• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi! First camino starting on 03.09.2023

cruiser75

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023 - Camino Primitivo
Hi, I'll be starting the Camino Primitivo this September. This will be my first camino. I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time. Early spring I injured my left knee and I was looking at cancelling the trip. After some longer/steeper hikes since the injury I have decided to go and see how i get on!

I have a lot to do before I leave so I'll be scouring the forums for tips, packing lists, guides etc. I look forward to hearing your suggestions and words of advice.

Buen camino,
Cormac

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, and welcome to the forum. You should be able to find more information here than you would ever want. Feel free to post your starting date and place on this thread, and see if any other forum members have indicated they'll start at the same time and place.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will be starting in what may be the busiest week for pilgrims starting from St Jean Pied de Port for the entire year. I would recommend that you book your first few days up through Pamplona. After that there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrim traffic spreads out.
I think if he's on the primitive this won't be as much of an issue.

That ‘feeling nervous’ is quite natural by the way. Try not to let that overtake your thinking. It dissipates quite quickly once you’re there. Sure, it’s not a walk in the park but you won’t be the first and you won’t be alone. I’m on the cusp of doing my fourth and I still get that nervous feeling in the lead up. It doesn’t last. Prepare and enjoy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read my first post.

I am happy to hear that the Primitivo route will be a little less travelled. I wasn't planning on booking accommodations based on the uncertainty of reaching the towns every night. I am thinking of bringing some form of shelter so in the case of not reaching an albergue I'll have a place to rest.

I can already see myself over packing! Hahaha

For those that have been on the Primitivo route should I be adding water purification/filtration to my pack? Are there enough sources of fresh clean water on the route or is it just a case of filling up in the morning at the albergue? I will bring a two litre bladder carrier with me. Normally this is enough for me however this year due to the high temperatures and a very steep, eight hour hike I ran out for the first time ever. I chose the Primitivo partly because I felt the temperatures would be cooler.

For those that have been on the Primitivo route should I be adding water purification/filtration to my pack? Are there enough sources of fresh clean water on the route or is it just a case of filling up in the morning at the albergue? I will bring a two litre bladder carrier with me. Normally this is enough for me however this year due to the high temperatures and a very steep, eight hour hike I ran out for the first time ever. I chose the Primitivo partly because I felt the temperatures would be cooler.
I didn't have a problem. The one day that might be iffy is the day you take the Hospitales route (if you do - it is recommended). I don't think it is worth it for just the one day, though. If you are worried it won't be enough, carry an extra bottle of water just for that day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Cormac, and welcome. I see you’ve already followed @David Tallan‘s thread, as did I immediately before following him on the trail. My thread is also on here somewhere, as are many others.
I also started off with a healing leg injury, didn’t even know if I would get to finish the first day ( I booked Grado as a goal) . It was a very long, very slow day, but I did it. And the next- and so on. Actually improved so much I finished two days ahead of my original schedule!
Enough pep talk.
1/ DONT carry a tent out of fear. Of course, if you love camping in the rain….
Instead, before you set out, get the number for a local taxi company. It’s a lot lighter!
And less weight = less stress on your knee = more chance of finishing. Also, there aren’t that many long stages, and most of those come later on.
2/ packing List: heaps of info on here, both David and myself recently commented on another member’s thread about gear for the Primitivo in September.
3/ water and food requirements too, but to reiterate - I normally carried 1,5 litres, took that and a 500ml Aquarius for the Hospitales. Worked well. Unless it’s going to be really hot, or you drink that much normally, 500ml as a backup should be sufficient. (And the Aquarius made a pleasant , refreshing change ). For the first day, I found nothing open for the first 20km, however that was probably due to the exceedingly slow pace. I always carry salted nuts and dried fruit, plus a banana or apple, so no major. Oh, and chocolate!!
For the Hospitales four of us shared a large baggutte, a 250/300gm tin of tuna, chippies and a massive tomato. Plus the usual fruit - a great lunch!
Guide- I used this:image.jpg
Which I got from Ivor. It’s small and light. But not as light as Gronze , or one of the other apps ( I like books). Frankly, I would have survived just by following the arrows.
But it was reassuring to have.
Anything specific you want to ask, please do. Oh, my packing list is on YouTube if you want.
Buen Camino!

