• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much Italian needed?

Doodles

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May 2013)
Portuguese (May 2014)
We've done the Camino Frances, Portugal and Arles and have gotten by just with our English and a few words in Spanish, Portuguese and French. We plan to do part of the Via Francigena this year, probably the last 400 km, but I just read in Alison Raju's Via Francigena guidebook that you REALLY need to know Italian well; otherwise, you are going to have a very hard time communicating for anything and that NOBODY speaks English. It is correct? I find it hard to believe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is not true that "NOBODY" speaks English but it is far less commonly spoken than along the Camino Frances or the Camino Portugues. I certainly came across many bar staff and hospitaleros who spoke no English and communication was only possible with my fragments of Italian, sometimes my marginally-better French and a good deal of sign language. On the couple of occasions when I contacted hospitaleros in advance I tried to do so by sms text messages translated into Italian by Google Translate - far from perfect but better than nothing. It is perfectly possible to walk the VF knowing only a few phrases of Italian for polite greetings, ordering food and asking for simple directions. But you will certainly gain more from the experience if you have learned a little more Italian in advance.

I cycle via Francigena for Pavia to Rome. From my experience it is not different from Spain (any Camino except Frances like Primitivo or via dr la Plata, Frances is too English friendly).

I have no problem with food and most general daily stuff (like a tourist in the Italian countryside) but may have a bit of problem in directions or at some of the lodging (particularly the parish church).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Italians are not the World's best linguists! Certainly not the older generations! We lived in Italy for about 20 years and I had to learn Italian fast.......or not do much communication. My 40 year plus kids hardly learnt a word of English in school. The programme was a total waste of time. So, yes, I would suggest you try and do a quick course of basic Italian! Of course, you will always find the exception, but they are most probably amount the younger generation and you can't skyways count on that when looking for places to stay and also in restaurants ( which might be a bit easier, because you can simply point to items on the menu ( provided you know what the dish is that you are pointing at)!

Hello, @Doodles. I spent 4 1/2 months walking the length of Italy on my way to Jerusalem. The only Italian known before starting out was a list of musical terms: largo, lento, allegro, crescendo...etc. Fun words but not the best for finding help in the middle of nowhere. I also spoke a little French and garbled Spanish learnt on the Caminos. That helped.

A pellegrino taught me a couple of phrases and words to get by. These, plus a credencial, a smile and much goodwill sufficed for most of the journey:

Buongiorno!
Sono una pellegrina. Camminando fino a Gerusalemme.
Per favore, dove si trove la chiesa/la parrocchia?
Dormire?
Grazie mille.

Each day I added one or two new words and by the time I reached Bari was communicating grandly.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
I had six 2 hour lessons at evening college before I walked to Rome. It wasn't enough, nevertheless I managed on a mixture of English, French, Spanish and sign language. And most important: good will of which there was plenty.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

G’day, I am an Aussie walking from London via Canterbury and the VF to Rome. After completing the Lon-Cant section (Chaucers’ Pilgrims Way) I am now in Licques at the end of Day 4 on the VF...
Due to length restraints, I’ve had to to split the story into two posts. I find it no longer ‘flows’. I suggest reading Part 1 again, link just below, before reading Part 2. Regards Gerard Part 1...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.