• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello

Aarleks

Hi all,
Been lurking here for a while. Lots of great info being shared in these forums.

My name is Alex, I'm from Australia, and I'm heading off on my first camino in early September (seems a few Aussies are doing that), probably starting from Le Puy. I have the great privilege of being able to do this for work as I'm researching a PhD on spiritual travel. Would love to meet up with some other forum members over there. :D

I must say I'm very excited about finally being able to walk the camino. It's been a dream of mine for about 10 years now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Aarleks,

I noticed your from Sydney as well. I'm not sure if your aware, every 2 months a group of pilgrims who have walked the Camino and people like us who intend to walk it, gather and share experiences and information. I've been once before and it's a great place to gather info. The next gathering is held on Saturday 2nd June at:

The Spanish Club
88 Liverpool Street
Near Town Hall Station
12 noon

Cheers
Sonia
:D

Hi Sonia,
I had heard of the group and was hoping to find someone to tag along with. I'll certainly be heading along on the 2nd.

Thanks for the heads-up. 8) Is there anyone I should contact before turning up?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Alex,

I'll be at the gathering on the 2nd as well if you want to meet up with someone. I believe a lady by the name of Sandra runs it, she no longer sends out reminders, so the best place to visit for regular updates is:

http://www.csj.org.uk/australia.htm

Hope this helps you out.

Whereabouts in Sydney you from?

Cheers
Sonia

Hello Alex

Thats great that it is for your phd. I'm heading out early september as well so from LePuy so I'm sure I'll see you along the way. Glad to see someone else leaving the same time. Let me know how your getting on in your preparation and if you have any tips and I'll do the same

Bright Eyes

I'd love to meet you at the meeting, or before. Haven't been to the Spanish Club before, though I'm told it's a nice palce. I'll email Sandra and tell her I'm coming.

Bright Eyes, I'll keep you posted. Are you setting off from Le Puy too? My first tip is start training early. I've already identified a problem in my foot that would have ended up stopping me on the Camino. As a result of identifying it in training I will have it under control before I leave. :D

Oh, I should say, I live in Darlinghurst. 8)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Alex,

I totally agree with you regarding training prior to the Camino, I have a problem with shattered knee cartilage, which is under control at the moment, hoping it won't effect my walk....Which I'm sure it won't... :wink:

I try and walk daily for an hour or so and leave the longer walks for the weekends. Seeing your a Sydneysider, have you ever walked the Manly Scenic Walk? (Up and back?) It's an awesome 18km walk... I highly recommend it.. Do you have any suggestions on other walks around the area?

I'm from the Northern beaches, there are some great walking tracks there as well for my morning walks.

I'd like to meet up with a fellow soon to be pilgrim and find out why people like us are sooo drawn towards this Camino...

You can email at:
travellingsonn@gmail.com

Ciao for now
Sonia

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.