• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi I am starting my Camino in Roncesvalles on 6th May 2015, It's my first. Any tips?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum. There is advice all over the forum. Take time to read and absorb what's there to guide you, then ask anything you cannot find the answer to and there will always be people to provide advice.

Welcome Bernice!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bernice, and welcome to this forum.....my advice is to read all you can, but then do what you need to do. That said, I think the best advice I can give you is to walk your own walk. Don't walk faster just because you meet up with people you like and want to 'stay' with them, you will meet them again and again as you all make your way to Santiago. Be at peace with your pace :) Buen Camino :) :)

I had a problem with exhaustion, so my recommendation is that you give yourself a couple of days to get rid of the jet lag and to make sure you are well rested before you start. I went from the plane to the bus to Roncesvalles and had to spend 3 days on doctors orders in Pamplona before I could continue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Train and then train somemore. When you think your physicaly fit and ready, train more. Take it easy the first week. Drink lots of water before, during, and after your daily trek. Take frequent breaks. Listen to your body when it talks to you. Allow yourself days to do nothing. As stated above, pack light. You can buy extra grar on the Caminos if you need it. Take you time, it's not a foot race. Above all, have fun!

Happy Trails

Hi I am starting my first Camino on 6th May 2015 in Roncesvalles, any tips?

Bernice, welcome! If knowing your age and/or your estimated fitness level we might give you better advice.

I myself started out from Roncesvalles (and because of age and fitness level, I chose to not walk over the Pyrenees). - My best tip to you would be to start out without any expectations. I did so and was ready to abort at any time. Already on my first day, I at one time laid down with my head in the shade and asked to be immediately transmogriffed back home - no such possibility though ... - and finally figured that there is more to life ...

So I upped and walked again - and had a lovely camino - and ups and downs are inevitable on the camino (mentally) as they are in daily life ... - and certainly also physically ... - i.e. those physical ups and downs ...

Buen camino from annelise

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm now just back home from Logrono having started in St Jean. My hip and knee gave out so will have to return . My advice

1. Comfortable light hiking shoes slightly broken in.
2. Light weight backpack . I carried 24 lbs , Im 240 lbs ..to much for me .. train with your backpack as much as possible before going.
3. Train train train... i started 3 yrs ago .. just dont over exert .
4 walk slowly..take your time ..enjoy each moment.
5. Keep a positive and friendly disposition as you will be making many new friends and meeting incredible people .
6. Be considerate in the hostels especially when preparing to leave . Not all pilgrims are early risers or feeling well .
7. If you decide to leave from St Jean you will experience a conundrum. . A gobsmacking view with incredible excursion ..to me it was the hardest physical event in my life. Im 68 with diabetes so have issues but if you do go ..do it s.l.o.w.l.y

Last edited:
@Bernice Matthews welcome to the forum. I love that you have chosen to start walking in Roncesvalles.

I think it sad that so much emphasis is put on starting at St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port and to walk the route Napoleon. Granted, it is a lovely walk (provided the weather lets you see, which it frequently does not) but there are many places in the world with mountains and good views. It is not even historically correct if you are wanting to walk the Medieval pilgrim route (which is via Valcarlos).

Roncesvalles is special. It is a wonderful place to start, the traditional place for all Spanish pilgrims. Go to the mass in the evening. Regardless of your religious beliefs or non beliefs, the history is palpable. Through the ages pilgrims have taken rest and shelter there, and been blessed and encouraged for the journey ahead. The Albergue is modern, but in the church and during the mass you will feel the presence of those who have walked before. Being blessed together is a wonderful bonding moment with those who will share your journey.

Remember to stop and turn around a couple times a day! The view behind you can be magnificent too. Some of my favorite views were to see sun light rising around the steeple of the village church that I'd walked through earlier.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Train and then train somemore. When you think your physicaly fit and ready, train more. Take it easy the first week. Drink lots of water before, during, and after your daily trek. Take frequent breaks. Listen to your body when it talks to you. Allow yourself days to do nothing. As stated above, pack light. You can buy extra grar on the Caminos if you need it. Take you time, it's not a foot race. Above all, have fun!

