• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi all!

richie_a

My name's Richie, or Rich to some.

In 2002 I had broken up with my girlfriend, quit my job in computers and set off to see India, Nepal, Egypt and then headed to southern France for the Camino before a relaxing few weeks in Maui to have a windsurf.

Yes, it was a soul searching trip, but also time to enjoy myself and clear the head. I had no issues during 3 months treking through India or Nepal, to base camp, Gokyo Lake or through Egypt. Toulouse and Carcassonne were wonderful. The moment I stepped off the train in Lourdes I was hardly able to take a step, my feet were that painful. Same shoes, same equipment, but less weight (only 24kg!!!!). I tried different shoes, holy water and rest, no relief, but got on the train to St Jean Pied de Port anyway. With very little improvement I was still determinded to set off for Roncesvalles the following day (2 days after arriving in Lourdes). It was my first 'test' of the Camino.

I think expectations are something to leave at home. I had expected a lot of personal reflecting time, but other than an hour here or there I was often meeting at talking with wonderful other pilgrims. I was actually able to have a day to myself along an old Roman route which was ~10km longer, and hence the only other people I saw were farmers.

I met healers, doctors, artists, athletes, wealthy people, poor people, families taking 3 months to walk with prams, students, people who walked out of their front doors in Germany, Switzerland, Denmark and walked all the way. There was such a mix of and wonderful people, some who you wish were a lot faster than (and away from) you, some you will remember forever, others that you will always love in your heart, others you wish you could meet again and of course your 100km team who would take turns in saving beds for each other. On reflection there are also those who taught you so much but did not understand at the time. Once I arrived at Finisterre I felt wonderful but was disappointed with my 'alone' time and upset at my expectations. Within a week, a month and definitely now I readily and happily tell people that the Camino de Santiago was the single most wonderful journey of my life.

So today, my knees have never healed from carrying 24kg along the way, I do not run anymore, but I have a wonderful job as a paramedic on the southern coast of Australia. I am planning my 10 year anniversary Camino this August. Knowing there's a possibility of my knees not holding up, I am looking at starting my Camino in Porto, walking through to SdC and HOPEFULLY out to Finisterre and Muxia (which I missed last time), but which I am more excited about than any other section.

Last time I walked it was in early June - July, this time I anticipate leaving Porto around 10th August. I'm a little concerned about the heat and rufigio availability, but it's all part of the experience. I have a newish pack, new shoes, new socks, new pants and some old shirts for prosperity. My weight will be around 10kg and I will have a week or two afterwards to rest and enjoy some of Spain that I haven't seen.

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions in the coming weeks and look forward to being involved with other topics

Thanks for your time
Buen Camino
Richie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
24 kilos (I love that you say only! lol)! holy crap! No wonder you had a hard time. Your knees will probably be fine if you use poles and take a more realistic 5-7 kilos. Just listen to your body. Don't rush. Stop when you need to.

Good luck!

24 kgs is daft - maybe you forgot to leave out the spare wheel for the car.... I find around 7 kgs OK for me.
Anyway - I found the camino from Porto to SdC delightful: I walked it in April last year. Photo links down the bottom of my Santiago page on my web site -
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Buen camino!
Stephen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ha Ha, yes Stephen, very daft. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and so is travelling with one purpose - the Camino. Back then I had a travel pack which in itself probably weighed >5kg. Camera gear >5kg. Souvenirs for family and friends from Nepal, India and Egypt. Was it smart? probably not; daft? probably; would I do it again? absolutely!!
Thank you for the link to the photos, I look forward to enjoying them.

Vagabondetta, thank you for your words of encouragement, I will be leaving enough time for some rest breaks, and a slow paced trip to Muxia, with an extra stop at Cee, my memory of it was a beautiful friendly little town. I hadn't thought of walking poles, I will investigate!!

Much thanks
Richie

Hi Rich: No wonder you could not walk after carrying all that weight!!. I followed advised from previous Pereginos and found the ratio of 10% of your body weight was very good. If you are walking from Porto, there is a good network of Albergues and if you find the distance between them too long there is good cheap accommodation to be had both in Portugal and Spain. No need for many clothes as you can wash and dry from one day to the next at that time of the year, In the Albergue at Pontevedra they have washer and dryer service for €4.00 first come first serve basis. I also used trekking poles and are wonderfull, will not go on any walk without them. Bom Caminho.
Cote 8) :arrow:

Hi Cote,
Thanks for the advice. A washer sounds like a luxury . . . SdC was the first place I looked for one, I don't quite know what I walked around in while the rest was getting done, but gee it felt good not doing it by hand!!

The poles do sound like a smart move, I am looking at a few now.

THanks again
Richie

ps, Cote, I love your I AM sig! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.