• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi I'm a college student interested in your experiences

aimeemartin

Hi all!

I am a student at U.C. Berkeley and I am writing my thesis this semester. I am writing my thesis on the Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela and I wonder if any of you would be willing to tell me about your experiences, including why you chose to take the pilgrimage, what your experiences were. And after having done some of my research I hope that after I graduate I will be able to go to experience it myself! :D

Thanks!
Aimee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aimee,

I will be making My Camino in April from St Jean Pied de Port France.

I'd be happy to share my experiences with you!

Considering the recent Oakland City council and UC Berkeley conflict with the Marines...would you still want my input?

Buen Camino

Arn
USMC Ret.

I think that you should walk it first, and then write afterward. But that's my opinion. However, if you PM your questions, I will have a bash at it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
oursonpolaire said:
I think that you should walk it first, and then write afterward.

A pre- and post-Camino perspective by the author on the paper would also be interesting. And I'm a former Jarhead as well, so this thread should be exciting... :mrgreen: :arrow:

Thank everyone for your responses! I think I managed to send all of you a private message (though the fact that they are in my outbox rather than in my sent box is making me think that you won't get them) I have to admit I haven't been on this site before and I don't really have that much experience with emailing besides my gmail and school account :D .

But I thank everyone for being willing to talk to me! I am really excited to hear from everyone and I want to say that I would love to hear from all different kinds of people!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure what your research resources are and I'm sure Nancy won't mind if I recommend that you read her book "Pilgrim Stories - On and Off the Road to Santiago". The book was born out of her doctoral dissertation in anthropolgy.
Another interesting book that recounts 'lessons learned' is "Walk in a Relaxed Manner' by Joyce Rupp (known as a spiritual midwife).
Conrad Rudolph's book "Pilgrimage to the end of the World" gives a vivid account of the affects of long-distance walking, slowing down of time, accepting one's homeless state and the refuges along the way which he describes as 'the soul of the camino'.
Good luck with your research!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Aimee,
Welcome to the Forum :) , very happy to help out with your thesis, I think the problem might be keeping it small, within limits. My experience of pilgrimage is greater than just the Camino, but I've walked from Le Puy in 1996 and home (UK) in 2005. Plus have experience as hospitalero.
Fire away with questions and if (when) you eventually walk the Way -
Buen Camino,
Brendan

Hi Aimee,
You have no doubt already done the research on this but on the slim chance that you haven't I like to suggest that you may also want to see if you can get information on past theses written about the camino. I know there have been several done in the last 5 years - some of them using forums such as this to gather information. But do I know where to find any of them ?- no sorry I don't - apart from Googling them of course.
Good luck with your research.
cecelia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.