• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From the start of one pilgrimage to the end of another

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Several years ago, I read a history of Lisbon called ‘Queen of the Sea’ by expatriate journalist Barry Hatton. The book is essentially a hagiography of the Portuguese capital, extolling its ‘special appeal’ and ‘exotic flavour’ at every turn.

But after absorbing 342 pages of this rose-coloured-glasses description of the city I have lived in for nearly seven years now, what struck me most was little more than a throwaway line, three-and-a-half tiny words that have stayed with me more than any other part of the book.

In discussing Lisbon’s relative lack of historical monuments due to the devastating 1755 earthquake (and declaring the city ‘charming’ and ‘unpretentious’ as a result), Hatton inadvertently revealed, with perfect brevity and clarity, the one thing wrong with Lisbon.

He wrote simply: ‘Rome, it isn’t.’

I arrived in Rome for the first time as a 21-year-old backpacker on a Monday afternoon: September 10th, 2001.

On Tuesday, the world changed, and my world was starting to change too. On Wednesday, I declared Rome my favourite city in Europe from the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica. On Friday, I met @Wendy Werneth, who a few months earlier had written, ‘That’s it, I’m moving to Rome,’ in her diary, and then went and did it. On Sunday, I didn’t show up at the airport for my flight to Athens and, just like that, I had moved to Rome too.

That was quite a week.

So began a love affair for both of us with this unique, extraordinary place — and eventually with each other.

We lived in Rome for parts of four years and it felt like a dream: tour guiding in the Roman Forum every day, eating out every night, and talking about Rome day after day with friends who were as passionate about the city as we were — or as addicted to it, as one of them put it.

Rome was where we realised that we weren’t going home; that Rome itself had become home.

That feeling clung to us even after we decided to move on in 2004, when I cried on the streets of Trastevere on our last night in the city. After leaving Rome, we spent six more years living out of backpacks before eventually finding more settled lives in Geneva and then Lisbon. But while we ended up spending far more time living in those two cities than we ever did in Rome, we somehow belonged less.

Ultimately, it’s that sense of belonging, alongside the never-ending feeling of wonderment, that always draws us back to Rome. Wendy and I met in Rome, we fell in love in Rome, we got married in Rome. Or, put another way: all the rainbows and unicorns stuff that you wish for when you throw coins into the Trevi Fountain actually came true for us.

And now that we have both lived outside our home countries for longer than we lived inside them, where else do we belong if not Rome?

In the 19 years since we last lived in the Eternal City, we haven’t been able to stay away for long; I have returned to visit every calendar year but one and Wendy every year but two.

Each time we make these annual pilgrimages to Rome, we ask ourselves: ‘Can we figure out a way to move back here that actually makes sense?’ For various reasons, the answer has always been no.

But now the answer is yes.

Wendy is already in Rome, having led a tour of Italy that finished yesterday, and today I leave Lisbon to join her. But this time we’re not staying for just a few days — because this is it. We have been working towards this move as a serious goal for the last two years but it’s been our on-again, off-again dream for nearly two decades.

And now that it has become reality, I can’t help but wonder if the famous expression I used to recite at the start of my night tour all those years ago is actually true: Roma, non basta una vita — Rome, a lifetime is not enough.

Let’s find out.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So happy for the both of you Nick, what a wonderful & inspiring story.
Under my avatar are the words 'Sempre Avanti'...never have they been so appropriate...Forever Forward.
Congratulations on making the Dream happen.
I truly hope you've both found your place in the world...again!
Best wishes 🤗
👣🌏

Several years ago, I read a history of Lisbon called ‘Queen of the Sea’ by expatriate journalist Barry Hatton. The book is essentially a hagiography of the Portuguese capital, extolling its ‘special appeal’ and ‘exotic flavour’ at every turn.

But after absorbing 342 pages of this rose-coloured-glasses description of the city I have lived in for nearly seven years now, what struck me most was little more than a throwaway line, three-and-a-half tiny words that have stayed with me more than any other part of the book.

In discussing Lisbon’s relative lack of historical monuments due to the devastating 1755 earthquake (and declaring the city ‘charming’ and ‘unpretentious’ as a result), Hatton inadvertently revealed, with perfect brevity and clarity, the one thing wrong with Lisbon.

I arrived in Rome for the first time as a 21-year-old backpacker on a Monday afternoon: September 10th, 2001.

On Tuesday, the world changed, and my world was starting to change too. On Wednesday, I declared Rome my favourite city in Europe from the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica. On Friday, I met @Wendy Werneth, who a few months earlier had written, ‘That’s it, I’m moving to Rome,’ in her diary, and then went and did it. On Sunday, I didn’t show up at the airport for my flight to Athens and, just like that, I had moved to Rome too.

