• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Second Camino - how much did it differ from the first (mentally)?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
So barely 3 months after returning from walking the CF I find myself planning to walk the VDLP next spring. This isn't an uncommon scenario, I realize, and I know many on this forum have walked multiple caminos.

The aspect that I probably least enjoyed on the CF was the crowds of pilgrims. It's not that I'm antisocial, but I really disliked walking with pilgrims in front of me or behind me. I was envisioning long windy and empty paths to walk along, not a parade of pilgrims. I'd frequently stop along the trail and wait (sometimes for a long time) for the waves of pilgrims to pass so that I could taste the magic of walking all alone with no fellow pilgrims in sight. I'm therefore confident that the VDLP will be a fantastic camino for me.

I'm noticing how differently I'm anticipating my next camino, compared to how I anticipated my first one. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I feel much less "pressure" as I plan my next one. I had a number of people - family, friends, co-workers, etc. - follow along with me on my first camino, as I blogged daily. In retrospect I can see that this created an obligation for me every day. I had to capture some great photos, and I needed a story or two to tell. At times I was feeling like a travel blogger, which was not what I was there for.

Overall I think my head was bursting with excitement, anticipation, and concerns about all the logistics of walking a camino. I was also very focused on my mental state as I walked, having put way too much credence in the whole "first part is physical, second part is mental, third part is spiritual" stuff you hear over and over. Simply put, I had a lot of (too many) hopes, wants and expectations for that first camino. It was wonderful, and certainly left me wanting more.

For my next camino I'm feeling very different. I know what to expect now, so no need to obsess over the logistical details. I also know what to expect physically and mentally, so will let those things take their natural course, without me feeling like there's some sort of timetable that dictates how you should be feeling physically or mentally at any given stage. I feel like when I set off next spring it'll be with a much lighter step than it was last spring, and my whole approach will be more casual and relaxed than it was on my first camino.

How about others? Did you notice a marked difference in your attitude and mental state and approach on your second camino?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The VdlP may be what you seek, but be aware you may not see many other Pilgrims at all.
Fine by me!

Although I'll be starting out around mid-April, which seems to be the busiest time for this route, so I expect I'll see a few others.

Ironically, I'm looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims more on this camino than the last! That sounds contrary to what I posted above, but I suspect that because there are far fewer fellow pilgrims on the VDLP, we will just naturally gravitate towards each other more than people do on the crowded CF. If I'm seeing the same handful of people daily (and no others), then I think there's a good chance of making a more meaningful connection than one has in a packed albergue on the CF.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our return to Spain after the first Camino was to give back as volunteers. I appreciated so much the gift we'd been given and wanted to return that gift to others. Now it is always a combination of serving and walking so we don't always have a clear plan of where we will walk until we know where we will be asked to serve. I think that "letting go" of the need to know everything, plan everything, is one of the gifts the Camino has taught me. I am certainly more comfortable with how to travel around Spain and it compelled me to learn more Spanish. Best wishes. It is also my goal to walk the Via de la Plata someday soon although we never know what life will bring...

Fine by me!

Although I'll be starting out around mid-April, which seems to be the busiest time for this route, so I expect I'll see a few others.

Ironically, I'm looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims more on this camino than the last! That sounds contrary to what I posted above, but I suspect that because there are far fewer fellow pilgrims on the VDLP, we will just naturally gravitate towards each other more than people do on the crowded CF. If I'm seeing the same handful of people daily (and no others), then I think there's a good chance of making a more meaningful connection than one has in a packed albergue on the CF.

True. Though a lot depends on your daily distance / walking speed.
You may come across a few more 'pro' Pilgrims on the VdlP who walk quite long stages and fairly fast.
I was the 'snail' amongst all those I came across.

But you may find a couple of people you naturally fall into step with.
Though it was a week before I really met anyone at all. :rolleyes:

Glorious in both regards :)

How about others? Did you notice a marked difference in your attitude and mental state and approach on your second camino?
I certainly felt differently about my second Camino. Part of that was because the Camino itself had changed markedly in the numbers walking and the infrastructure in the 12 years between my first and second walks. Far more aware of being part of a large-scale established communal experience on that second walk rather than a low-key and still experimental one. Another factor was that I was in a very different mental and religious mind set by the time of my second journey which clearly affected the way I perceived my journey. There is also the practical effect of having prior knowledge of the country and the route which has both positive and negative aspects - less to be anxious about but also fewer surprises to keep the experience fresh and new each day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@JustJack to take a sideways from your OP I wish you buen Camino. On my first Camino I walked from that funny little town in southern France to Santiago and, when I got there, paid my respects to one who may have touched the divine. Then I walked to Fisterra and the lighthouse and to Muxia and the boat because I had promised my grandma that I would. I had absolutely no expectations of the journey itself other than that there would be up bits and down bits and weather. I didn’t perceive it as any different to any other long distance hike I’d undertaken elsewhere in Spain or anywhere else at all. Yes, I was on pilgrimage, I was making pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago but that just involved walking to Santiago.

