• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi, I'm Petro from SA

petro

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2008 April/May) (2011 May/June) (2014 May/June), Camino Primitivo (May 2016)
I am starting my camino on 26 April from SJPP. Sorry, got distracted so here I go again. I have been thinking of doing this walk for almost two years avd now have finalised my plans. I have bought my ticket and shoes and some clothing. Can someone suggest the best place to look fo a backpack in Cape Town. I am not clued up on backpacks and really need some advise. Also I am getting very excited about my trip and I really cannot believe that I am finally going to do it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Petro...welcome to the Class of 2008.

Great to have more folks from SA on the Way. I'm sure Sil (she's in Durban and retains more knowledge about the Camino than anyone I know)will be adding a response. In the mean time, take a look at the Class of 2008 thread and the calendar at the bottom of this forum to see who else is departing SJPDP around when you are. I'll be leaving on April 19th.

Tot Seins,
and Buen Camino,
Arn

Thanks for the reply Arn. Now I am really getting excited. Sil has already responded and I know she will be a great source of information. It will be great to meet all the fellow forum members on the camino.

Greetings
Petro

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year 262 pilgrims from South Africa received a certificate in Santiago (including me!!), 40 more than 2006. I think this year the numbers will be much higher as the CSJ of SA has been spreading the word.
When I first walked the camino people were amazed that anyone from South Africa even knew about it. And they were even more amazed that we were white!
39 429 pilgrim certificates were given in 2001 and 114,026 in 2007 - exponential growth in numbers making us wonder where it will end!

Sil wrote:more amazed that we were white!

When I wrote home from Pretoria and told the folks back in Chicago that I was bringing home a SA bride, my Mom told me that my Aunt Marge asked if Ida was "very" dark. Mom got a chuckle because she'd already seen pictures of ida.

So, my Mom, looking very perplexed told the assembled Aunts and Uncles that yes, Ida was becoming whiter by the day due to the several times a week she soaked in Melk. Every one caught on...except Aunt Marge, who looked so relieved when she finally met Ida a few weeks later.

Buen Michael Jackson Camino,
Arn

petro said:
I am not clued up on backpacks and really need some advise.

1. Get a lightweight internal frame pack, say, 50 liters max. You can go bigger (as I did), but you'll probably regret it. Internal frame is pretty much the standard these days, and you'll find a huge variety of them, vs. a limited amount of external frame packs. I think I saw only one or two folks on the Camino with external frame packs, and they scared me.

2. Buy some hiking-gear related magazines and books, and do some reading about packs. Outside magazine does an annual gear issue, as does Backpacker magazine. The book The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlins might be helpful as well. Visit your local library and spend some time in the outdoor section (just make sure the book you are reading isn't outdated).

3. Go to a store with knowledgeable staff who can help fit a pack to your body type - they aren't simply "plug and play." Packs come in different sizes, and can be adjusted based on your torso measurements. There are even model especially made for women. As a rule of thumb, your hips/waist will bear most of the load, and not your shoulders.

4. Try on a couple of packs - with weight inside (ideally, the store should have some weight bags to simulate a full load) and walk around the store for awhile. Take it on and off, mess with the pockets, and imagine yourself having to live out of it for a month. That way you can see if it's a bad fit right off the bat.

5. Don't focus on price. You get what you pay for, and the Camino is pretty special. There's no need to break the bank, but buy a quality pack. Don't blow your pilgrimage to save a couple dozen Rand.

6. See if the store has a 30-day return or exchange policy (this will help with the next point).

7. Once you get the pack, go for some short hikes with it, just around where you live, taking care not to damage it. Load it and unload it. Take it on and off. If you hate it at home, you'll loathe it on the Camino. If it sucks, take it back and exchange it for another one. Repeat until happy.

8. Once you've found a solid pack, start training with it, packing it with the stuff you plan to take on the Camino. Master your pack, or it will master you.

Of course, you could just wing it, but I wouldn't recommend that strategy. Buen Camino! :arrow:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi everybody,

Thank you for your advice. My daughter worked in the USA for six months some years ago and the people she worked with were also amazed to see that she was white.

I am going to Cape Town this weekend to try out backpacks, Vinotinto, and I will certainly keep all your tips in mind. Will let you know what happened.

Thanks again,
Petro

Hi Petro,

I am happy to meet another South African on the Forum. I will be following in your footsteps.

I share your dismay at finding gear in Cape Town. I do not have boots or a pack yet. This is a great town, with fantastic shopping, but the outdoor stores around here somehow think us ladies
1. Do not hike,
2. Those that do hike, need industrial safety boots to tackle the boulders
3. All wear size 3
Similarly, the concept of ladies back packs has not yet arrived here. :evil:

Good luck with your preparations... and let me know where you find your back pack.

Driekie

Hi Driekie,
I am with you with regards to outdoor shopping in Cape Town. I bought my shoes (New Balance) at Access Park and have been trying them out for a week now, and they feel great. Now for the backpack and the rest of the gear.
Good luck with your shopping and let me know of any great finds.

Petro

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.