Happy Trails
I agree with the training, (although I didn't and just started slowly and got fitter as I went along ) but nothing can prepare you for carrying a 7kg+ pack day after day after day....unless you can do that for a couple of weeks when you are training? But, you know what....I am sure you will be fine and that you will have a wonderful experience :)

Pay heed to the weather conditions at that time of year. 2014 was not so bad but 2013 was horrible. There are several of us who live nearby who post anecdotal reports during March, April and May, it can be iffy but definitely not a reason to change your plans.
PS:
I'm headed back to sunny Florida at the end of the week for my winter retreat and the only report I can pass on about the Pyrenees on 26 October 2014 is the weather is brilliant and looks like it will remain that way until early November. Then who knows?

Hi Bernice again, thanks to everyone for the advice given. I will be reading and preparing for the next 7 months. Speak to you all soon with lots of questions. Gracias

Hi Bernice - I started in Roncesvalles and on the whole I am glad I did but there is a little nagging voice that says I wish I started in St Jean... to which my husband says nonsense and I should get over myself :D

If I was going to do it again this is what I'd change or recommend...
  • Take a sleeping bag and not a liner
  • I would walk to Zubiri on the first day instead of stopping early. I decided to take things very easy in the first few days... your own fitness levels will dictate this for you... I broke the first stage into two and was soooo bored. I stopped after 12km, it was before lunch and really wish I had continued on. If you're worried about accommodation or beds you can book into a hostel in advance for the first night in Zubiri so that you know you're sorted... then you can walk slowly and take your time.
  • Take coloured t-shirts... I got very fed up with black and navy and bought 2 new ones. I also took 2 pairs of identical black trousers and really wish I'd taken 2 different colours/styles... it sounds ridiculous but you're wearing these clothes night and day so you do get a little bored
  • I took a sarong and used it loads... it was a skirt, a blanket, a towel and a scarf... in leon I used it like a wrap to look a bit more of a townie too... light and cheap this was a great tip from other pilgrims
  • Get a poncho with proper sleeves - I used a poncho that had sort of sleeves but the rain would trickle down the gaps... I've inherited an altus poncho as a gift from another pilgrim and this is much more like a coat... works a treat
  • I would take a few small luxury items... a tiny bottle of perfume, a little pot of face cream, a lip gloss. I was so worried about weight I only took the essentials... I bought so many things along the way I think I'd added 2kg to my pack at the end and I never really noticed. Dont go mad as a lighter pack is wonderful but take a couple of treasures with you
  • If you can take a bar of Lush shampoo... it can come in its own little tin, very light, smells wonderful, my hair felt great and it easily lasted the entire trip
  • Use Vics menthol rub on your feet... smells wonderful, lubriates and moisturises your feet and just feels very nice
  • Dont assume you'll be able to buy things as you walk. We hit Logrono, Burgos and Leon when the shops were closed... I had to wait until Astorga before I could buy a sleeping bag and a techincal t-shirt
  • GET THE RIGHT SHOES AND SOCKS... did I say that loud enough :D
Of course this is just my list and everyone else would have a different list... but I hope some of it helps. I was so nervous about walking but once I got started I felt well prepared and things just fell into place... have a fabulous time!

p.s. there is also loads of good wifi all along the route

Welcome to our family Bernice! Where are you from? YOU start YOUR Camino where YOU want! Sorry about the capitals, I am not shouting just emphasising. Personally I start at ST Jean because coming from England it is more convenient to travel there. Tips? They are all over the forum for you to find. May I suggest you read the threads and get into the spirit of the forum? However please feel free to ask anything specific you want. There will always be responses (often conflicting ones, but hey that is life and it emphasises that everyone's Camino is different - it is their's). There is a good bunch of peole here and they soon become virtual friends. Who knows, you may well meet some of them on the way, I always do! Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Remember to stop and turn around a couple times a day! The view behind you can be magnificent too. Some of my favorite views were to see sun light rising around the steeple of the village church that I'd walked through earlier.
GreatDane, you are spot on: look back! Not only does it encourage you as what you have done, but it puts things into perspective but can provide you with lovely scenary. Enjoy!

