• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi friends. I'm back in the USA.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why...did you spend the limit on your VISA card being away for so long?🤣
Oh, i'm not sure you understand. Visa as in

Schengen Visa.​

Its like how long a non EU person can stay there. Its 90 days in any 180 day period. So basically I have to chill back here for bit. I can wait 3 months and then go back.

Oh, i'm not sure you understand. Visa as in

Schengen Visa.​

Its like how long a non EU person can stay there. Its 90 days in any 180 day period. So basically I have to chill back here for bit. I can wait 3 months and then go back.
Damien, I was only joking! I've been on this forum long enough to know all about it.
I'm sorry I confused you...my apologies.🙂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The downside of Schengen (not that i actually see any real upside to it either). I haven't even started my little zig zag for this year and I'm planning next years trip, although I haven't 100% decided between the Alicante route that a few seem to have done and the Francigena.

You managed to rack up some miles on yours. I thought my aim for this year of 1000 miles was pushing it out a bit, but you, I guess, did quite a bit more than that. :)

I'm hoping to sample a bit more of the VdlP if I have time after I finish. Was looking to head down to A Gudina or maybe Zamora and do a short 7-10 day mini camino back to Santiago. I want to save the Portuguese and Norte for another time.

Anyway, I think you just set the bar for my next Camino, next year. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The downside of Schengen (not that i actually see any real upside to it either). I haven't even started my little zig zag for this year and I'm planning next years trip, although I haven't 100% decided between the Alicante route that a few seem to have done and the Francigena.

You managed to rack up some miles on yours. I thought my aim for this year of 1000 miles was pushing it out a bit, but you, I guess, did quite a bit more than that. :)

I'm hoping to sample a bit more of the VdlP if I have time after I finish. Was looking to head down to A Gudina or maybe Zamora and do a short 7-10 day mini camino back to Santiago. I want to save the Portuguese and Norte for another time.

Anyway, I think you just set the bar for my next Camino, next year. ;)
By the book... 2390 km/ 1457 miles. I was able to walk the way 85 of the 90 days in Europe. Vdlp: 34 days, Norte: 30 days, Coastal Portuguese 10 days, Prim 11 days. The pace/trip really wasnt that insane, really just only sorta aggressive but pretty normal itineraries.

Amazing journey.
What's the secret to losing weight on the Camino?
I never do :oops:
So like 10 days in I realized if I exercised dietary discipline I could transform my body. I completely monitored calories burned (apple heath) and calories consumed (MyFitnessPal). I was sort of agro about it... but probably ate healthier than ever before in my life. I ended up having a total caloric deficit of like 121k.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So like 10 days in I realized if I exercised dietary discipline I could transform my body. I completely monitored calories burned (apple heath) and calories consumed (MyFitnessPal). I was sort of agro about it... but probably ate healthier than ever before in my life. I ended up having a total caloric deficit of like 121k.

Ah, sounds so easy. :rolleyes:
If I just cut out Vino Tinto and Tortilla, I'd probably lose more :)
But then there's the bread, empanada, fries, ......
Maybe not that easy :-( for me anyway........

But well done. What a great Camino!

I actually ate most of meals from the grocery store, which turned out to be economic too! I stopped eating cows and pigs. I think i am basically poultry now from the inside. My new favorite food is Garbanzos Cocidos. A ton of fruits and veggies, so I was never actually hungry. And, well, no beer. Also Cafe Americano instead of con leche. My treat at night was dark chocolate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

If you cut out all the fine things of the Spanish culture ... you could have walked anywhere 😉

We lost weight in just 5 days, eating croissants and baguettes every day. We were short on protein and fat, so added more of those items in greater quantities. Lost muscle in arms because not doing our usual farm chores etc, but our calves looked great!

Amazing journey.
What's the secret to losing weight on the Camino?
I never do :oops:
Consume no more than 2000 calories a day, carry a 15-20kg pack and walk 32km per day. The weight falls off you.

In 2016 I came home weighing roughly 24kg less than when I arrived. I ate well, lots of veg, pasta and chorizo. I was always full. but I worked out I was eating around 1500-2000 calories per day and burning 6000+. It was so good I had to make two new holes in my belt to tighten it up more, as it had gotten so loose.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Consume no more than 2000 calories a day, carry a 15-20kg pack and walk 32km per day. The weight falls off you.

In 2016 I came home weighing roughly 24kg less than when I arrived. I ate well, lots of veg, pasta and chorizo. I was always full. but I worked out I was eating around 1500-2000 calories per day and burning 6000
Now that is aggressive!

10 kg pack for me. 27.71 km/day... averaged burning about 4350 calories / day (active + resting) and consumed about 2771 per day... which felt like a ton of food considering I was getting 70+ grams of fiber a day. (I farted a lot). Maintained a macro nutrient ratio of like 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. That MyFitnessPal app really taught me a ton about nutrition!

