• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello!

camelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept. 14 - Oct. 18 (2012); Finisterre/Muxia April (2016)
Hi all! My name is Ellen, I am 66 and I live in Alberta, Canada. I plan to kick El Camino off my Bucket List and do the walk solo in Sept-Oct/2012. This site has already given me a lot of valuable information and I look forward to gaining my knowledge in the next 6 months!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
An autumn Camino. I like it! Hope bucket-listing allows for some lingering, and, dare I say, dawdling.

Buen Camino, Ellen

Rob

Thanks Rob, I plan to do just that! I must say though, that after reading several posts I am doing my best not to get cold feet!!

Ellen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like most of life, looking at little bits makes the whole thing less overwhelming. You walk the camino one step at a time, and the next step is always optional. Each day you will have the option to walk 3 km or 30 km, with many options to stop in between, so you can accomplish each day in manageable parts. If you avoid artificial constraints, such as "I must start in a certain place," "I must do it in 30 days," and "it is cheating to take a bus," you will leave yourself free to enjoy each moment. The big picture can be overwhelming even for repeat offenders; once you know you can do the small parts, the big parts fall into place.

Planning can alleviate some stress, so think through the ways you will overcome each possible obstacle. Don't focus on the obstacle, but rather focus on the solution. Once you know that you can deal with each part, then the entire camino seems less ominous.

Have fun!

Thanks for the words of wisdom falcon269, truly appreciated. I have read so many posts on so many different subjects, that I have decided to just DO IT! I have ordered John Brierley's book and I'm sure that also will give me a lot of answers. I hesitate to ask too many questions on this forum because, as I have found out, just about every topic has already been asked and then some! :roll:

What keeps going on in my mind though, is how do you make reservations ahead for lodging if you're not sure how many km's you'll walk each day?

Ellen

how do you make reservations ahead for lodging if you're not sure how many km's you'll walk each day
A good argument for not making reservations! I almost never make reservations, and almost never have been turned away. There is almost always a nearby alternative. (Lots of "almosts" in there because nothing is absolutely true.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to be clear...if you intend to use albergues then as Falcon says most people simply walk from one albergue to the next one with available beds. There are many on the Camino Frances. If however you wish to sleep in hotels or hostales then depending on the time of the year you may well be advised to book ahead - and that means you are going to have to plan where you are walking to!

Camelle, I just checked the post and saw that you are planning a Sept/Oct Camino. I live in Vancouver, Washington (not B.C.) and I plan to leave St. Jean Pied du Port on Aug 31 (it is a full moon that night and for some reason that seems a cool time to start a journey). Let me know if we might over lap. Jenny

Hi Jenny: For now my plan is to leave late Sept, if my plans change, I will definitely let you know! Are you walking solo? Tell me a a bit about yourself?
Ellen

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Johnnywalker: I appreciate your reply and I think I will let the Camino decide where I will sleep every night. I have read a lot of older posts and although I learned a lot, it is going to be "MY" walk and I will follow my gut (after the yellow signs, of course!)
Ellen

camelle said:
Hi Jenny: For now my plan is to leave late Sept, if my plans change, I will definitely let you know! Are you walking solo? Tell me a a bit about yourself?
Ellen

Ellen, I am 56 and plan to walk the Camino solo too. The Camino definitely "called" to me, 3 months ago it wasn't even on my mind and then I saw "The Way" and realized I wanted to do it. It had been buried on my life list and forgotten as I raised my kids (10 years ago I read Shirley MacLaines book
and decided I would do it 'someday'). Next year I am kid free for a year so I am off! From what I have been hearing from Pilgrims later in September is not as hot and not as many people. I still think I
will go earlier but who knows? How did you come to the Camino? Jenny

Jenny, thanks for your reply. I heard about the Camino about 5 or 6 years ago and immediately knew I wanted to have that experience, but, as you well know, life gets in the way and when my good friend told me last fall that her daughter was walking the Camino, it hit me like a ton of bricks, YES!! I wanted to do that still! Surprisingly enough there was an article in our newspaper about a mom and her daughter who had walked the Camino that summer. That did it. Jan. 7 I made up my mind to do it and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. We saw the movie "The Way" a couple of weeks ago, after I had made my definite decision, we truly enjoyed it. I like the idea of walking at the end of September and all of October. I love the changing of the colours and seasons and cooler weather. I am researching equipment and figuring out how to get there. I am leaving my husband at home and he is getting used to that idea :wink: I also read Shirley MacLaine's book 6 years ago and enjoyed it. Who knows, our paths may very well cross on our Way to Santiago. I have a strong desire to go on to Finisterre and complete the entire "journey". You?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
camelle said:
Jenny, thanks for your reply. I heard about the Camino about 5 or 6 years ago and immediately knew I wanted to have that experience, but, as you well know, life gets in the way and when my good friend told me last fall that her daughter was walking the Camino, it hit me like a ton of bricks, YES!! I wanted to do that still! Surprisingly enough there was an article in our newspaper about a mom and her daughter who had walked the Camino that summer. That did it. Jan. 7 I made up my mind to do it and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. We saw the movie "The Way" a couple of weeks ago, after I had made my definite decision, we truly enjoyed it. I like the idea of walking at the end of September and all of October. I love the changing of the colours and seasons and cooler weather. I am researching equipment and figuring out how to get there. I am leaving my husband at home and he is getting used to that idea :wink: I also read Shirley MacLaine's book 6 years ago and enjoyed it. Who knows, our paths may very well cross on our Way to Santiago. I have a strong desire to go on to Finisterre and complete the entire "journey". You?
Ellen, we may overlap. I am an anthropologist by training and I want to detour up to Altamira to see the caves which may add a week to my journey. I also want to go to Muxia and Finisterre at the end. Do they have a Canadian Pilgrims of the Camino group in Alberta? They just started an American chapter near me in Portland and I found it so helpful to talk to former Pilgrims and Hospetilero's. They had a lot of good advice about gear. If I have enough money I want to try to take my time and enjoy the spiritual sites and the archaelogical sites (Roman, Celts, etc.) Mostly I need to get into shape, you are way ahead on that! Jenny

Hola Jenny,
The caves at Altamira are awe inspiring. We were able to go down many years ago before they were closed. Now I think you only see the reconstruction unless you can get a permit. There is a new museum there we want to visit if possible on our way home after our Camino.
If you start on the Camino del Norte you walk almost past Altamira. There are other interesting sites too along that route. There are other caves still open nearby and also at Ribadesalla (Cueva de Tito Bustillo) on the Norte. There is a good museum in Grandas and a castro at Castro on the Primitivo. The Roman walls of Lugo, also on the Primitivo, are well worth a visit too.
We hope to walk through Grandas and Castro this year as well as Lugo. We went to Lugo after our Camino last year - 1 hour bus ride from Santiago. It is a lovely route historically and spiritually.
Buen Camino

Tia Valeria said:
Hola Jenny,
The caves at Altamira are awe inspiring. We were able to go down many years ago before they were closed. Now I think you only see the reconstruction unless you can get a permit. There is a new museum there we want to visit if possible on our way home after our Camino.
If you start on the Camino del Norte you walk almost past Altamira. There are other interesting sites too along that route. There are other caves still open nearby and also at Ribadesalla (Cueva de Tito Bustillo) on the Norte. There is a good museum in Grandas and a castro at Castro on the Primitivo. The Roman walls of Lugo, also on the Primitivo, are well worth a visit too.
We hope to walk through Grandas and Castro this year as well as Lugo. We went to Lugo after our Camino last year - 1 hour bus ride from Santiago. It is a lovely route historically and spiritually.
Buen Camino

Tia thanks for your info. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you,,I have a hard time finding out when people respond to my posts. I will be doing the Camino Frances so I will have to detour up to Altamira. I know the cave is closed I just want to see where it is. I lectured about the paleolithic caves for years in my college classes and have always wanted to see the area. I want them to be preserved so I don't mind seeing the reproduction, they sound so amazing. I will make a note of the other areas too. Are they on the Frances route or Norte (which did you do?) Thanks again, Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The caves are all on the Norte, as well as dinosaur footprints near Ribadesella and not right on the Camino but near. All the others are actually on the Primitivo, beyond Oviedo, and Lugo is only 102kms from Santiago (approx 1 hour on the Freire bus) if you are not walking that way.
We are considering Altamira for after our Camino, but it is on our way home as we go from Santander.
Buen Camino
PS The cave of Tito Bustillo at Ribadesella, you need to book your ticket for a set time, usually the day before. Cave paintings there too, good but not like Altamira.

Tia Valeria said:
The caves are all on the Norte, as well as dinosaur footprints near Ribadesella and not right on the Camino but near. All the others are actually on the Primitivo, beyond Oviedo, and Lugo is only 102kms from Santiago (approx 1 hour on the Freire bus) if you are not walking that way.
We are considering Altamira for after our Camino, but it is on our way home as we go from Santander.
Buen Camino
PS The cave of Tito Bustillo at Ribadesella, you need to book your ticket for a set time, usually the day before. Cave paintings there too, good but not like Altamira.

Tia, you have great information. Dinosaur footprints...Roman ruins, Paleolithic Caves and the beauty of Spain. It all seems like gravy to this anthropologist on top of the deep spiritual experience. I have been talking to former Pilgrims in my area and most of them have done 2 or 3 Camino's, they say it is addictive. How many have you done in all? Jenny

We walked part of the Primitivo in 2010, but returned to the Norte east of Ribadasella due to circumstances. That is when we visited Tito Bustillo.
In 2011 we walked the Inglés and then took the bus to Lugo on the way home. We had visited briefly in 2009 after Terry's Camino, when he spent a 'rest day' in Lugo.
Altamira, we weren't on pilgrimage when we had permits to go into the caves, staying in Santillana and then visited Santiago by car.
So this year will be Terry's 3rd Camino and my 2nd plus the part Camino walk of 2010.

Not so much addictive but the feeling that this is the camino we want to walk together, then we'll hang up our 'Camino' boots and visit those places we haven't seen yet - Covadonga being one. Still as walkers but not aiming to reach Santiago again after this year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.