It is pretty cool to see how far you have come too!

Hi Bernice - I started in Roncesvalles and on the whole I am glad I did but there is a little nagging voice .

LesBras, this is too funny! Yes, tiny, tiny bits of luxury can help! I brought sample bottles of perfume for the evening! I love the scent of Vic's, but since it does not come in small bottles I have a mini can of BagBalm. Works wonders! If there is one item I will bring with me on a desert island, it's Burt's Bees beeswax lipbalm. I carry in it in my pocket at all times. Yes to not having 10 km walks unless you are stopping in a particular place or need the rest really bad. After all, you will want to quit everyday after 2, 5 10k, but don't cave in. You can do 15-20 unless, like me, you have a heel spur - which I chose to ignore (not to be done!)

And do start in SJPP - and stop in Ontonos if you must. But if this 40+, 100+ pounds overweight woman can do it, you can.

As for training ... isn't the Camino "training"? Again, if I can do it, you will fly through it.

Enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes start in St Jean other wise you will miss the view and a moderate challenge and perhaps regret it
Hey Bernice. I'll be a couple of days behind you. I start in SJPDP on the 7th. Happy planning. You'll get only the best advice here. My only one tip, don't asked about getting a coffee in a take away container. Bad. Very bad. LOL
Buen Camino

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion it all comes down to your feet. There is a lot of advice on this forum about foot care. I recommend that you read it all. Unfortunately there is no one solution for everyone, but most would agree with the idea about changing socks every couple of hours when possible. I used safety pins to hang the wet ones on the back of my pack so they could dry on sunny days. The sun is usually behind you most of the way.

Please bring some lightweight opaque plastic bags to store your used toilet paper (if the need arises while you are walking between villages) until you can find a proper trash bin. Sadly many peregrinos forget that others are following and would prefer to see a clean trail.

Have fun with this amazing adventure. Keep a positive attitude and have a Buen Camino!

@Bernice Matthews welcome to the forum. I love that you have chosen to start walking in Roncesvalles.

I think it sad that so much emphasis is put on starting at St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port and to walk the route Napoleon. Granted, it is a lovely walk (provided the weather lets you see, which it frequently does not) but there are many places in the world with mountains and good views. It is not even historically correct if you are wanting to walk the Medieval pilgrim route (which is via Valcarlos).

Roncesvalles is special. It is a wonderful place to start, the traditional place for all Spanish pilgrims. Go to the mass in the evening. Regardless of your religious beliefs or non beliefs, the history is palpable. Through the ages pilgrims have taken rest and shelter there, and been blessed and encouraged for the journey ahead. The Albergue is modern, but in the church and during the mass you will feel the presence of those who have walked before. Being blessed together is a wonderful bonding moment with those who will share your journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Kanga correct the first time we did the Frances we had to go via Valcarlos and though it had its own beauty I always regreted not going over the top, this year we did it because the weather was fine and my wife Linda thought that the experience was one of the highlights of our Frances. so do what you think is best for you and I have to say that I would love to atart in Le Puy but that is unrealistic for us so we will have to live with some regrets My main message is do it it is not a destination, it is a journey, but an adictive one

Bernice, my advice is to just be as open as possible to everything you're going to experience on the Camino. Let "Yes" be a word you use often and willingly. And expect to see the best sides of the people you meet. You won't be disappointed.

