• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi! I'm Sue and I'll be leaving for the Camino August 14th,

sueque12

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago 2013
Planning the Portuguese Camino, September 2015
My plane lands at CDG airport before 10 am. I'll be arriving in SJPP around 8 pm. Will I be able to find a bed at that hour and/or can I make reservation? I've been following this forum for quite a while now and have benefited from your questions and comments! Really looking forward to starting this adventure and have lots of time...up to three months! :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Re: Hi! I'm Sue and I'll be leaving for the Camino August 14th,

sueque12@bell.net said:
My plane lands at CDG airport before 10 am. I'll be arriving in SJPP around 8 pm. Will I be able to find a bed at that hour and/or can I make reservation? I've been following this forum for quite a while now and have benefited from your questions and comments! Really looking forward to starting this adventure and have lots of time...up to three months! :D

Hello Sueque12,

Welcome to the Forum!

August can be a busy time on the camino. It would be best ( and more relaxing ) to have a firm reservation for your first night in SJPdP.

Private pilgrim albergues do accept reservations. See this French list from the SJPdP tourist bureau for ALL pilgrim accommodation. >> http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasq ... aw_XNi6jso

The tourist bureau site also lists regular tourist hotels and b&bs (chambres d'hotes); hit the tabs below the purple line marked Dormir to see them.

In Saint-Jean the Pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. They keep up to the minute lists of all available space throughout the SJPdP area. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle, but they do NOT take reservations.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

A reservation for the first night will reduce some of the pre trip jitters, but after that, I'd just let go, and enjoy the journey.

You are in for the trip of a lifetime.
Enjoy!
Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks Margaret and David! I've been able to secure a reservation in Bayonne for the night of the 14th. There wasn't much room at the inns in SJPP !! I didn't realize that August is vacation time for the French!! Have been trying to reach l'Orisson by phone and by e-mail but no luck so far...On another matter,for those of you who have taken the train from CDG airport, my flight arrives at 9:45 am. How likely am I to make the 10:10 train to Bayonne? Don't know if I should reserve a ticket or can I buy one the day of?

sueque12@bell.net said:
...On another matter,for those of you who have taken the train from CDG airport, my flight arrives at 9:45 am. How likely am I to make the 10:10 train to Bayonne? Don't know if I should reserve a ticket or can I buy one the day of?

sueque12,

There is NO way that you could make that 10:10 train! You can buy a TGV ticket at CDG. See this handy guide to CDG for where to find the rr station within the vast complex. >> http://www.easycdg.com. Click "TGV" under "Ground Transport" to learn more.

MM

Hi Sue,

I have booked into L'esprit du Chemin hostel in SJPDP for 18 September. It looks great..http://www.espritduchemin.org/nl After that I will take each day as it comes. Maybe this is helpful to you. I'm sure you are excited about your journey too! If your there for 3 months I may meet you somewhere along the way.
Buen Camino
Aidan :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sue

I arrive 15 aug , we may well cross paths ..... This forum has been great, providing fantastic tips and information.

Bien Camino

Debbie

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone! I followed up on your tip Aidan...unfortunately l'esprit du chemin has no more reserved beds available for the 15th. I arrive in SJPP around 4:30 so will try to see if they still have a bed available. If not, I'm sure there will be options open to me. I have been looking forward to this adventure for many years and it hardly seems real that it's finally taking shape!! I'm slowly learning to live in the moment :) Hope to meet you at some point Aidan and Debbie!
Buen Camino!

Sue, there is a place I've seen mentioned a bit also http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/
Have you tried all the places on the list Margaret posted? I feel its nice to have somewhere planned to stay on the first night! I'm sure it will all work out for you perfectly!! :)
Hope to meet you on the Way!
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi AML! I did try all the listings in Margaret's post. Nothing available in SJPP. I have just sent off a request to the hostel you added. Hoping for good news! Sue

walking poles

Does anyone know if I can purchase some walking poles at or near CDG airport? I also saw that there's a sports shop in SJPP. Would they be available there? Thanks!!

sueque12@bell.net said:
Does anyone know if I can purchase some walking poles at or near CDG airport? I also saw that there's a sports shop in SJPP. Would they be available there? Thanks!!

Sue,

There is NO WAY that you will easily find walking poles at or near CDG airport!! However they ARE available in Saint Jean Pied de Port in the two shops Boutique du Pelerin at 32 rue de la Citadelle and Direction Compostelle nearby on the place Floquet. Both are owned by the same helpful, experienced pilgrim. Why not email for prices? Here is their web http://directioncompostelle.com/directi ... ontact.php

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi soon to be fellow pilgrims.... I am struggling with the need to find real noise reduction ear plugs. Are they really necessary ??
I arrive 16/8/2013. Might need a place to lay a weary head on arrival to SJPDP @ 7:30pm..... Just going to pray to the gods there will be a spare bed. Will check out info on the forum page ...... Debbie

Hi Debbie,
If you have trouble sleeping with someone around snoring the ear plugs may be useful. I am going to bring a pair with me anyway, just to have them in case I need them. I'm sure you are feeling excited now about your journey...Buen Camino, Aidan

Re: Walking poles

Once again, this forum has come through for me!! I can't thank you guys enough :D Margaret, I've sent a message to the sports store in St. Jean Pied du Port as you suggested and thanks for providing the web link!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: You know you're a pilgrim when...

you've received your pilgrims credential and the forum badge on the same day!!

Wherever there's a human being there's an opportunity for a kindness. -Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back