Thanks for the information @Peterexpatkiwi . I would like to check out your YouTube video with the packing list.
I will forgo the tent and worse case I can always pick something up along the way. I like the taxi number idea!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Quick update on the packing list before you watch: I didn't take the Sandals or the fleece vest; did take the light weight shoes ( based on the weather forecast), worked really well. The line is 5 metres long, I've used it on both Caminos this year, sometimes the Albergue line was full ( or I was in a hotel,!) .
Clearly, what applies to Spring applies equally to Autumn - at least in my opinion. I used everything I took with me, except the rainwear on the Inglès (Primitivo I just carried my poncho, and did use it). Leggings - optional. Total weight 7.1kg

Oh, by the way, all Albergues I used had blankets, did use my own but didn't need to. For my next ( hopefully longer) Camino I think I'll buy one of those down blankets - warmer than mine, but no heavier

Great video and thanks for sharing the link. I have ordered a few items based on your list such as the seatosummit soap and the liner sleeping bag. I have a fleece one already but it is on the heavier and bulkier side.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
YVR-FRA-MAD on the 27/28 of August.
I bought a single trip Metro pass for €7 and change and took Linea 8 (Nuevos Ministerios) and got off at the last stop which is Nuevos Ministerios.

From there I followed the signs to Linea 10 which was a bit confusing. I got on the train that was heading to Hospital Infanta Sofia which is the end of the train line for Linea 10. My destination was Chamartín Train Station.

If you plan on taking the train from Madrid to Overdo then you will want to get off at Chamartín stop on Linea 10.

I stayed the night at Hotel One Chamartín which is above the train station. Basic hotel room and there is a luggage room next to the check in where you can leave the heavy stuff and go wall around before your train leaves.

My goal for Madrid was to buy a sim card. I arrived on a Sunday so hours can be reduced but be aware that some shops don't open until 11:00 on weekdays. As was the case for the shop I went to. My 20 minute walk was not in vane as I found a place to have the hair done which is something I didn't get to do before I left.

I recommend booking tickets on the RENFRE website (https://www.renfe.com/es/en) before arriving and either print the PDF with the QR code or make sure it is displaying on your phone with no data or WiFi. I paid €77 online.

I had no data or WiFi but I did have the PDF downloaded to my phone ahead of time. I like/tend to run late so when I saw the lineup at the ticket counter I was glad I found the PDF on my phone. If you need to go to the ticket counter and speak with someone you will need to get a number from the machines at the right as you walk in.

There are self serve ticket machines outside the ticket office as well as machines to print your ticket with the reference number. I just used my phone.

After getting a ticket, you will need to go through the luggage security scan like at an airport. I'm not sure what they look for because I had a pocket knife in my bag and no one stopped me but a person with a small laptop bag was getting some attention as I went through.

My platform was Plataforma 21, Gijón/Xixón ALVIA 01410 . I was looking at the departure board for Oveido but didn't see it so I asked. I'm assuming that the end of the ALVIA line is Gijón/Xixón. Departure was at 11:10 sharp.

Make sure you don't sleep through the stop for Oveido!! I had been trying to prepare for the time zone changes before I left Canada but I was still a bit tired and near the end of the train journey I woke up in a panic a couple of times. Arrival was at 15:40.

So far so good. I found a sim at an Orange shop in Oveido, a hotel room, plenty of food options and of course new pole tips at the Decathlon shop.

I checked out the Cathedral, the main park and Mafalda statue (don't know anything about this Mafalda doll but the park is beautiful). Lots of architecture and history and a bottle of sidra finished off the day.

Attachments

• 20230828_212826-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230828_212826-COLLAGE.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230828_212325-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230828_212325-COLLAGE.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230828_212608-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230828_212608-COLLAGE.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.