Hiya stay at the monastery at Rosconvalles it's fabulous place got a real pilgrim feel to it, if you can and have the time, fitness level , and determination start from Saint jean de pied port the views from the climb up to rosconvalles is magic unforgettable buen camino

Hi Bernice - I started in Roncesvalles and on the whole I am glad I did but there is a little nagging voice that says I wish I started in St Jean... to which my husband says nonsense and I should get over myself :D

If I was going to do it again this is what I'd change or recommend...
  • Take a sleeping bag and not a liner
  • I would walk to Zubiri on the first day instead of stopping early. I decided to take things very easy in the first few days... your own fitness levels will dictate this for you... I broke the first stage into two and was soooo bored. I stopped after 12km, it was before lunch and really wish I had continued on. If you're worried about accommodation or beds you can book into a hostel in advance for the first night in Zubiri so that you know you're sorted... then you can walk slowly and take your time.
  • Take coloured t-shirts... I got very fed up with black and navy and bought 2 new ones. I also took 2 pairs of identical black trousers and really wish I'd taken 2 different colours/styles... it sounds ridiculous but you're wearing these clothes night and day so you do get a little bored
  • I took a sarong and used it loads... it was a skirt, a blanket, a towel and a scarf... in leon I used it like a wrap to look a bit more of a townie too... light and cheap this was a great tip from other pilgrims
  • Get a poncho with proper sleeves - I used a poncho that had sort of sleeves but the rain would trickle down the gaps... I've inherited an altus poncho as a gift from another pilgrim and this is much more like a coat... works a treat
  • I would take a few small luxury items... a tiny bottle of perfume, a little pot of face cream, a lip gloss. I was so worried about weight I only took the essentials... I bought so many things along the way I think I'd added 2kg to my pack at the end and I never really noticed. Dont go mad as a lighter pack is wonderful but take a couple of treasures with you
  • If you can take a bar of Lush shampoo... it can come in its own little tin, very light, smells wonderful, my hair felt great and it easily lasted the entire trip
  • Use Vics menthol rub on your feet... smells wonderful, lubriates and moisturises your feet and just feels very nice
  • Dont assume you'll be able to buy things as you walk. We hit Logrono, Burgos and Leon when the shops were closed... I had to wait until Astorga before I could buy a sleeping bag and a techincal t-shirt
  • GET THE RIGHT SHOES AND SOCKS... did I say that loud enough :D
Of course this is just my list and everyone else would have a different list... but I hope some of it helps. I was so nervous about walking but once I got started I felt well prepared and things just fell into place... have a fabulous time!

p.s. there is also loads of good wifi all along the route
Thank for this wonderful post. I am trying to figure out how to start my walk. I will aim for the spring but am terrified. I will be doing this pilgrimage on my own. I have RA and fibromyalgia so I am on the fence. But my camino mind will not let up!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Everyone seems worried about the walk over the Pyrenees. I know I was and I see it in the posts here. We walked from St. Jean but went the Valcarlos way because the weather was not good on the Route Napoleon in April 2013. Walking up was hard -- I had to stop often and it took us a while to get to Roncesvalles (we left at 8 and go there around 4:30). But I found walking down hills was harder. The two day walk down from Roncesvalles to Pamplona was difficult for me and I had some joint pain and struggled a bit with balance (I have an old ankle injury and some minor knee issues and I sure knew I had those issues on the way down). The single hardest day for me was toward the end walking down from Cruz de Fero to Molinaseca -- I was really tired and hurting when I got to the albergue that day.

I write this just so you think it through and consider that up is not always the hardest! Part of what training will do is help you better evaluate your personal strengths and weakness. But I agree that you should start where you need to start.

Buen Camino and I hope you are able to savor every single moment of your Camino!

The single hardest day for me was toward the end walking down from Cruz de Fero to Molinaseca

Me too! The last 2 hours before Molinaseca was the hardest 2 hours of the entire trip for me. I was also really nervous about climbing O Cebreiro but actually found it not too bad... fortunately! o_O

Everyone seems worried about the walk over the Pyrenees. I know I was and I see it in the posts here. We walked from St. Jean but went the Valcarlos way because the weather was not good on the Route Napoleon in April 2013. Walking up was hard -- I had to stop often and it took us a while to get to Roncesvalles (we left at 8 and go there around 4:30). But I found walking down hills was harder. The two day walk down from Roncesvalles to Pamplona was difficult for me and I had some joint pain and struggled a bit with balance (I have an old ankle injury and some minor knee issues and I sure knew I had those issues on the way down). The single hardest day for me was toward the end walking down from Cruz de Fero to Molinaseca -- I was really tired and hurting when I got to the albergue that day.

I write this just so you think it through and consider that up is not always the hardest! Part of what training will do is help you better evaluate your personal strengths and weakness. But I agree that you should start where you need to start.

Buen Camino and I hope you are able to savor every single moment of your Camino!

I agree. I always find it easier going uphill rather than down. I have heard that treking poles can help and am anxious to try them.

Hi Bernice,
Welcome to the forum.
My twopence halfpenny worth of advice is 'learn some Spanish'. It does not weigh anything but will enhance your whole Camino experience.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bernice
A friend and I are looking to be in R on the night of the 5th so we may bump into each other
We are flying into Bilbao and not quite sure how we will get to R as yet but am working on it

Mike

Hi Mike,
You can get a bus from airport into Bilbao bus station (every half hour and takes about half an hour) and a bus from there to Pamplona. (Alsa Bus) From Pamplona bus station you get the bus to Roncavalles. I think that bus leaves at 6.00pm and arrives in time for the evening Pilgrim Mass at 8.00 pm
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mike,
You can get a bus from airport into Bilbao bus station (every half hour and takes about half an hour) and a bus from there to Pamplona. (Alsa Bus) From Pamplona bus station you get the bus to Roncavalles. I think that bus leaves at 6.00pm and arrives in time for the evening Pilgrim Mass at 8.00 pm
Buen Camino
Thanks for that

1 - Take it easy. Don't plan too much. Make sure you have enough time to never get under pressure to reach somewhere. Each day walk a little less than you think you can. Make sure you always have enough drinking water with you (get information in advance about how long you have to walk before you can get drinks). Minimize the weight you carry. Walking the camino is not a competition. Don't miss the Irache winery wine fountain.
2 - Make sure you have hiking boots which won't give you any problems. As a rule of thumb, when you buy shoes, put on a pair of thick socks, test the shoes standing on a downward slope (the toes must not touch the front), then buy the same shoes half or a full size bigger - if you walk far, your feet will swell; depending on both the outside temperature and on your histamine production, a bit more or less. Use double-layered hiking socks against blisters. Carry Compeed plasters.
3 - Don't expect anything concrete from your walk, like answers to particular questions. You will likely be disappointed. You'll find plenty of answers, but probably not to questions you have asked.
4 - Enjoy yourself! Breathe deeply.

Hi, Bernice,
My planner says we may meet either in Roncesvales or soon along the Camino! Plan to start in SJPDP on 4th or 5th and stay in Orisson.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bernice
A friend and I are looking to be in R on the night of the 5th so we may bump into each other
We are flying into Bilbao and not quite sure how we will get to R as yet but am working on it

Mike
Hi Mike I will now be starting from Roncesvalles on the 8th as I fly into Bilbao on the 5th.
I may bump into you and your friend still. Have you picked up any good tips or are you a seasoned hiker?

Hi Mike I will now be starting from Roncesvalles on the 8th as I fly into Bilbao on the 5th.
I may bump into you and your friend still. Have you picked up any good tips or are you a seasoned hiker?
Hi Bernice
I do a bit of hiking and am in not too serious training at the moment but will ramp it up in March. Daunting prospect all that way but I'm philosophical enough that if I don't finish it in one go I can always go back in say September. This forum is quite brilliant and thanks to those who patiently answer questions that they must have read a hundred times previously!
We arrive in Bilbao fairly early so am hoping to get to R by mid afternoon on the Sunday.
I am not sure the bus runs on a Sunday from P so may get a taxi - anyone want to share?
Also not sure whether or not to book the night at R or not. They want a bank transfer for 20 Euros which is not a problem but it will probably cost more to transfer from the UK in exchange fees. Will it be full early May?

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back