• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hawaiian Pilgrim - Newbie

epahio

Aloha Pilgrims,

I'm looking forward to walking the camino like the many of you here but feel a little nervous since I've never done anything like this. I'm not the best in shape and I'm coming all the way from Hawaii! I enjoy hiking but I've never done several days of walking. I'm also traveling alone, so its a relief to learn that their are many others just like me. I'm planning on beginning from Sarria. I prefer to take a train to Sarria, rather than a bus or plane, but I have little information on this. There was another post that listed a train from Madrid to Sarria.

Navigating the RENFE site is very confusing, especially since I speak no Spanish. I'll be staying in Madrid for a few days before traveling to Sarria. I'm sure I will have jet lag. Does anyone know specifics on how to purchase a train ticket to Sarria? I read a post mentioning a 2300 train from Chamartin Station. Is it easy to purchase train tickets? Will I have to worry about seats selling out?

While walking the camino, I want to stay in small hotels rather than the alberques and I wanted to know if anyone has had experience in this? How easy or difficult it is to get a room at these establishments? Most people on the forum stay in the alberques, but I don't want to worry about the bathroom or snoring people. So sorry, I probably sound like a snob, but I figure at the end of the day I've earned a small room with my own private toilet/bath.

Thanks for any information you can provide me. I am hoping to meet up with some friendly pilgrim to walk with and enjoy the Spanish culture, cuisine and especially the magic of the camino!

Aloha no,
Elaine from Hawaii

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Aloha Elaine!

You might want to check out a Eurail pass to avoid train hassles: http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/
There are a ton of different pass options depending on your needs - including flexible dates and multinational travel.

My girlfriend and I would take a day off from the albergues every once in a while to stay in a pension. Usually you can get a pension for 20-50 Euro. Look for the "i" signs to find the tourist information centers in the city you're in; they'll direct you to the best pensions for your money. A lot of albergues (especially the privately run ones) also provide private rooms, occasionally with a private bathroom as well.

Have fun and buen Camino!

If you go to the home page for this forum, scroll down until you find the topic :
Travel to and from the Camino
Lots of specific information there on train travel and getting to Sarria.

If hotels are what you want, then hotels it will be... Everyone makes their own camino.

There is lots of good advice in these forums about what to take, how heavy (or light) your pack should be, training... read and dream.

David, Victoria, Canada

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for all your advice! I will into a rail pass and check the other posts for train information. I leave in two weeks and start the Camino on Sept. 1st. I'm looking forward to beginning my journey! I keep telling my friends that I am going on my "Eat, Pray, Love" journey, just like Elizabeth Gilbert's book!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.