• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hola! I just came back from my 5th Camino!

dadaperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino Francés
Hello everyone! My name is Davide and I want to say hello to everyone!
I just came back from my 5th Camino, it was the Camino Francés, then years after my first walk on it.
I feel like keeping my connection to the Camino alive, so I decided to register on this forum to help other fellow pilgrims and read their stories.
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It would be interesting, and perhaps helpful to hear of your experiences, Dada, especially as you walked CF years ago.

What were your overall impressions? Favorite stage/albergue and why?
What would you have done differently (packing-wise or planning-wise)
What did you find difficult or challenging?
Did you walk solo?
Where will you walk next? your sixth Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It would be interesting, and perhaps helpful to hear of your experiences, Davide, especially as you walked CF years ago.

What were your overall impressions? Favorite stage/albergue and why?
What would you have done differently (packing-wise or planning-wise)
What did you find difficult or challenging?
Did you walk solo?
Where will you walk next? your sixth Camino!
Hi sunflowers!! Thanks for your message!!
These are some interesting questions, I will try to answer them, but I will probably miss a lot of details, so feel free to ask follow-up questions too.
First of all let me say that I walked the following Caminos: Frances in 2013, Norte in 2019, Portugues (from Lisbon) in 2020 and Via de la Plata in 2021 :)

My overall impression is that the Camino Frances is still beautiful, I am still deeply in love with it for a few reasons. It is monumental, it has the folklore of the Camino, the history, the famous characters like Marcelino Lobato in Logron, Tomas in Manjarin or Jesus Jato in Villafrance del Bierzo.
These people are still there and for me they are living legends on the Camino. It was amazing to see them again, 10 years after the first Camino.

All the churches, monasteries, fountains and other buildings dedicated to Santiago make you feel like this Camino has some deep and strong historical roots.

I don't mind the larger number of pilgrims. After the Via de la Plata I was really looking forward to meeting more people. Of course there are more pilgrims compared to 10 years ago. This increase was ok and I had no issues with it, except in the last few stages after Sarria.
In those last 100Kms I deliberately avoided the main centres and slept in smaller villages (except O Pedrouzo).

Favorite stages (in geographical order):
• Pamplona to Puente la Reina - because of the sense of awe I felt on my climb to the Alto del Perdon, the visit to Eunate and the bridge of Puente la Reina. You get 3 iconic places of the Camino in one day! Such a great way to start your Camino!
• Hontanas to Puente Fitero - some say that the Mesetas are not a nice part of the Camino, but this day will make you change your mind. The Mesetas are in front of you with all their majestic beauty. It's especially true in the small
• Foncebadon to Molinaseca - another stage rich of history, there's the Iron Cross, Manjarin with its small shelter run by Tomas, the entrance to Bierzo. And you're surrounded by beautiful mountains!

Favorite albergue: it was again the Hospital de San Nicolas in Puente Fitero. A small albergue, or hospital, which is run by the Italian Brotherhood of the Friends of Saint James. It's situated in small church where pilgrims could get shelter and help in the middle ages. It's one of those places where the true spirit of the Camino is still alive.

What would I have done differently? Maybe I would have planned the Camino a bit earlier, like beginning of May. I am not a big fan of walking in the heat. During the second week of June we had a few very warm days that made the walk almost impossible. But it's a very subjective thing :)

What did I find challenging? This is also another personal thing, however for me the challenge this time was learning to "take it more easy". I did not want to push myself. I am a very competitive person and this side of me has gotten in the way sometimes in previous Caminos.
I have to say I did really well during this last Camino! So I can say I am proud of myself and I learned an important personal lesson. In this regard the Camino has been, again, a school of life.

Did you walk solo? First week was with my girlfriend. Then I continued solo, but I soon made my "camino family", which is one of the things I love about walking the Camino.
I did something like this also in previous Caminos, for instance in del Norte I walked the second half of the Camino with my Brother. The same for the Portuguese, where I walked with a dear friend.

Next Camino? Well, I am really thinking about coming back again soon, maybe in this same year! I am thinking about doing a short Camino, like the Camino Ingles. I love Galicia and I think this Camino would be a nice route to discover.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.