• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How to protect the camino from fleas?

MitPunkten

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues 2018
Camino Frances 2019 until Fisterra
Hi guys
I‘m staying with a host family right now. Unfortunately there is not really an other option. In 2 weeks I want to start my camino frances. So my question has like to parts:
1) how to get rid of them? I washed and dryed everything already at 60 degrees and was vacuum cleaning as good as I could. The thing is: The family doesn‘t want to have chemicals in their home. So how can I get rid of them? Their cat has already been treated.
2) How not to bring them to SJPP and to my home?
I know exactly that it are fleas and not bed bugs or anything because I saw and killed several of them already.
Thanks a lot for your advice, I can‘t wait to try them. These bites are itching as f***.
Greetings, Muriel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi, lavender oil for the itch. Maybe try putting your whole backpack in an enclosed big garbage bag and taking it outside and spraying it outside the house.? As for your room try wiping everything down with cleaning vinegar mixed with lavender oil...a lot of work and so annoying for you. Best of luck.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The washing and drying with heat should do the job but do it again just before leaving and then put the clothes in a plastic bag so any fleas that are left in the house can't get back into them.

Hi Lulla
Thanks for your advice!
Already tried lavender oil and tee tree oil for the itch. Unfortunately it didnt work at all. Also I don‘t want to embaras them by treating my stuff so intense. If I‘ll see any at home I‘ll definitely try the thing with a garbage bag!
Thanks a lot

The washing and drying with heat should do the job but do it again just before leaving and then put the clothes in a plastic bag so any fleas that are left in the house can't get back into them.
Hi Rick
Seems like a discreet method!
I‘ll definitely do that! So at least I can protect SJPP from fleas and enjoy the Camino.
Thank you very much!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum