• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitaleros needed for Winter 2024

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
Hoping this thread is a good one to post the following:
Desde noviembre y hasta febrero/marzo, quedarán abiertos 6 albergues en los que nosotros trabajamos, estos están bien equipados para pasar el invierno. Los turnos de este año 2023, ya están cubiertos, pero no los de los primeros meses del año 2024. Por lo que invito a todos los voluntarios que quieran y puedan ser hospitaleros en el primer trimestre del próximo año (enero, febrero y marzo), a que me envíen ya sus ofrecimientos.

The above is taken from the Boletin that just came to my inbox today. Essentially, there are six albergues open over winter that have volunteers till the end of 2023, but volunteers are required for the first three months of 2024. If anyone is interested, and has done a training, you can contact Hosvol.
hosvol@caminosantiago.org

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We can't do it this year as I am still working until I retire in May, but usually Ponferrada, Zamora, and Grañón will have volunteers. I think Caldazilla de los Hermanillos, Salamanca, and Arres are also open, but may not have volunteers. We've been told the most difficult month to find volunteers is in February.

Thank you for posting @Kirkie and thank you to the hundreds of volunteers who served this season.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Desde noviembre y hasta febrero/marzo, quedarán abiertos 6 albergues en los que nosotros trabajamos, estos están bien equipados para pasar el invierno. Los turnos de este año 2023, ya están cubiertos, pero no los de los primeros meses del año 2024. Por lo que invito a todos los voluntarios que quieran y puedan ser hospitaleros en el primer trimestre del próximo año (enero, febrero y marzo), a que me envíen ya sus ofrecimientos.

The above is taken from the Boletin that just came to my inbox today. Essentially, there are six albergues open over winter that have volunteers till the end of 2023, but volunteers are required for the first three months of 2024. If anyone is interested, and has done a training, you can contact Hosvol.
Hi, you mention training. How does one train, please and what is involved? Thank you.

Hi, you mention training. How does one train, please and what is involved? Thank you.
In the UK there is some training by the Confraternity of St James so contact them. In other countries, the training is an approved curriculum and is in person for at least two days. For a list of current courses through HosVol look here. It is regularly updated.

Training from HosVol involves cooking together in a group, role playing various situations, discussions about hospitality, discussion of the donativo concepts, bed bug surveillance and control, etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

(1) ¿que albergues necesitan hospitaleros? / which albergues need hospitaleros?
(2) ¿que especie de entrenamiento y cómo? / what sort of training and how?
(3) ¿dónde puede encontrar un poquito de explicacion sobre el trabajo? /
where to find some explanation about the job ?

(1) ¿que albergues necesitan hospitaleros? / which albergues need hospitaleros?
(2) ¿que especie de entrenamiento y cómo? / what sort of training and how?
(3) ¿dónde puede encontrar un poquito de explicacion sobre el trabajo? /
where to find some explanation about the job ?
Please go to this link:http://www.caminosantiago.org/
There is an application form with options re your preferences for albergues with or without offering meals, of participation or not in spiritual aspects of pilgrim life...and there are other links to training on other threads, one is where I originally posted or maybe try dick bird. I could not see where you are from so cannot be more precise. JWilhaus also has information about training. Rebekah Scott likewise. If you have Spanish, it will make it easier. You may pm me if you wish to ask me further, but perhaps you have enough links. Especially with a very recent post by dickbird
deepl is a superb translator if you need one.

Last edited:

Do we know where the albergues are?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the UK there is some training by the Confraternity of St James so contact them. In other countries, the training is an approved curriculum and is in person for at least two days. For a list of current courses through HosVol look here. It is regularly updated.

Training from HosVol involves cooking together in a group, role playing various situations, discussions about hospitality, discussion of the donativo concepts, bed bug surveillance and control, etc.
Thank you 😁
Please go to this link:http://www.caminosantiago.org/
There is an application form with options re your preferences for albergues with or without offering meals, of participation or not in spiritual aspects of pilgrim life...and there are other links to training on other threads, one is where I originally posted or maybe try dick bird. I could not see where you are from so cannot be more precise. JWilhaus also has information about training. Rebekah Scott likewise. If you have Spanish, it will make it easier. You may pm me if you wish to ask me further, but perhaps you have enough links. Especially with a very recent post by dickbird
deepl is a superb translator if you need one.
thank you. I walked the Frances last year with my Wife. From SJPDP to Santiago. I am not fluent in Spanish but I can understand, slowly, and can make myself understood. I am not Religious but I consider myself Spiritual. I love people and I love cooking and I loved life on the Camino. I need to immerse myself again.

Do we know where the albergues are?
Hosvol supports about 18 albergues with volunteers in the summer. All but 6 are closed in winter. Zamora, Grañón, and Ponferrada all have volunteers and are open in the winter. I am not certain which ones are the other three referred to. The training needed to volunteer is noted in post #6 above. We are volunteers, but we never know where we will be asked to serve. It is always a happy posting for us after 6 albergues, but you can decline if you think it won't suit you.

Hosvol supports about 18 albergues with volunteers in the summer. All but 6 are closed in winter. Zamora, Grañón, and Ponferrada all have volunteers and are open in the winter. I am not certain which ones are the other three referred to. The training needed to volunteer is noted in post #6 above. We are volunteers, but we never know where we will be asked to serve. It is always a happy posting for us after 6 albergues, but you can decline if you think it won't suit you.
I am highly curious, and interested of being a volunteer hospitalero. As a volunteer, what does the albergue provide subsequent to your volunteer work. Certainly, I am not talking monetary renumeration. And usually, is there a set number of days for volunteering? Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is no centralized albergue administration, so qualifications and arrangements vary from place to place. In general, hospitaleros need to have walked a Camino and attended a hospitalero training session (some exceptions may apply depending upon what group is administering the albergue). These are offered by APOC in the USA and similar groups in other countries. Some language skills are desired, but not mandatory.

Generally, you serve for the first half or last half of a month, receive no compensation, pay for your own travel, and are responsible for your own food outside of communal meals you may make for pilgrims. It’s hard work that costs you time and money, but worth it if you have that type of service mentality. Assignments are generally made at the end of the year for the next season, though openings do occur randomly through the year.

I just received an email about an upcoming hospitalero training in the US. You can check the American Pilgrims on the Camino website for more information. There are four this year in the US, I think so you can see what else is offered on the website. Often at least in HosVol, the coordinator will hold off on assigning returning veteran hospitaleros until the courses for new hospitaleros are finished. This allows the new people to get assigned. We just usually send a note of when we can be available and the coordinator lets us know if he needs us or not and where. It has always worked out that we were offered a place to serve.

The first few years we served (starting in 2017), some albergues provided a daily stipend for meals or personal groceries. This is a practice that is less observed now and may be gone entirely. Often the "rules" of the albergue and how finances are managed are not entirely clear until you arrive and get a handoff. You just have to be accepting of whatever is the practice and whatever rules in that village there are for the albergue. For example, sometimes you collect, count, record, and secure the donations. Sometimes someone else from the community does that.

If you work where communal meals are served (and you are preparing for or with pilgrims), as @Vacajoe says, you will eat with the pilgrims. You are provided a place to stay (on site) during your service time. It is generally a 24/7 job. Most albergues have a first 15 days of the month or last 15/16 days of the month assignment length. There are a few that were listed in my recent newsletter from HosVol which do either 1 week or 10 days to allow for people who don't have much vacation time to volunteer.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.