• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi my names Simon, how do I get my bike back home, to the UK?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Simon, I am UK too. I go by ferry to Santander ... they take bikes ... cabins are expensive but the salons with the overnight 'sleeper' seats (purgatory!) are carpeted so I just sleep on the floor, is only one night.
Spanish trains allow bikes so not too difficult to get it there and back .... but ...

Doing Camino on a bike is accidentally super-fast so you never really get to smell the flowers .. also, at walking pace pilgrims form bonds but on a bike you miss all that as any you meet one evening you will never see again.

So I would say walk .. from Santander or Bilbao (get a ferry that arrives in the morning) you can get a coach to Pamplona or anywhere really - they are comfortable and cheap.

On a budget? Walk for certain! Carry food with you .. sausage, cheese, bread, tomato paste - great nutritious food super cheap whenever you want it at a fraction of the cost of cafes and you can add items daily; tomatoes, yoghurt, etc (carry a spoon and a corkscrew with you!)
I also carry a small amount of olive oil, sea salt, and ground black pepper (I grind my pepper fresh at home before I go as ready ground is horrid) .. and a 500gms packet of pasta. In any refugio with a kitchen I can make a simple nutritious meal.
I also have a pilgrim meal at set price when I want good company or a change.

Mind you, I am not a 'foodie', a food fetishist, I only eat to not be hungry, so am happy to have the same meal day after day.

More budget - if you are a coffee drinker give it up before you go, then you won't need to keep stopping at cafes to get your hit - saves huge amounts over a few weeks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or should I just walk the Camino,( I am on budget)
Hi,
I walked from SJPP to Burgos and then rented a bike from the Burgos Bike Shop and peddled into Santiago. Kind of the best of both. And when i got to Santiago I brought the bike to the post office and they sent the bike back to the store - no charge. Walking is a more personal experience for sure. Thanks

We've used Mail Boxes Etc. (Rúa de Santiago de Guayaquil, 5, 15702 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain) for our last two Caminos. We did not ship bikes but they have plenty experience shipping bikes as we've seen them boxing them up both times. Good luck and have a great Camino.
-Steve

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back