• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello everyone :)

wotbus@

Time of past OR future Camino
Way of St James by bike (2017)
First, congratulations on a really great site. Soooo informative and a pleasure to surf.
OK, complete newbie here but totally hooked on "doing it" since my new partner began her third and final stage Way of St James SJPDP - Santiago on May 5th, beginning two years ago from Le Puy en Velay via Moissac. We have contact each evening to let me know where she stays, this evening at Atapuerca, and I do my best to be with her via Google Earth. She hopes to have her first rest day in Burgos tomorrow and I can't believe the speed she is traveling! She is 61 (she'll forgive me) with a 8kg pack.
I am not able to walk around a Garden Centre without looking for a chair due to a history of back problems but I regard myself as very fit for my age (73) and cycle a lot both on and off road and she stunned me by saying, as I waved her off on the train to SJPDP - "We'll do the same again together next year by bike", then she was gone!
Last year on holiday was the first and only time she rode a bike, all of 20minutes around the camp-site, so it's a challenge to both of us.
Now I have been given the heads up I can't wait to get her a suitable bike and do some training with her for next year, and gathering all the information I can.
Meanwhile, to all those who have completed the routes in the way that suits them best, congratulations, you deserve it, and to those intending this year by however means, I admire your courage and determination.

Edit changes pack weight from erroneous 20k.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello and welcome to the forum which is a virtual pilgrims albergue in its own right ;-) Please tell me that it was a typo and your partner isn't really walking with a 20kg backpack :confused: You might actually reconsidering doing the camino by bike if you have back problems as a correctly adjusted, and light!, backpack will allow for a better posture than being bend over on a bike. No matter what you decide and how you decide to do it - Buen Camino! SY

I'll confirm the weight after tomorrow's contact but I'm sure that's what she said and it certainly felt like it when I carried it from the car park to the train and as for my back problem, normally I am without unless I walk a lot but maybe this year I will try some practice walks with her when she returns to see how I get on as I would really prefer to walk it but having said that, maybe she is just as enthusiastic about riding it so early days yet :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try also walking with poles and get some physio in to learn correct posture. I have chronic back problems myself and I am fine walking but bad on a bike - but your mileage might vary as the saying goes. Buen Camino, SY

PS 20kg is insane, sorry to be so upfront, but it really is unnecessary unless you have very specific health or photographic requirements. And even then ...

Ha, little wonder you and possibly others were surprised. Not so much a typo but inaccuracy due to misunderstanding on my part. For 20kilo's read 8kil0's with water, sorry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you haven't walked with poles before do give them a go. They really made a difference
to my back pain.

Thanks Introibo - I haven't even walked before but thanks for the tip. I'm sure if and when the time comes my Pèlerine will get me sorted but the focus is on two wheels at the moment.

Well, she has been walking for a month with one rest day and limping too badly for my liking but with about 150k (approx) to go.
Today I clicked Google from Villafranca del Bierzo to Vega de Valcarce where she arrived just after lunch. Knowing how hard she is finding it even on a diet of pain-killers marginally smaller than her nourishment intake, I clicked on to see what's ahead of her tomorrow. Phew... and us on bikes next year...
I am astonished, whether on foot or wheels, that anyone actually does does this. More I "click" and study this site, more I am beginning to realize that a spiritual need would indeed seem and essential item in the packing list.
I'm outside the boots-v-bikes discussions. A Pilgrim is a person who makes a journey for spiritual reasons, full stop. No such thing a real-pilgrim as I read somewhere on the site.
Even though I am increasingly anxious for her well-being I can understand what is driving her on and I have to admire her and everyone else who have thought several times to stop, cried even, but instead gritted their teeth and started another day irrespective of weather; tired, in pain, wondering why you are doing it, dodgy morale but deep inside that "something" which keeps you going, that "something" which many of us never even know we posses!
I should add my partner passes on her brief contacts with other pilgrims; sometimes sad encounters of being in a bad physical shape but not willing or able to make the decision to stop, perhaps the biggest decision of all.
For all of you who have been there, I salute you :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, she has been walking for a month with one rest day and limping too badly for my liking but with about 150k (approx) to go.
Today I clicked Google from Villafranca del Bierzo to Vega de Valcarce where she arrived just after lunch. Knowing how hard she is finding it even on a diet of pain-killers marginally smaller than her nourishment intake, I clicked on to see what's ahead of her tomorrow. Phew... and us on bikes next year...
I am astonished, whether on foot or wheels, that anyone actually does does this. More I "click" and study this site, more I am beginning to realize that a spiritual need would indeed seem and essential item in the packing list.
I'm outside the boots-v-bikes discussions. A Pilgrim is a person who makes a journey for spiritual reasons, full stop. No such thing a real-pilgrim as I read somewhere on the site.
Even though I am increasingly anxious for her well-being I can understand what is driving her on and I have to admire her and everyone else who have thought several times to stop, cried even, but instead gritted their teeth and started another day irrespective of weather; tired, in pain, wondering why you are doing it, dodgy morale but deep inside that "something" which keeps you going, that "something" which many of us never even know we posses!
I should add my partner passes on her brief contacts with other pilgrims; sometimes sad encounters of being in a bad physical shape but not willing or able to make the decision to stop, perhaps the biggest decision of all.
For all of you who have been there, I salute you :)
And I make a salute to the woman you talked about in your story.
Wish you both well, Peter.

Thanks Peter. I am immensely proud of her. We only got together recently and she often spoke of her "walks" which I didn't, couldn't, really relate to as my passion has been for two wheels for many years. She text'd me this evening. "I will only do 12k tomorrow as it's difficult.." Bit of an understatement as I was there on Google and I see you did it last year so you know, and I shuddered at the thought of cycling it LOL.
Boy am I humbled and I have to say this site and what it's all about has truly opened up a new dimension for me after losing my wife a couple of years ago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.