• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello and some help please

Shaad Cobla

Hello,
My name is Adam J Shaw, I'm from Blackpool but I live in St.Annes (next town to Blackpool but nicer to live in). I've just booked my flight to Bordeaux and my train to Saint Jean Pied De Port!

There are a couple of things I need help with. I've tried searching for the answers first but can't find what I'm looking for so I'm just gonna go ahead and ask here

Firstly, the Pilgrims Passport. Do I have to contact the pilgrims office in Saint Jean before I get there or can I just turn up on the day and get one? How exactly do I go about getting one? Are there any special requirements? Do you have to be a Christian? Do they ask questions?

And staying in Saint Jean. I'll be arriving in Saint Jean at about 18:30 so I'll be needing somewhere to stay. Is it advisable to book in advance or have I a good chance of finding somewhere on the day? Also, any recommendations? I'm on a budget though.

One more thing: has anybody done the Camino Frances and just stayed out under the stars (without a tent)? I'd like to try that. My friend lived in southern Spain though and he told me there are little scorpions and snakes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance;)

Cordially,

Adam J Shaw

Postscript - Anybody going on the 30th of July setting off from Saint Jean?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Adam,
You won't have any problem picking up a your Credencial in SJPP; no worries. That late in the evening is more open and it depends on you. Some are quite comfortable arriving and jumping immediately into the life of a pilgrim. Others use it as the last opportunity to sleep in comfort. There is not a wrong way or a right way. If you are going to be a Pilgrim from the very beginning, make sure to pick out a few places in advance and know how to get from one to the other. Sleeping under the stars is done on the Camino. To me it is a question of preparation; having the proper gear and knowing how best to avoid morning dew. Follow your heart, ask questions liberally, and enjoy your Camino. Buen Camino from beginning to end.

Hello Adam,
You can get your credencial at the Aceuil des Pelerins office in St Jean. This is uphill from the train station in the old part of town (turn left up hill once you hit the obvious main street). You will find, however, that the train will be full of people with large rucksacks. Just follow the rucksacks and you will find the office. The Aceuil is run by vounteers and so they ask for a small processing fee for your credencial (after all, they have to rent the place). You will need your passport as proof of your name and nationality. They ask you if your reasons are religious, spiritual or touristic. If you say religious or spiritual, you get the splish looking compostella once you arrive in Santiago. Spiritual is a good box to tick, because even if you start out as a tourist, you won't be a tourist when you arrive in Santiago. You will be a peregrino. The existence of this forum is a testament to that. They also ask if you are doing it by foot, bike or horse. They also give you some really useful info leaflets about the route and accommodation along it (again, your fee goes towards photocopying). I would REALLY strongly advise you to book ahead in St Jean. We took a tent and it was even a struggle to find a space in the campground. If you arrive early, one alternative might be to do the first few Km to the refuge at Orrison (according to their sello, their number is 06 81 49 79 56). There are places where you can sleep under the stars, but I would recommend taking a bivi bag to keep your sleeping bag dry. The backyard of the church at Tricastela is a great place (there is a large covered area). The BIG problem is water. You can get water from fuentes in the towns and villages, but you can't get it outside of towns.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You may like to join the Confraternity of St James http://www.csj.org.uk/ and get one of their Pilgrim Passports. It's a very nice one with a laminated cover which always gets admiration from others, pilgrims and hospitaleros. But more than that, you are joining an organisation which supports and informs pilgrims, has a very useful library and intersting quarterly magazine. I think of it like joining my union - strength is in joining together - if you see what I mean!

Anmyway. look on the website.

Thanks everybody.

I made a bicycle pilgrimage from my door in Blackpool to The Isle Of Iona in 2004. I pretty much winged in. I got there and it was an awesome experience and the problems and poor planning really made it more of an adventure. I was saved on the Isle Of Mull by a very nice lady who found me on her doorstep in the dark at about 22:00, soaked, crying and apparently green (actually green skinned). She stripped me, threw me in a shower, dried all of my stuff, made me soup and even gave me a jumper. I stayed on the floor of her conservatory wrapped in thick quilts. Best nights sleep I have ever had. I walked her dog for her the next day as a thankyou.

