• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi, my name is Driekie

Driekie

Hi all ,

I've been "planning" to do the Camino for +- 2 years, and have finally come to a decision to do it in May 2008. My training is on schedule - mostly walking in circles in a security complex! My neighbours already think I am crazy, and I have not even started walking with the pack. I have not yet purchased tickets, any equipment, guidebooks, etc. A few weeks of intense shopping lies ahead! Expect some questions.

Can anybody help with the contact details of the CSJ of SA? (Sil?)

Driekie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Driekie,
How wonderful that you are going to do the camino - and in spring with spectacular wildflowers, everything green, green, green and the big white and black Europen storks back on their nests with fat babies in them. Wonderluk!!
I have sent you some RSA contacts off-line. If you would like me to send you a couple of documents we give to wanna-be pilgrims at our workshops, please mail me offline.
Drukkies!

Hi Driekie,
This is Clarisa. I start walking hopefully on or near the 8th of May. Maybe we'll meet up. I have just read Marco's diary of his camino walk barefoot (several years ago) and enjoyed it very much...delightful...I was trying to find it again on this site to tell you where it was but have lost it. Anyway if you come across it, do read it when you have a little time.
Nos vemos en Camino!
Clarisa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Driekie and Welcome!

It's great to hear you'll finally begin your walk along the Milky Way.

Though not from SA myself, I married a fantastic Boer Meisie nearly 30 years ago (She recently passed away) My children are very connected to SA and visit often.

Please take a look at the Class of 2008 thread. You'll find much info on who your fellow pilgrims will be and make contact as you did with Clarisa. We're with you all the way.

Sil in Durban has probably forgotten more about the Camino that I'd ever hope to know and she's right there!

Also, take a look at the many interesting threads that cover everything from equipment to attitude.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Driekie said:
My neighbours already think I am crazy, and I have not even started walking with the pack.
Driekie

I have just walked a couple of times around the neighbourhood with my pack on. I thought I was doing it secretly in the early mornings or evenings. But I banged into a neighbour in the supermarket recently who had seen me and loudly proclaimed it!
Have fun! I am starting in Le Puy about April 15th, so we will probably be on the road at the same time, if not in the same place.
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been walking around with a regular backpack on, with my Pacer Poles, Keen's boots, Australian leather hat (the only one which will stay on actually) and labrador retriever, Othello and am already feeling a little conspicuous to say the least. I think the hat and poles do it at the moment!!!!...but as soon as I sort out my backpack for the Camino which should be in a couple of weeks.....I will totally stand out! :oops: I think I will attach my scallop shell on it. Maybe I can hide behind it...ha ha :wink: i

Buen Camino!
Clarisa en Camino

Hi Driekie,
Congratulations on the decision to start in May. From what everyone says, Spring sounds like a nice time to walk the Camino. I'm starting in late March and I'm hoping for good weather, but preparing for all that nature can dish out.
I've been walking the neighborhood for a while now but not with my backpack on. Boy, that would really get the neighbors talking!! Maybe I'll try it in the dark, although I think someone mentioned being spotted anyway!! I have been wearing my backpack around the house while I clean etc. When my kids first saw me, I think they though I'd lost my mind... :mrgreen: now, they think nothing of it (or so it seems).
Well, good luck with the preparations.
Buen Camino,
Arlene

Well, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who looks funny in trying to prepare my fifty something body for those 750 klms.

It is hard to get any outdoor training here because of the snow and cold or now the ice, so for a few days each week I have been spending about 40 minutes going down and up and down and up the six flights of stairs at a friend's condo building. At first just me...but now I have added my lovely almost full pack and wear my boots. My goal is to be able to go at those stairs for a full 6o minutes!

As Dr Seuss would say...."Oh, the things you can think up if you really try!"

Marilyn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi All,

It is really heart warming to know that all of you responded to my introduction. I already feel part of a community of pilgrims, and I have not even started yet.

I can just picture all of you (us!), training at dusk & dawn, meandering your respective neighbourhoods in full gear.

Driekie

Driekie,

As far as folks worrying about hiking in their gear in the neighborhood. It seems they may be "borrowing a wrench".

We should be proud and confident that what we are about, for whatever reason, is a good and worthwhile thing to do. Let's see...it's healthy, it's social, it's enriching, it's...well, it's everything that is good in life.

Where I do find a conundrum is, that as folks begin to show interest...they want to talk! And, while I'd be happy to stop over for a ginger beer, or lion lager...at that moment I'm focused. How do I feel, how does the pack sit. Is that a hot spot, or is a red ant in my boot! So, drawing attention to one's self can lead to early walks or late night gambols in hopes of being alone and focused.

Buen "strutting my stuff" Camino,
Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Clarissa,

At this stage, I am hoping to start on 15 May, alternatively 24 April. (My brother might be graduating soon and I would love to attend the graduation ceremony on 10 May. His deadline is end of March, but he might be able to confirm a bit sooner - plane tickets are getting more expensive by the day!)

I would love to meet some of the forum members on the Way... are any of you starting mid May?

Driekie

Hi Driekie,
I did an online booking for a pilgrim from the south coast last weekend. She will fly JHB-Madrid -Pamplona. Get a bus to Roncesvalles - walk to Santiago and then fly Santiago-Madrid-JHB.
It is an open jaw ticket and cost her R7 800 inclusive.

If you decide to book online, click on 'Multiple Routes' on the Iberia website.
Onthe next page, under Flight 1 enter Johannesburg to Pamplona and the date
Under Flight 2 enter Santiago de Compostela to Johannesburg
You will have to type in a security code before the page with the flight options comes up
Choose your flights and check the fare.
Good luck!

Hi Sil

Great idea to add on the local connections to Pamplona / from Santiago. One can actually save a few Rands (and maybe hours) in this way.

Thanks
D

You will save about R700 on Travel Agent charges. All the agro of changing from plane, to metro, to bus or train, a 5 hour journey from Madrid to Pamplona and another 10 hour journey from Santiago back to Madrid and, perhaps, the need for an extra overnight stay either end - Phsew! its not worth it!

Hi Driekie,
I will be starting from St Jean on the 8th of May but taking time to get to Roncevalles. I will go slowly so you may even catch up!
Buen Camino,
Clarisa

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back