discover that Regitze’s mother’s dying wish was for them to follow the Camino de Santiago together, the two set out on a 260-kilometer journey of discovery under the burning Spanish sun."
Sounds like a similar premise to "Saint Jacques La Mecque"!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I would love to see it with English subtitles.

I too would love to see it with English subtitles. It looks good.

Anyway, after a night's sleep I came to the conclusion that one impression is, that they kind of ticked a list of must-have elements: Blisters (tick) - Rain (tick) - and so on. Also the main conflict is solved too easy in the end, almost trivially.
But ... and I really mean it ... this appears totally OK with this movie. It does not make it a less good movie. I still like it a lot. And would in any case recommend it.

Wow, thanks for posting @Arctic_Alex That looks really interesting! I just watched the original Dannish trailer:

Thank you for posting the trailer!

Sounds like a similar premise to "Saint Jacques La Mecque"!

As I have never seen that one I cannot really compare, sorry.

I was thinking the same thing but also thinking it wouldn't be as funny until I saw the rock scene and laughed out loud.

As usual, trailers are quite condensed and carry more of the funny moments than of the sad ones. Overall it is less funny than the trailer, but it has its moments 🤣

I too would love to see it with English subtitles. It looks good.

Viaplay is a Scandinavian platform like Netflix, with its own productions. They usually upon launch have subtitles in all Scandinavian Languages plus English. I watched it last Night with Swedish subtitles, as Danish is quite close to Swedish so one does understand a bit and the subtitles help to get the rest.

In any case they sell their productions also to other countries if some network or platform is willing to buy them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I watched it yesterday (Viaplay, Finland). Great movie, I loved it. It's more about family and relationships than actual camino, but some elements of camino are clear. Worth watching absolutely 👍👍
Hei! Sorry, I should have said "Nordic", not "Scandinavian" :)

Yes, you are right, the core of the story is the relationship between the daughter and her father – and worth watching.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone seen it? Any opinions?
I might watch it in the coming days. Not sure if it will be available in many countries - but certainly in Scandinavia.
Filmtraileren ser godt ud, men vi har desværre ikke 'viaplay' her i Irland..
so agree, but unfortunately I suspect some of the warm humor gets "lost in translation" for not-scandinavians ..
Don't know about that.. Scandinavian drama, nuanced as it might be, comes across pretty well.. to most Europeans anyway, far as I can tell.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Filmtraileren ser godt ud, men vi har desværre ikke 'viaplay' her i Irland..
Det är ju synd.
There would be ways to watch various films on Scandinavian sites. But this one is Viaplay, so even here in Scandinavia it is subscription based. But maybe there is a workaround via the US-Viaplay-App?

Det är ju synd.
There would be ways to watch various films on Scandinavian sites. But this one is Viaplay, so even here in Scandinavia it is subscription based. But maybe there is a workaround via the US-Viaplay-App?
Men det gør ikke noget.. others may find a workaround.. I can check it out next next time I'm in Scandinavia🙂

Someone know of other films? (seen The Way and lots of documentaries on YouTube). Interested in other walking paths around the world too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Someone know of other films? (seen The Way and lots of documentaries on YouTube). Interested in other walking paths around the world too.
I watched Chemin Noir last week - it was ok. the book is better by the sounds of things, although I think it's only in French which counts me out!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Has anyone managed to watch the Danish film in the UK and if so how? I've had a look at the Viaplay thing and it looks far from straightforward!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But would it also work in Ireland or other non-US-countries?
Not sure.

Not sure where Viaplay is in the Appstore.
Apple:

Android:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For those in Australia, it seems to be available on 'SBS on Demand'

@OzAnnie it has subtitles.
Just seeing your a.k.a. now 🤣 ... I know where it happened. Good you take it with humor.
(But let us not discuss this in this thread 🙂 )

I really wonder how Scandinavian movies "feel" when one does not have any grasp of the language and relies 100% on the subtitles.
I have that problem with French movies, and I am sure a lot gets lost, but I can still enjoy them of course.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That could also be a Scandinavian thing ;-) Like with real people, you do not understand all his actions as he does not let us see his i

That's what I like about European and particularly Scandinavian drama.. it leaves room for interpretation and doesn't follow the typical Hollywood formula where the plot is too often mansplained to death.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Robo / re movie ‘Camino’

For those in Australia, it seems to be available on 'SBS on Demand'

@OzAnnie it has subtitles.

I watched it last night.
It was good.
Maybe a bit is lost in translation using subtitles.
I couldn't quite get into the characters though, particularly the Father.
But certainly worth watching.
It took me a while to locate it on SBS on demand. I watched it today.
I found it rather strange but very sad.

Has anyone in Australia found this avaiable for streaming?
I only found it on a Russian site in 240P resolution :confused:
Unfortunately, @Robo I think it will be difficult to find on the usual streaming services. There have been a few threads before where the movie has come up. If you still have a DVD player you may be able to find a DVD version on Amazon, maybe Amazon France?

I am not particularly interested in movies about the Camino but I very much appreciate this one. I first heard of it from a French pilgrim when I was walking the Le Puy Way. It is mostly set on the Le Puy Way but continues on the Frances. It does sound like the Danish one has a similarity in the initial premise but perhaps not much more in common. Saint Jacques La Mecque has a diverse range of interesting characters and relationships.

It's worth searching for ... in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back