• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello!!

Stuart Selkirk

Time of past OR future Camino
Last 100km (Oct 2013)
Apart from having watched the film, I am a Camino virgin. However, I have just booked flights with Ryanair to Porto on 7 Oct 13 and back to UK from Santiago on 14th Oct. The plan is to get to Tui by bus, and then to walk the last 100km and get certificate, and fly back to be able to continue paying the mortgage!! I have a couple of questions; do I need to pre-book accom, or should I be ok to wing it? And does that sound like a realistic timetable? I'm 57 but reasonably fit, and am treating this as training for a Himalayan trek in March 2014. Any advice/criticism/comments welcomed!
Thanks
Stu

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Stuart Selkirk said:
The plan is to get to Tui by bus, and then to walk the last 100km and get certificate [...] do I need to pre-book accom, or should I be ok to wing it?
You should be able to wing it during October:D

Hi Stu, welcome :) I will be somewhere on Camino also between those dates, I intend to be able to wing it also regarding accommodation. Think there is loads of options for beds at that time of year....also my first Camino so don't really know what to expect but trust that everything will work out the way it is meant too :D Best of luck on your journey...maybe we will meet.

Buen Camino
Aidan :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello both Fraluchi and Aidan. Thanks for the welcoming posts! I guess there must be a cloud over the whole thing atm, but I have decided that even if the route does not pass the site of the crash, I will detour and pay homage anyway, as I imagine thousands will.

Feeling nervous about the trip, lots of stuff going on at home, so it's an opportunity to be still (!!). You know what I mean. Yeah maybe we will meet up Aidan, and swap stories!

So Buen Camino (Spanish? Portuguese? I feel so ignorant!)

Stu

Stuart Selkirk said:
Apart from having watched the film, I am a Camino virgin. However, I have just booked flights with Ryanair to Porto on 7 Oct 13 and back to UK from Santiago on 14th Oct. The plan is to get to Tui by bus, and then to walk the last 100km and get certificate, and fly back to be able to continue paying the mortgage!! I have a couple of questions; do I need to pre-book accom, or should I be ok to wing it? And does that sound like a realistic timetable? I'm 57 but reasonably fit, and am treating this as training for a Himalayan trek in March 2014. Any advice/criticism/comments welcomed!
Thanks
Stu

Hola Stu,

Welcome to the Forum!

You should have no trouble finding a bunk along the Portuguese Camino in October.

Valenca,Portugal, is across the river Mino from Tui in Spain. You can walk across the famous bridge by Gustave Eiffel of Parisian tower fame to get from one city/country to the other.

For further information on this Camino in Galicia from Tui north to Santiago check these links.

http://camino.xacobeo.es/en/routes/portuguese-way

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... portugues/

http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=43

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret
Thanks for this. Had a quick look at the links, really helpful! Everyone on this site seems to be extremely friendly and helpful! It actually makes the adventure seem a little less scary. I have a week's break from work w/c 5 August, so am going to spend some of that time making some proper arrangements for this trip.

Thanks again

Stu

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Hello again
Received my Forum badge in the post, so now it all seems that bit more real! Now only 2 months to go, could really do with stress fractured meta tarsal healing properly! But am now beginning to get excited, nervous....to be honest, I just want to get started!

Good luck to all other newbies

Stu

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning everyone! I am planning to do the Portuguese camino in September/October by ebike. And on foot, together with my partner, in April 2025. I live in La Palma, Canary Islands, so I was...
What are the bests meals and drinks i need to try on my camino ?
Hola, peregrinos. I set out from St Jean on 7 September 2001. Yes, four days before That Day in New York, so that was an interesting time for sure! Aside from that, the airline I was booked to go...
The pilgrimage doesn't end at Santiago cathedral steps. Before newfangled trains, planes and automobiles were invented, pilgrims had to walk back home. That's what I intend to do! Does anyone know...
Hello, NEWBIE here :) I am hoping - after an eon of wanting to do the Camino - to start in Le Puy and walk the Chemin du Puy / Via Podiensis / GR65, then the Frances all the way to Santiago...
I am three days away from Santiago so the time has come to submit the on line pre-registration form to the Pilgrim Office. First response needed is to enter the 'Way' completed. I walked the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.