That was quite a week.

So began a love affair for both of us with this unique, extraordinary place — and eventually with each other.

We lived in Rome for parts of four years and it felt like a dream: tour guiding in the Roman Forum every day, eating out every night, and talking about Rome day after day with friends who were as passionate about the city as we were — or as addicted to it, as one of them put it.

Rome was where we realised that we weren’t going home; that Rome itself had become home.

That feeling clung to us even after we decided to move on in 2004, when I cried on the streets of Trastevere on our last night in the city. After leaving Rome, we spent six more years living out of backpacks before eventually finding more settled lives in Geneva and then Lisbon. But while we ended up spending far more time living in those two cities than we ever did in Rome, we somehow belonged less.

Ultimately, it’s that sense of belonging, alongside the never-ending feeling of wonderment, that always draws us back to Rome. Wendy and I met in Rome, we fell in love in Rome, we got married in Rome. Or, put another way: all the rainbows and unicorns stuff that you wish for when you throw coins into the Trevi Fountain actually came true for us.

And now that we have both lived outside our home countries for longer than we lived inside them, where else do we belong if not Rome?

In the 19 years since we last lived in the Eternal City, we haven’t been able to stay away for long; I have returned to visit every calendar year but one and Wendy every year but two.

Each time we make these annual pilgrimages to Rome, we ask ourselves: ‘Can we figure out a way to move back here that actually makes sense?’ For various reasons, the answer has always been no.

Wendy is already in Rome, having led a tour of Italy that finished yesterday, and today I leave Lisbon to join her. But this time we’re not staying for just a few days — because this is it. We have been working towards this move as a serious goal for the last two years but it’s been our on-again, off-again dream for nearly two decades.

And now that it has become reality, I can’t help but wonder if the famous expression I used to recite at the start of my night tour all those years ago is actually true: Roma, non basta una vita — Rome, a lifetime is not enough.

Let’s find out.
I am so happy for you both. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am so glad we were able to get together for one last Camino reunion in Lisbon. I know how much work and frustration has been involved with all of the bureaucratic hoops. But now the finish line is just a couple of hours away on a plane! Safe travels, Nick.

Can’t wait to read all about your new adventures. I’m wondering if you will have a Rome-based website. Your fan club here on the forum enjoys reading your wonderful prose so much!

IMG_0958.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

Can’t wait to read all about your new adventures. I’m wondering if you will have a Rome-based website. Your fan club here on the forum enjoys reading your wonderful prose so much!
Thank you! :)

I would like to write about Rome but haven't really thought about how to do it yet. In the meantime here are links to two essays I wrote about Roman monuments for Following Hadrian, and I have an idea for a third (and final) one in that series, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. The first one is pretty much pure history, while the second one tries to weave history and my own experience together.

'Always in all things changeable': the emperor and his tomb (about the Mausoleum of Hadrian / Castel Sant'Angelo)

'The many lives of an eternal monument': the Mausoleum of Augustus renewed

Meanwhile, more photography than writing, but to celebrate the move I just started a Rome-focused Instagram account: RomeLegacy.

I perhaps foolishly committed myself to writing bilingual captions for the photos as an Italian writing exercise. Because of that, I need to make them pretty short so I don't dig too big a hole for myself!

Last edited:
Dear Nick @jungleboy and Wendy @Wendy Werneth 😍

Adding my good wishes to all the above. SO HAPPY FOR YOU. 🥳 You had a dream, and then a plan. After that it was all logistics and patience - painstaking logistics and endless patience. 🙏

But now the time has come. You are starting a new chapter in the place where you met. It sounds a little familiar to me. 😉

The French and I send you both our very best wishes. Thé Assisi Way is in our future - we hope. So maybe we will see you in Roma one day.

Wishing you - Buon viaggio e una bella vita nella tua nuova casa.. 🙏 🇮🇹 ♥️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nick, to the two of you 👫, may your lives unfold harmoniously together in your new Rome adventure, albeit the second time around.
I've enjoyed our chats and have always looked forward to reading your various "Live on the Camino" threads of your many walks.
All the best to you and Wendy. 🥰

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What an eloquently written account of a beautiful story. An antidote to other world news. I wish you all the best as you embrace this next chapter. May it be a long one! We'll all be looking forward to its publication.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

That was quite a week.

Let’s find out.

Happy for you both.

Buen camino.

🙏🏾❤️🙏🏾

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back