• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How to pronounce ULTREJA

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ultreia :?:

"...the (medieval Latin hymn) of the pilgrims on the way to Santiago; onward, onward. On through the forests and wildernesses of the Spanish north, still only recently reconquered from the Moors; on towards their goal, the field of the star, Campus Stellae, Compostela." Andrea Kirkby.

hmm...

I guess,

phonetically,

in English,

it may sound something like "ultreya..."

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

Hm. I wonder if it's pronounced as an "i", i. like "Ieress" for Jerez (the city in Spain http://www.jerez.org) or spanish as a guttural "ch" like "Cheress" for Jerez. Or is it "h" like "Heress" for Jerez"? Both (ch and h) sounds right to me, sort of. I personally would say it's the "ch". But I'm no Spaniard. Well, I can follow my family tree back to the year 1412, though - but, alas, not in Spain, but near the border to Bohemia, deep in the sticks...

So it's either:

"ultreja"
"ultrecha"
"ultreha"

Ivar? Hölp... Your wife should know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, it's an archaic Latin term, mostly unknown to present day Iberians. I doubt that most people you may meet along your Caminos would know what it means. You will hear the expression: "Buen Camino :!: ," more, to which I always reply, "gracias, buen camino :!: :arrow: ."

xm

e ultreia, e sus eia

My copy of the song spells the word " e ultreia" It is also in the song" Ad Honorem Regis Summi)

Dum Paterfamilas (Codex Calixtinus)

Dum paterfamilias, Rex universorum
Donaret provincias, jus apostolorum
Jacobus Hispanias, lux illustrat morum,

*Primus ex Apostolis! Martyr Jerosolymis!
Jacobus Egregio sacer est martyrio.

Jacobi Gallecia open rogat piam,
Glebe cuius Gloria dat insignem viam,
Ut precum frequentia cantet melodiam:
Herru Sanctiagu! Got Santiciagu!
E ultreia! E sus eia! Deus adjuva nos.

God, Father of all mankind, King, ruler of the world
Gave to his apostles dear,
lands, each to their own just care
James in his own land of Spain,
Shines out with a holy flame

*First amongst Apostles now!
Martyred at Jerusalem!
James became the holiest
by illustrious martyrdom!

Lo! James’s Galicia calls out for our pious toil,
Marching on the holy way, road over her glorious soil.
Blending all our prayers in one harmony of endless song:
To Lord St James! To God’s St James!
And Onward! And Upward! God speed our way!

Mail me f you would like a copy of the music sheet

Most read last week in this forum