OK, so that's breakfast...........what then :oops:

Just teasing. Well done. I couldn't do it.
I love my food too much, and wine, and beer......

I have issues with food and allergies so I find it easy, because I don't have a choice. I tend to eat a boring diet when on Camino, basically the same 3 meals every day (some sort of green veg, but I prefer rocket, cress or spinach, some pasta and a few piece of chorizo). This year I will be trying tubes of tomato paste and maybe some beef stock cubes to try and mix it up a bit.

My true enjoyment comes with those tasty cans of Voll Damm at the end of the day or the odd bottle of Port. :)

Now that is aggressive!

10 kg pack for me. 27.71 km/day... averaged burning about 4350 calories / day (active + resting) and consumed about 2771 per day... which felt like a ton of food considering I was getting 70+ grams of fiber a day. (I farted a lot). Maintained a macro nutrient ratio of like 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. That MyFitnessPal app really taught me a ton about nutrition!
Hah. I wish i could do a 10kg pack. But I have a lot of stuff to carry that isn't optional. ;)

Still it's not as crazy as a guy I met outside Sahagun on my second year. Was a military guy, a ranger. Was carrying a 35kg pack, including six house bricks in the bottom because he couldn't get it heavy enough with all his military kit and camino stuff. He was doing 30-40 mile days back to back, with the intention of completing in some crazy time, like 14 days or something. Some real next level walking. Said he was due back at his barracks 7 days later, somewhere in the US, I think Alabama or somewhere else starting with an A. Never saw him again, but assumed he made it. Nice guy, but somewhat nuts. :p

I have issues with food and allergies so I find it easy, because I don't have a choice. I tend to eat a boring diet when on Camino, basically the same 3 meals every day (some sort of green veg, but I prefer rocket, cress or spinach, some pasta and a few piece of chorizo). This year I will be trying tubes of tomato paste and maybe some beef stock cubes to try and mix it up a bit.

My true enjoyment comes with those tasty cans of Voll Damm at the end of the day or the odd bottle of Port. :)

Hah. I wish i could do a 10kg pack. But I have a lot of stuff to carry that isn't optional. ;)

Still it's not as crazy as a guy I met outside Sahagun on my second year. Was a military guy, a ranger. Was carrying a 35kg pack, including six house bricks in the bottom because he couldn't get it heavy enough with all his military kit and camino stuff. He was doing 30-40 mile days back to back, with the intention of completing in some crazy time, like 14 days or something. Some real next level walking. Said he was due back at his barracks 7 days later, somewhere in the US, I think Alabama or somewhere else starting with an A. Never saw him again, but assumed he made it. Nice guy, but somewhat nuts. :p
There is always someone faster. Someone who goes further. Someone who's walked more caminos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I figured that it was a good way to add veggies to my Camino diet.
Omg. Just go to the grocery store and buy a tomato. Chop it down with your handy knife. Add some goat cheese or mozzarella. Sprinkle salt. So good, if it's a good night get an avocado. Slice it up and eat half (also salted). Next are the garbanzos, omg. 200 gr at dinner and then again at bfast the next day. I'd add raw Broc, cauliflower and carrots. Top it all off with like 115 grams of sliced turkey. And then the chocolate.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well done, Damien Reynolds! I remember your ridiculously appetizing pizza thread from a few months back… :) (My husband and I craved great local pizzas for weeks afterwards.) What an incredible changeup you’ve made in diet these past several months. I bet you must feel great. Thanks for sharing the fitness apps you used on your pilgrimage. Very interesting, very helpful.

Well done, Damien Reynolds! I remember your ridiculously appetizing pizza thread from a few months back… :) (My husband and I craved great local pizzas for weeks afterwards.) What an incredible changeup you’ve made in diet these past several months. I bet you must feel great. Thanks for sharing the fitness apps you used on your pilgrimage. Very interesting, very helpful.
Here's the coolest thing. Every once in a while, well, I got to eat pizza. That's in Arzua. Il Fornacio i think its called. Friends loved it.

Attachments

• bb2fd2a4-85fa-4c27-a9c0-c8150c363493.jpeg
    bb2fd2a4-85fa-4c27-a9c0-c8150c363493.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3076.jpeg
    IMG_3076.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The downside of Schengen (not that i actually see any real upside to it either). …
If Spain isn't your only goal and ninety days isn't too short, Schengen allows you to visit up to 26 countries without having to obtain 26 visas. That's an "upside" for enough people that the Schengen countries have little incentive to change it. (Not an upside for me—ninety days is not enough for any place bigger than Lebanon!)

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back