How much Italian needed?

Doodles

Aug 30, 2012
Thailand
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May 2013)
Portuguese (May 2014)
We've done the Camino Frances, Portugal and Arles and have gotten by just with our English and a few words in Spanish, Portuguese and French. We plan to do part of the Via Francigena this year, probably the last 400 km, but I just read in Alison Raju's Via Francigena guidebook that you REALLY need to know Italian well; otherwise, you are going to have a very hard time communicating for anything and that NOBODY speaks English. It is correct? I find it hard to believe.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
It is not true that "NOBODY" speaks English but it is far less commonly spoken than along the Camino Frances or the Camino Portugues. I certainly came across many bar staff and hospitaleros who spoke no English and communication was only possible with my fragments of Italian, sometimes my marginally-better French and a good deal of sign language. On the couple of occasions when I contacted hospitaleros in advance I tried to do so by sms text messages translated into Italian by Google Translate - far from perfect but better than nothing. It is perfectly possible to walk the VF knowing only a few phrases of Italian for polite greetings, ordering food and asking for simple directions. But you will certainly gain more from the experience if you have learned a little more Italian in advance.

evanlow

Veteran Member
Sep 13, 2006
Singapore
mycaminodesantiago.blogspot.com
After 11 Caminos, want to Ruta de la Lana next...
I cycle via Francigena for Pavia to Rome. From my experience it is not different from Spain (any Camino except Frances like Primitivo or via dr la Plata, Frances is too English friendly).

I have no problem with food and most general daily stuff (like a tourist in the Italian countryside) but may have a bit of problem in directions or at some of the lodging (particularly the parish church).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

annakappa

RIP 2024
Jan 6, 2009
Costa Rica
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
The Italians are not the World's best linguists! Certainly not the older generations! We lived in Italy for about 20 years and I had to learn Italian fast.......or not do much communication. My 40 year plus kids hardly learnt a word of English in school. The programme was a total waste of time. So, yes, I would suggest you try and do a quick course of basic Italian! Of course, you will always find the exception, but they are most probably amount the younger generation and you can't skyways count on that when looking for places to stay and also in restaurants ( which might be a bit easier, because you can simply point to items on the menu ( provided you know what the dish is that you are pointing at)!

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Sep 20, 2009
Hello, @Doodles. I spent 4 1/2 months walking the length of Italy on my way to Jerusalem. The only Italian known before starting out was a list of musical terms: largo, lento, allegro, crescendo...etc. Fun words but not the best for finding help in the middle of nowhere. I also spoke a little French and garbled Spanish learnt on the Caminos. That helped.

A pellegrino taught me a couple of phrases and words to get by. These, plus a credencial, a smile and much goodwill sufficed for most of the journey:

Buongiorno!
Sono una pellegrina. Camminando fino a Gerusalemme.
Per favore, dove si trove la chiesa/la parrocchia?
Dormire?
Grazie mille.

Each day I added one or two new words and by the time I reached Bari was communicating grandly.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
I had six 2 hour lessons at evening college before I walked to Rome. It wasn't enough, nevertheless I managed on a mixture of English, French, Spanish and sign language. And most important: good will of which there was plenty.

Reactions: NeeT
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

NeeT

Jan 28, 2016
London
June/July 2016
I have no knowledge on the route as I am doing my first ever Camino (Frances) in June, however I have been learning Italian. When are you leaving? Two things that I think are fantastic for learning it, even if it's just the basics, are https://www.duolingo.com/ and https://www.youtube.com/user/lucreziaoddone. If these don't help, there is always googletranslate ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give us some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...
Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.