I think I'm ready for my Camino. Learning Spanish at the moment.

Thanks again;)

Shaad Cobla said:
I made a bicycle pilgrimage from my door in Blackpool to The Isle Of Iona in 2004.

Cool idea!

Shaad Cobla said:
I was saved on the Isle Of Mull by a very nice lady who found me on her doorstep in the dark at about 22:00, soaked, crying and apparently green (actually green skinned).

Why green-skinned? Do tell us the story, please?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I didn't want to cycle on the weekends so I stayed at my aunties in Scotland and set off again on the monday. There was a storm. I managed to make it to Oban before the roads got closed due to flooding though I did cycle through some giant puddles.

I took the ferry from Oban to Mull, arriving in Mull at around 18:30. The rain had stopped so I very foolishly tried to cycle up Mull (40 mile) that evening.

When I set off the weather was quite nice so I wore only my t-shirt. At some point the storm started up again and it was getting late and dark and I was being followed by midgies so I decided to carry on thus not stopping to put my waterproofs on. Anyway, it was alot further than I thought.

So, when I was soaked and it was very dark, and my muscles were spasming I finally decided to find some place to stay which isn't that easy on the Isle of Mull in the dark. Anyway, I see a sign directing me to a B&B one mile out of my way. So I take that road and finally make it to a B&B.

I knocked, but there was no answer. The lights were on but apparently nobody was home. I kept knocking for a while in desperation. eventually I gave up, sat on the doorstep and cryed alot. It was at this time around 22:00 and I was still in my t-shirt.

When I'd cryed it all out I hardened my will, picked my bike up and prepared to set back off again.

Then some luck! As I was walking up the drive back to the road a car came from the other direction. Thinking it was the owner of the B&B I waited for them to park.

It wasn't the owner but two guests. However, they told me that the owner was out at a friends and was expected back anytime. They also told me that she never turned anybody away no matter how full she was. They asked me what I was doing in a saturated t-shirt in the dark on Mull. That's when I started crying again and told them between sobs that I had cycled from Blackpool and I was tired and frightened.

The two guests then took me, one arm each and half carried me inside as my ability to support my own weight waned. I was crying without restraint.

I don't remember what happened next that clearly. Inside there were alot of people come out of there rooms to see what was going on. A friendly woman pushed a hot cup of fruit tea into my hands. I was put into a chair and I'm sure someone was hugging me and talking to me with a foreign accent. I tried to explain myself to her but my linguistic skills failed me, the left side of my brain filling in as best it could for the right which had apparently switched off. Then I passed out.

I awoke half naked with someone pulling at the rest of my clothes. Then I was in a hot shower. I showered myself, got out. My clothes were dryed and waiting for me.

I walked into the kitchen were an elderly man and woman were talking. The woman sat me at the table and put a bowl of soup in front of me. I ate it. I talked a little. Then Libby, the elderly woman, handed me a grey wool jumper and asked me to try it on. I did. "It suits you," she said. She said, "you have to keep it!" I thanked her.

She led me out of the kitchen, through the living room were the woman with the accent and fruit tea was sleeping on the sofa, and a man on the floor. She led me to the conservatory, which was a dinning room with a big table. There, in the corner was a makeshift bed of thick quilts and pillows. Libby said, "you can sleep here." And I did. I really did.

The morning, I got up and joined the guests at the dinning table for breakfast. I felt a little embarassed. A man said, "we were worried about you last night." He said, "you were green!"

So there you go. I was green!

What a story!

I know Mull quite well. The midgies are FEROCIOUS! Much scarier than bed bugs, pyrenean bears, wild bullocks or fierce dogs. I wouldn't have stopped to put my waterproof on, either.

BTW, news story this week -
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/ ... d_by_cows/

Midgies? I'm not sure if we have these in Canada.... what are they?

lynne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, we have 'em in Canada and Alaska. They are similar to gnats, no see 'ums, etc. Dang things can drive a sainted person to hell and back once they start at you.

Aah!! No-see-ums! I know them very well!

We're very familiar with them way up here in Northern Canada... We try to be in Spain when they come out in June.

Thanks.

lynne

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.