• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi, I'm the new girl in town.

fatblackwoman

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2nd2 to Aug 29th 2013
:)

Hi, I'm Carmen and I am walking the last 100kms of the pilgrimage; August 2013. I am nervous, confused and excited as I have never done any independent traveling before. :? Package holidays are my normal route.

I have varied reasons for wanting to do the pilgrimage; religious, personal, social and physical.

My first hurdle is trying to find the best route from England to Sarria and back to England. I know that I can fly into La Coruna, but cannot find out how to travel from there to the starting point in Sarria - where ever that may be - is there a specific starting point in Sarria? My daughter asked me If I just start to walk when I leave the airport - her thinking was not far off from mine. :lol: :roll:

I would also like to be able to book somewhere to stay ahead of my arrival in each village/town, is this possible?

Are there lockers in the albergues to store rucksacks during the night?
Do I need to carry a sleeping bag?
Is it safe to sleep out in a tent on occasions?

Do I need a map, or are the scallops sufficient to guide my way? I get lost using my sat nav in London. :D :lol:

I have so many questions, but I think this will do for now. :D

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully meeting some of you along 'The Way.'

Carmen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Carmen, I am Michele from ny. I walked the last 117 kms on the Portuguese way. It was awesome. No -albergues do not have lockers. Sleepingout will entail you carrying more weight... I planned on sleeping in an albergue one night just to get the experience but we did thre, it was a good experience. However the portuguese way is less travelled it seems . The experience of doing this walk will stay with me forever. And yes, the ideamof doing it again on another route is already in my head. There is a wealth of information in the forums. Read! When do you plan ongoing?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hi Carmen

As you probably know, the other option from the UK is to fly to Santiago from Stansted. I'm currently considering the same trip, and the Santiago flights are very early in the morning on some days. The advantage of that is that you then have all day to get to Sarria (bus, changing in Lugo) and get settled in an albergue/hostal.

Your Camino can start from any of the albergues where you will pick up the yellow arrows. I can't remember the churches in Sarria but there will be one on or very near the route if you want to start from there.

No need for a map - just follow the shells/arrows and the steady stream of pilgrims. Take a sleeping bag, but it will be warm in August so it doesn't have to be state of the art. I've never booked accommodation in advance, but have never walked 'high season' so others will advise better on that.

Buen Camino!

p.s. I think there's also a flight from Gatwick to Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Carmen

Im walking the camino right now (July). I have not prebooked any accomodation and have not had any problems so far. So my advice would be not to do any bookings to begin with since it gives you the freedom to change your plans. If you experince problems u can start to book from day to day.

People are glad to help down here so u will always find a place to sleep.

Hi Carmen, I did this walk at the end of May - start of June. We flew to Santiago and had a long bus journey to Sarria. We per booked our beds for that first night because our flight and bus journey left us getting to Sarria after 9pm. We got our first stamp from the lodgings where we slept. We walked it in 5 days which left us a few days to enjoy the lovely city of Santiago.
As you are walking in August - a liner or very light sleeping bag is all you will need.
At that time there was no problem with places to stay.
Enjoy your walking - Buen Camino. Helena

Hi, I plan to arrive in Sarria on August 22nd and walk to Santiago, arriving on the 28th August the latest.

I am traveling the French route.

So do I take it that I should forget about landing in La Coruna and go instead to Santiago airport?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
fatblackwoman said:
So do I take it that I should forget about landing in La Coruna and go instead to Santiago airport?
That's where I would go. The flights to La Coruna seem to be very expensive in summer. Ryanair from Stansted or Easyjet from Gatwick to Santiago are likely to be cheaper. I don't think they run every day so if you can be flexible by a day or so you may get a better deal. Buen Camino!

Thanks. sorry to be a pain, but if I go to Santiago, would I not spoil the effect of the pilgrimage? I am concerned that I may see too much of the city before I actually complete my walking journey. :cry:

I have also just read, that you cannot get your pilgrim's passport signed in Sarria, is this true?

I know what you mean. You wouldn't have to spend any time in Santiago though, and could just go straight to the bus station and out of the city without going to the cathedral etc.

I've never heard of any problems with pilgrim passports in Sarria. You can get one issued there (see link: el-camino-frances/topic10358.html), or to get one sent to you before leaving the UK follow the 'Free Credencial' link at the bottom of the page. Then you can just get it stamped at a hostel/bar etc in Sarria before you start.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I just finished this route, with a continuation on to Finisterre.
I travelled via Easy Jet from London (Gatwick) to Santiago
and caught the bus to Sarria (yes, with a transfer in Lugo)
it was very easy to do.
I worried that I would be 'spoiled' by arriving in Santiago before I finished my Camino,
but you can (as another Poster said) go directly to the bus station from the Airport (quick bus ride).

As for the Camino itself, the route is incredibly well marked
(I travelled alone with a very simple guidebook, and was worried about not being able to 'find my way'), having said that I did miss a couple of arrows and have to backtrack, as many others have done, but quite frankly, at is all part of the experience as well.
Remember to be mindful of where you are and the arrows will be there when you need them.
I sometimes found that if I was unsure I would just take a moment and either someone would appear or I would spot an arrow.

I already had my Pilgrim Passport (started 2 weeks earlier in a failed attempt to cross the Pyrenees).
Remember you need two stamps a day from Sarria to receive your Compostella.
I got my first one from the hotel I stayed at in Sarria.

Buen Camino.

cheryl

Hi all, Oh my,oh my oh my OMG! I have listened to your advice and booked my plane ticket into Santiago. flying to La Coruna was so expensive! I cannot believe that I have done it, this journey is a far cry form my normal all inclusive hols.

My next question is, is it possible to purchase bus tickets in advance? I do not seem to be able to do this on line. I really want to travel by train to Sarria, but that is another mindfield, tying to use Renfe to do so. Is there a reason why so many opt for the bus. i am soooooo excited.

Carmen drysdale

Hi Carmen. Glad you got your flight sorted out. Always listen to a Scotsman when it comes to saving money. :D

I hadn't thought about buying bus tickets in advance. I assume you can just get them at the bus station or on the bus.

Buen Camino!

p.s. I don't think there is a train from Santiago to Sarria without doing a very odd route. The bus seems to be the way to go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buy your bus ticket at the station for the first leg to Lugo
for the next leg you purchase your ticket from the driver

Buen Camino

cheryl

You don't have to go into Santiago from airport, Santiago to lugo always stop at airport, just look for lugo, 6 or 7 a day Buen camino

Hi, you guys on this site are truly awesome,thank you for answering my questions. I am now on the next phase of my preparation - places to stay. I am just going to check them out online -with your support I am beginning to feel much more confident about researching this trip, using the forums, reading responses to similar questions -knowing that there is a wealth of knowledge out there that I can draw on.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks a bunch to you all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
mad galway man said:
You don't have to go into Santiago from airport, Santiago to lugo always stop at airport, just look for lugo, 6 or 7 a day Buen camino
Thanks Mad Galway Man. I saw on the airport's website that there were buses to Lugo, but when I linked to the bus website they seemed to show you buses to Santiago. Good to know that you can go there direct.

Carmen - John Brierley's guidebook would be a good starting point to get an idea of accommodation options along the route. Although maps are not really necessary for navigation, his maps show where albergues/hostels/cafes etc are so it can help to plan each day. Maybe reserve somewhere for the first night so you have somewhere to go to when you arrive, but don't over-plan the whole trip as you may restrict yourself if you find yourself in a group of friends with alternative ideas, for example.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.