• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much pavement?

Gene56D

I've read in several posts that there's a lot of pavement on the north route. Can somebody give me an estimate of how often we'll be walking on asphalt (20%,50%)? Next question is whether we should carry a tent. We'll be going in mid May to Mid June walking from Santander to Santiago.

We're getting our equipment together and I'd rather not carry a tent but if space in the alberques is a problem, I may have to.

Lastly it seems like the trail is not as well marked as the Frances. We'll probably be carrying an Android device, any recommendations of good aps that can see us through?

Thanks to all of you who ask questions and answer questions. I've learned a lot by reading what you've written. Keep up the good work!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gene56D said:
I've read in several posts that there's a lot of pavement on the north route. Can somebody give me an estimate of how often we'll be walking on asphalt (20%,50%)? Next question is whether we should carry a tent. We'll be going in mid May to Mid June walking from Santander to Santiago.

We're getting our equipment together and I'd rather not carry a tent but if space in the alberques is a problem, I may have to.

Lastly it seems like the trail is not as well marked as the Frances. We'll probably be carrying an Android device, any recommendations of good aps that can see us through?

Thanks to all of you who ask questions and answer questions. I've learned a lot by reading what you've written. Keep up the good work!
Hi Gene56D
Starting from Santander no more road than other Camino's-ditch the tent no need,I walked in late September lots of Albergues shut but never a problem finding a bed-the way is an holiday resort after all-I shared a twin-bedded room twice 34 euro for the room not a lot to pay for an onsuite-lots of younger people sometimes sleep out on the beaches or under the porches of the churches but this was by choice.
the way is marked ok though lots of alternative walks off-road along the coast,each region has small folding maps showing the way and all the accommadation,pick up from tourist information offices-ditch the fancy apps-just keep the water on your right and the land on your left :wink:
have a great Camino
Ian

Appliances leave at home
Alberques are plentiful especially after Santander.
No excess road walking , especially if you take the E9 along the coast.
Take your time , carry as little as possible and don't go mad planning this 12 months out.
As Ian said, and he has done plenty of camino's;
Keep the water on your right.
Enjoy , its great without the crowds but make sure you keep some tissues in your back pocket for the next days walking if the albergue is in a coastal city.....it runs out early.
Wonderful cafes in great locations on this coastal path.
David

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just finished the Camino del Norte from Bilbao and was surprised at the amount of pavement. Yes, it's possible to follow the E9 for some stretches, but there are some very long days of pavement, mostly on small, rural roads, but in some cases by the sides of fairly busy roads. In general, along the coast this camino follows the track of the N-634 highway and sometimes it adds a few km to keep pilgrims off this road, at which point one wonders, "Why not just walk on the pavement and save a few km?" At other times the path shortens the N-634 by sending pilgrims down canyons and by beaches that are inaccessible to the N-634 which is traversing inland to maintain elevation.

Even with the pavement, though, it is a very pleasant route and is a worthy choice, especially for a pilgrim who's already done the Camino Frances and is looking for a second camino adventure.

caminoist said:
"Why not just walk on the pavement and save a few km?"

:D After walking in the rain for a few hours any romantic ideas I had of following the camino when I knew it took a longer route by about half a km( which was usually on quiet back streets aspalt) to avoid a 100 meters of main road walking were soon put in their place.

You are from north America? In Europe 'pavement' means what I think you name a 'sidewalk'... :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
David said:
You are from north America? In Europe 'pavement' means what I think you name a 'sidewalk'... :wink:
Interesting. By pavement on the Camino del Norte I mean any of the following: concrete walkways, asphalt (tarmac) roads, concrete roads, concrete or ceramic walkways along roads -- in general anything that is not a dirt, grass, gravel or sand pathway.

Ok, before reading on please realise that this is meant to be tongue in cheek humour. I am not prejudice and do not wish to cause offence. If I do I apologise in advance! But seeing caminoist's photo I am reminded of Austin from the USA who I had the pleasure of spending some time walking the Finisterra with recently. He said that no one ever mistook him for anything but an American because he wore his cap back to front! :) So I assume that caminoist can't be an America?

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.