• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Here we goooo!

Thanks so much!❤️ Weather was pretty cold and rainy when we started out, and now it’s cool in the mornings and evenings, but hot in the afternoons. We checked the weather every day before we walked. Layering is key. If there was any rain in the forecast, we wore or brought our rain jackets and pants. Otherwise, we had super comfy hiking pants that we wore every day. We brought 2 pair. We wore 1/4 zip fleece lined shirts literally every day. We would wear either thin thermal liners under them on cool days or just a dry fit t-shirt on hotter ones. We also brought bucket sun hats, and ended up wearing those often. I brought a lounging set as well, but could have done without it. I used merino wool socks. My daughter swore by her Bombas. We wore mostly black and I was very happy we’d done that. There were some pretty dirty, wet days. I do think 2 pairs of shoes is important. The pair I spent a fortune on ended up being far inferior to the much cheaper Brooks trail runners I bought just days before we left. It was nice being able to go back and forth, especially if one pair was still wet. As far as what I wish I had brought with me, we both agree that either reef walkers or all-weather sandals would have been helpful a few times. The day we were stuck by deep water, we could have put those on and trudged right through it. Also, always carry a dry pair of socks with you lol. Have an amazing Camino! ❤️❤️
Thank you Cheryl - Yes to the extra socks ❤️that wee bit of luxury ! I arrive in Porto in 9 days so excited! I will try do some short daily posts or every other day to help others as your posts helped me! 🙏Jen

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Congratulations Chery! I enjoyed reading all you notes aobut your journey!

I was originally planning this Camino solo, but my 27-year-old daughter decided it was a journey she was called to make as well. We’re from Indiana in the U.S., and flew in on TAP with a direct flight from EWR. We spent the day in NY before our 1 AM flight.

I have several reasons for my Camino, one of which is to honor both of my parents. I’ve lost them both, and miss them terribly. They would be so excited about this journey. We are currently staying at Maria Da Sé Historic House right by Sé Cathedral. What an incredible welcome to Porto. Maria’s husband picked us up from the airport for 30 Euros and gave us a lovely tour of the city on our way in. When we arrived, Maria surprised us with freshly baked pasteis de nata and port wine. We love them, and the hotel is lovely and perfectly situated.

It’s very rainy in the city at the moment. We were prepared for rain on the Camino, because of the time of year. We both have great rain suits. What we did not bring was an umbrella lol. Ahhh well.🥴😂 We got settled in our room, then headed right out to Sé Cathedral. The rain had stopped and there was an amazing cellist playing outside. The music in that surreal setting literally brought me to tears. We entered the cathedral, and received our first stamp! We then toured the cathedral, which is beyond stunning with so much history. We prayed for a bit, then headed upstairs for a beautiful view. By the time we were finished, it was pouring again. Remember those great rain suits I mentioned? We forgot them since it had stopped raining when we left lol. At least the hotel was close!

Our Camino will be a bit different than the norm. We both have hectic lives back home. I wanted to ensure that my experience was positive. I’ve pre-booked private rooms at hotels along the entire route, instead of albergues. This way, we know exactly what we have to walk each day. We are mostly doing the central route, but have chosen to use the Senda Literal to head from Porto Cathedral to Matosinhos, then to Vila do Conde, where we will cut over to Arcos to meet the Central. We will end in Santiago de Compostela on the 14th, and will spend a couple of days there.

We have not trained one iota to do this. My daughter is in amazing shape. We’ll find out what kind of shape I’m in lol. I’d like to say that while it is quite special to be here for Easter, it brings its own set of challenges. Many restaurants, etc. are closed for the holiday, so things could get interesting for our first couple of days. We’re pretty adaptable, so we’ll figure out something.

With limited options, we ended up at Sé Catedral Restaurant across the street from the cathedral. It was actually really good, and we were able to try the national dish, bacalhau. So good! Headed back around 9:30 this evening. The walk back was so breathtaking, with the narrow cobblestone lanes, and the Cathedral lit up over the city. We were both in awe.

We officially begin our journey tomorrow! We are using Pilbeo, and will only carry day packs with us as we go. I can feel the disapproval already haha. I salute all of you carrying everything and sleeping in one room. It’s just not for me, and I believe this to be a personal journey that can be done in multiple ways. I’ve planned this entire route and all of its stops, and we used this amazing forum to help us plan what we need to bring. We’ll see how it goes! Bom Camino, everyone!
Loved reading your post. Please remember, everyone’s journey is different and it is YOUR journey that matters. I am on your side…I am also trying to plan with private hotels, with some help. I certainly wish you and your daughter a beautiful journey!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A big "yes" to both things! You have described the Pilgrim House very well as it was my experience too.
The Rooftop tour of the Cathedral is really extra special and outstanding. My first time going, I was able to sign up for the English speaking tour, but I missed out on it my second visit as only Spanish was an option. Even so, it was a great experience to be up so high looking around the city with its 360° views. They now have a tour that also includes the tower which has been opened up in the last year or so.
Im interested in doing this! Is it fine to book this on the day at the cathedral or do you suggest I reserve on the website?

Im interested in doing this! Is it fine to book this on the day at the cathedral or do you suggest I reserve on the website?
On my first Camino in 2015 I walked in and arranged the English speaking rooftop tour a day ahead. Two years later I did the same, but missed out on the English version offered as it is less often. I would suggest you now book it on-line ahead of time as I assume it is the more popular way now,especially if you prefer it in English.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back