• Click to join the Casa Ivar mailing List
    (separate from the forum emails). This includes new videos created on YouTube and new prodcts on the Camino Forum Store. (Click the small "X" on the top right corner to remove this message)

Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

How much time needed for mobile phone for booking accomodati

BobM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I plan to buy a French SIM card for my mobile phone, just to use for booking accomodation each day for 10 days. I speak basic/reasonable French.

I don't want to buy a card with too much time that I may not use, so I would be interested in other experience booking accomodation via mobile. Is 10 minutes air time per day about right?

BTW, I am assuming that one can buy SIM cards with varying amounts of pre-paid time. Is that how it works in France?

Bob M

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Past OR future Camino
?
Bob,

I gather your phone is unlocked.

Here is a possible solution for you. Hire a SIM for whatever time you need it and pay as you go.
http://www.cellhire.co.uk/

Personally, I purchased a SIM from MobilityPass for 35$us and pay as you go. I have a UK number and the rates are very good in 212 countries with free incoming calls in 53 of them. Plus, I pass it to friends whenever they need it and I am not using it. It's in use almost year round.

There are many solutions for someone to be equipped for communication, but in your case, according to the usage intended, you could just ask where you're staying to call ahead for you and make the reservation. That would be close to free service.

Good luck!
Jean-Marc

philippe33

bonjour Bob
an other easy way is to buy a new mobile phone in Le Puy .For 39euros you get a new phone with 5 euros pre paid call included,and immediately your own number 06.....then you buy pre paid "mobicarte"10/15/20 euros... or more.
boutique "ORANGE", 5 rue saint gilles Le Puy en Velay
for reservation, 3/5 minutes are enough
bonjour,je suis pèlerin sur le chemin,avez vous un lit disponible pour demain soir, quel est le tarif?
mon nom est Bob,je suis Australien, mon numero de portable est: 06......merci a demain
more informations on orange.fr
buen camino
philippe

BobM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
Thx for the detailed replies :D , especially Philippe,s "boilerplate" French. BTW, I am using a Slovak kezboard at the moment, and it is the oddest kezboard I have come across, so mz tzping might look a bit odd as well. There is a "whz" kez somewhere, but I can§t find it zet :x

Bob M

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads