• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hikers at the end of March

Toxawaypat

Hi there -- My husband and I are hiking the Camino beginning at the end of March. We plan to make this a 33-day trip and are trying very hard to adhere to the 20-lb. backpack rule in light of the time of year we will be traveling. Looking forward to helpful advice from you guys. I read some posts which were "uncomfortable" about the use of technology. I agree with the person who said we need to respect the rights of others to make it their journey. While I cannot wait to "detach," we have six children and a sister with brain cancer who will be given a number for a cell phone where they can leave an emergency message. They will be told we will check it every other night for emergency messages. Also, since we are crossing the mountains at a time when people have died, I don't feel at all guilty about having this phone for an emergency call if necessary. Otherwise, it will remain silent. In addition, I listen to books on my IPod when my husband snores at night it helps me sleep. It will accompany me on this journey as I understand snoring in the refugious can be a problem. A crutch perhaps, but whatever works to help people get the rest they need--right.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Toxawaypat
Phones, Ipods, Cameras, lot's take them, for different reasons, it's your choice.
One thought though, if you take to many "gadgets" you have to charge them all, which might be an inconvenience in Albergues, were others are wanting to charge theirs.
I took a Mobile phone with a good built in Camera & Music player (Nokia N85). Loaded books, maps, music and took hundreds of pics. I'ts amazing what you can fit on an 8gig sd card. Only needed to charge one item.
Buen Camino
Col

I'll be walking the Camino Frances in September but leaving behind my wife, two children and an aged mother-in-law in poor health.

I'm taking my iPhone so that I can stay in touch. My family will want to be reassured that I'm safe. I'll want to take pictures that I can enjoy looking at in later years. I'll even email some photos to my family so that they can see what I'm doing and share my enjoyment.

Its GPS and compass functions might even be useful if I get lost. I may also have an English-Spanish dictionary installed on it.

I have no difficulty with this and don't feel the need to justify it to anyone. Similarly I can appreciate the desire of others to travel unencumberd by the trappings of modern technology; I respect their position and wouldn't question it.

People travel the Camino de Santiago for very diverse reasons and there's room for us all to do it our own way.

Best wishes with your trip.
Keith

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just bought one of these solar chargers:

http://www.solio.com/charger/solio-charger-mono.html

I'll be using it in April on the VDLP, so I can't speak to its usefulness yet, but would rather use it than depend on AC charging in the albergues. It might be useful for those with a few gadgets. I got mine on Amazon for about $39.
lynne

Attachments

• soliomono.gif
    soliomono.gif
    43.1 KB · Views: 171
I took a mobile phone with me when walking the Camino de Levante in 2009. This meant I could keep in touch with my family by phone, which I think is fair enough - they'd let me go off on my own for seven weeks.

If you are walking one of the quiet routes (on the Levante in September, I was the only pilgrim for the first three weeks) I would advise taking a phone. You can get help if something happens and you are on a remote path. It also makes it easier in finding whoever has the key to the albergue, etc, when you need accommodation.

Andy

I feel so much better hearing this. We are preparing daily for this venture and I totally want to be "out of touch" with the US. However, there are things to consider and I don't feel like I need to justify my "need" to take an emergency phone and my beloved "sleeping" IPod. The IPod helps me get much needed sleep. Pat

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I purchased a Spanish plug adapter for my iPod along the way for 1 Euro. I was able to charge it almost everywhere I stayed with the adapter. Did not use my solar charger at all the whole trip. Most places have outlets that you can use.

Michael

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back