• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Through... by Paul Stutzman

lizlane

Small Town Girl, Small Town World
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
"Hiking Through: One Man's Journey to Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail."

This book, while it is not a book about walking the Way of St. James, is a great book for anyone who is examining their reasons for walking a spiritual journey. The author shares his experience of walking the entire Appalachian Trail, over 2000 miles, following the loss of his wife to cancer.

I read it because I was asked by a friend: "Why do you want to do this (go on pilgrimage)? Why do you need to go to Spain to have a spiritual experience? Why not just walk the Appalachian Trail?"
I could only answer him "I feel called and by feel, I mean deeply with every fiber of my being, and by called, I mean I must respond." Yet the other questions were valid. The truth is that I don't need to go to Santiago to have a spiritual experience, I have lots of them daily in my own front yard. The AT is closer, no plane ticket required, no need to learn a foreign language, and offers a stunning beauty of its own. So I bought the book and read it.

Thankfully, the author not only can write well, making the book enjoyable, but actually did all the hard work. It was educational. The AT offers shelters, hiker hostels and all-you-can-eat buffets, work-for-beds/meals stays and similar comraderie, "losing" unwanted travelers, reuniting with friends one didn't mean to lose.

While I found it inspiring that God lead him to a different kind of spiritual journey, what I found most relatable and relevant was the drive. This was something he had to do. I can relate to that. I enjoyed every page of the book but at the end, I can shake my head affirmatively, the AT is just not for me! I have absolutely no desire to walk any part of it, even though a small section could be fun and certainly closer to home. Even as a Catholic, I don't feel lead to go to Rome or Jerusalem (though I hear they're beautiful and that could be fun, too). I will see Spain, God providing!

I am firmly rooted in the truth that the invitation of the Spirit to the Way of St. James is a spiritual experience all in itself and that the opportunity to walk it is a fundamentally each soul's response to God himself. (In whatever way that might be for you.) I wonder if others who journey to Santiago and are seeking more of a physical challenge might not be better suited for the AT!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You know it's interesting....I was keen on doing the LEJOG walk and in reading about it, discovered that it didn't really hold as much appeal as I had anticipated. I still want to go to Scotland (and in particular the island Coll) to connect with my ancestral roots, but that will be quite a different trip to walking from Land's End. As someone with multiple goals, I always find it liberating to discover what I DON'T want to do!

Hallo Paul,I would like to read the AT book some time,but here is one for you.We have just walked on the Camino from Jean de Port to Burgos:"I say your Camino only starts,when you have finished your walk and are back home." Think about it - regards-Johann Pretorius from South Africa

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back