• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hola Chicos

crissy311

I am hoping to walk for my first time this year. I would like to walk the Camino Frances in its entirety however my father thinks I am crazy :D Any advice on whether I should go for the whole thing or start with a piece would be greatly appreciated. Also it looks like I will be walking in August, will it really be too hot? I am 27 and from Atlanta GA

A selection of Camino Jewellery
crissy311 said:
I am hoping to walk for my first time this year. I would like to walk the Camino Frances in its entirety however my father thinks I am crazy :D Any advice on whether I should go for the whole thing or start with a piece would be greatly appreciated. Also it looks like I will be walking in August, will it really be too hot? I am 27 and from Atlanta GA
Hi Crissy,
Many people walk the whole Camino Frances, or more, in one hit, so if you want to do it, it is certainly possible. Whether it is crazy or not is quite another story really, and when you get home at the end of it, you might find people assume you really were crazy to have done such a thing. :shock: You are then excused as being a bit eccentric for months and possibly years to come. :eek: Great position to be in I reckon- I quite like being a little eccentric- quite an antidote to modern madness.
With respect to the month of August, I am pretty certain I would have found it far too hot for my comfort level. But then, many others have walked the Camino during August and arrived safe and sound at the Pilgrim Office at the end of it all....
Margaret

The nice thing about walking in August is that you don't need so many clothes!

I walked end of August, first of September and it was lovely weather!

MANY people go from SJPP to Santiago ... it's awesome.. do it.. you won't be sorry.
Read all the posts and all the opinions and all the advice on this forum... begin gathering your gear.. and go WALK!

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Muchas Gracias...
I am in a debate with my parents about how far they are going to allow me to walk. I am worried that if I cave and agree to only walking the last 100km the first time I will be disappointed if it felt too easy. Then I will not know where to go. Or should I start at the beginning and see how far I can get in the time allotted by my father, then take a train to Santiago and walk the last few km? Is anyone else planning on walking in August? My parents really want me to find someone, preferably who is fluent in Spanish, to walk "with".

Crissy

I think that you should do what you want to. I'm just wondering, do you have some kind of disability, that your parents are worried about, or are they just being way over protective parents?

I only ask because I'm 26 and though my parents worry about me being away for so long, that is their only concern, that I'll be gone too long. I just think that at 27 you should make your own life decisions.

Of course, I don't know your life, or your situation, so i mean no disrespect in anything I say.

I hope you make the right decision for YOU, and not for your parents.

Welcome, Crissy,

It has been my experience, that people who are not called to walk the Camino, especially in the States where it has had less exposure and people are so accustomed to hearing all the terrible and tragic things that can and do happen, cannot quite get their "minds around" the idea of making this Pilgrimage. It is understandable. I have completed it twice and done a number of presentations for some groups and spoken to local pilgrims about to embark and they all have told me that their friends and loved ones think they are "crazy". And perhaps we all are.

I would strongly recommend walking it in its entirety. There is something about the stages - people will tell you that there are three distinct stages to the Camino - that gives a feeling of completion. I am fully aware that many people, due to myriad restrictions, walk it in stages and don't mean to negate their experiences in any way. However, I have done both- once From Roncesvalles to Santiago and once from Moratinos to MuxĂ­a and Fisterra - and I definitely noted a difference. I would say if you have the time and the resources, you will not regret walking the entire Way.

Remember that Spain is not a third world country. You will be able to find internet access in many albergues or cafes along the way and can send emails regularly. You can also get a personal gps system that will allow your family to see where you are on a daily basis. You will undoubtedly meet up with many people of all ages, especially in the summer, who will be walking companions. My son is 27 and if he were inclined to go to the Camino, I would encourage him with every ounce of my being. I was 53 when I walked it the first time - and I went alone. Everyone (possibly including myself) thought I was crazy as well.

Your parents are worried about your safety. That is a blessing. However, you are an adult. With all respect to them, as I am a parent, myself, I think you should make your own decision. I take students to Spain every summer - they are much younger than you are. It is a very safe country and the Camino, while certainly not perfect, is a generally safe experience. And one that will stay with you for your entire life.

Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, maybe I should have started with saying my father is from Spain. A small town just North of Leon. Also, he did not tell me outright no, which was good. I have lots of respect for my parents and I think it is because I know to overshoot when I ask for things and that we always come to a good compromise. I would definitely be walking the Camino in its entirety if my father had said yes. He is worried that I cannot complete it in 35 days, he says that people who walk it in it's entirety take 2-3 months. I did not argue as I have not asked how long people take. His compromise for me is, since he was planning on going to the village in August anyway, that I can go with him and walk to Sanitago from Leon. Once he sees that I am capable, he will help me go back next summer to start in Roncevalles. He is already feeling much better with all of the knowledge that I have and have shared with him. We had a good laugh about my packing. When I told him no worries I only need 2 outfits and 5 pairs of socks he laughed. This is because the past two times that we went to Spain for two weeks I had a completely packed carry-on suitcase with five pairs of shoes. Both times we were sight seeing and attending weddings. I have explained the difference in that and the Camino and the luggage necessary :) I told him that I can always call at night from the Albergues if he wishes. And I can send emails from cibercafes if/when I pass them. I also looked at statistics for last August and the number of pelegrinos who walked. When I shared this info and that they are expecting double that many this year he knew I would not be alone.
So, now I must say hooray! I will be there in August walking from Leon. Hope to see some of you out there! :)

Crissy,
I think you should clarify with your father what the "whole camino" is.
Most people, speaking of the whole camino mean the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port or Roncesvalles to Santiago.

How many days does it take? Many of the guidebooks are divided into 31 to 33 stages, each being one day of walking. Many pilgrims average 23 to 25 kms per day which works out to (suprise, suprise) 31 to 34 days for the whole thing.

I personally think pilgrims doing just the last 100 kms are missing the point and also miss the greatest part of the experience. Walking is the objective, Santiago is just the destination.

Make Leon to Santiago your bottom line. I have friends who did that out of necessity and truly experienced what it means to be a pilgrim. The first week is a real shock, and along with sore muscles and stiff joints, they wonder what they have gotten in to. By the time you get into the second week, you have acclimatized and got your rhythm, made a few friends and have lots of acquaintences who are also pilgrims. This is when the sense of achievement and belonging becomes intoxicating. One Hundred kms in Four days from Sarria just doesn't give you the experience.

Good luck in your negotiations with your dad and remember... only two outfits and 5 pairs of socks.

David, Victoria, Canada

Hi Crissy,
A word about danger on the Camino.
Tell your dad that the Guardia Civil is overseeing the Camino. To walk the Way is one of the safest things that you could do in your lifetime in the whole of Spain.
Nothing shocking has ever happened along the Camino, except for people falling in love.
So your dad is from a village near Leon ?!
Give him my regards.
One of my hobbies is fly fishing and in the year 2006 I walked the Camino as the Flyfishing Pilgrim.
I had taken a travel rod with me and a reel and line and a box of flies.
It so happened that I was there during the International Flyfishing Week.
Wonderful countryside with clear streams and lots and lots of fish.
I had found a fishing guide who took me into the mountains, breathtakingly beautiful !
In my experience Leon has really become one of the happiest days along the Camino.
Last year I walked the Way once more and once more I went out flyfishing with my guide Martin.
After I have spent time as a voluntario in Gaucelmo, the refugion of the Confraternity this year,
I will most certainly treat myself to another day fishing in the fantastic countryside of Leon.
Enjoy your walk on the sunnyside of life and feel safe.
You will make many new friends there.
Please, decide to walk the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago.
It will change your life forever.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Chrissy,

I think you came to a great compromise with your parents. You get a Camino and a third out of it! :)

I suggest you look to your first this summer as a training/fact-finding Camino where you will learn you capabilities and get familiar with your gear and packing requirements. It'll all make your second, longer Camino that much more enjoyable.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.