• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is the Camino ?

CarmeloB

Hi
I'm heading to St Jean on 14th April 2011 with 4 friends . Wondering how busy the Camino is likely to be at this time. Anyone walked at this time before?
We have booked our first 2 nights . Hope to just play it by ear after that?
Can't wait to start walking .... :?:
Carmel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is always difficult to know how many people will be on the Camino.

http://peregrinossantiago.es

links to the cathedral office site which shows how many compostella they issued last year (and earlier).

you can select the month/year.

if you scroll down it shows starting points.

it seems that there is a trend to start further up the Camino (nearer to Santiago) and that you might find it quiet for a while.

what it doesn't say is how many people are actually on the Camino bearing in mind that some people do it in stages over a number of years.

If you start in April you will finish late May early June. 2010 was a Holy year so numbers will be up, so have a look at 2009 and 2008.

If the real question is, will it be horribly crowded the answer is "no".

Hi and welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2011!

I walked in early April from SJPDP and there were a number of peregrinos in town that were going straight up the Napoleon (snowed heavily that night...check the weather before you depart) and others stopping at either Hunto or Orisson (my first stop).

The numbers were well past 100 souls when we departed Roncesvalles the following morning.

Now the jockeying for position begins. Some folks are happy walking 10-15 km a day, ending early in the afternoon while others shoot for longer distances so they start early and arrive late.

All this activity dilutes the numbers of pilgrims on any given leg of the Camino.

This process is repeated at every major city (Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Sarria). In fact, since Sarria is a logical starting point for many pilgrims with limited time, physical maladies, etc...the number will increase appreciably.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry about that bystander.

I have just checked the original line I posted from this thread and it wouldn't work for me either! :oops:

I should have checked it as soon as I had posted it here and amended it before it caused confusion. Apologies.

I have amended the address in my original post to the main portal.

I hope people find the link useful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Refugio Orisson is very near the top of my all time favs.

The dorms are clean and warm The outside deck has a remarkable view of the mountains and the supper bountiful and delicious. Oh, one last detail...the loo dispenses one piece of paper at a time. Not a big deal...unless it's a big deal!

If you arrive in time in SJPDP and before you begin your climb make sure you check with the pilgrim office on the weather. It can be raining in the valley and storming near the top.

Also, verify your reservation. On occasion a peregrino will arrive only to find their reservation is lost.

Saludos,

Arn

Hello Carmel,
Most pilgrims walk 20 to 25 kms per day and the Camino takes them between 31 and 39 days.
I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP in April 2004 and was on the Via de la Plata in April 2006 and 2010. I've never not had somewhere to lay my head. The hustle and bustle of pilgrims in Spring is energizing, not over powering and there will be plenty of space in the albergues. You will find though that Easter week is a little busier than the rest because some Spanish people take a few days to walk a section of the route.

You are in for a truly inspirational journey.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back