Yes, I met some lovely people who were doing what I was doing, more or less, but exactly what they were doing and why were not of my concern. Nor were the concerns of others any concern of mine.

I’m a late-comer to Camino compared to some of the veterans here but I think that I was lucky, even privileged, to have walked at a time where the extent of expectation was that I would get to Santiago. I walked without anticipation of revelation, or personal transformation. I wasn’t expecting discovery: I’d probably walked 15000 miles in my own company by the time I finally got around to Camino.

And that said, my second Camino was a revelation, a moment of discovery. The Camino were a great way to meet the most extraordinary wealth of people I would probably never otherwise have met. I even liked some of them 😉

Last edited:
My second Camino was completely different than my first. The Camino had substantially changed in the intervening 28 years and, not surprisingly, so had I. Doing it myself as a young man living in Spain is quite different than comin back as an adult, and a father with his teenage son.

That said, my third was different than my second and my fourth was quite different from my third. I'm sure my fifth will be different, too.

It is true that you get a growing sense of what to expect, including the inevitable surprises. The excitement never quite completely disappears but you get more confortable with it.

"first part is physical, second part is mental, third part is spiritual"
Someone recently said to me that the first Camino was a Confession, the second Penance and the third Absolution. I'm not Catholic but I liked the analogy. I'm gearing up for my second Camino now and am much more relaxed about the entire process. The plan has changed twice since I first started researching my route and there has been no stress or worry associated with any of it. It will be what it will be.

Buen Camino! Enjoy planning and walking your next Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Someone recently said to me that the first Camino was a Confession, the second Penance and the third Absolution. I'm not Catholic but I liked the analogy. I'm gearing up for my second Camino now and am much more relaxed about the entire process. The plan has changed twice since I first started researching my route and there has been no stress or worry associated with any of it. It will be what it will be.

In that case, this explains why my #2 has been *so* hard....other than choosing the Primitivo when I had no business doing so.....

They are markedly different. After the first 2-3 caminos, I've walked 8 including vdlp which was my third, I had a completely different view on the camino. I wasn't so concerned about a lot of things - I knew what to expect, both physically and mentally and I felt no need to socialize with other pilgrims. On my recently finished one I took care to start early in the morning and enjoy the quiet solitude, if passing a bar or diner during the day, I kept going if there were many pilgrims. Were rarely all that social at the albergues.
Funny though - at one albergue there was a woman that "complained" about her feeling left out. No one greeted her, no buen camino or anything and none of the camino family thing. A group of same age pilgrims took her under their wings - but also told her to be more open and take initiatives.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was also very focused on my mental state as I walked, having put way too much credence in the whole "first part is physical, second part is mental, third part is spiritual" stuff you hear over and over.
I agree that focusing on this physical/mental/spiritual breakdown does you a disservice.
We are not all the same, and some may find it tougher mentally than physically at the beginning. Others will not find any huge difference between the beginning, middle or end of their Camino. There's also this idea that the Meseta is where you can really work out your "issues," as if you can only gain clarity when walking in a mostly flat and treeless environment. What about those who start after the Meseta or walk a different route? Does that mean that they have missed their opportunity to gain insights? Of course not. All of these ideas add to unrealistic expectations, and big expectations can lead to big disappointments. I remember a post years ago from a peregrina who was on the Camino and was wondering when she was going to have her epiphany, as if it could be scheduled!

I agree that focusing on this physical/mental/spiritual breakdown does you a disservice.
We are not all the same, and some may find it tougher mentally than physically at the beginning. Others will not find any huge difference between the beginning, middle or end of their Camino. There's also this idea that the Meseta is where you can really work out your "issues," as if you can only gain clarity when walking in a mostly flat and treeless environment. What about those who start after the Meseta or walk a different route? Does that mean that they have missed their opportunity to gain insights? Of course not. All of these ideas add to unrealistic expectations, and big expectations can lead to big disappointments. I remember a post years ago from a peregrina who was on the Camino and was wondering when she was going to have her epiphany, as if it could be scheduled!
ha ha, I agree with all of that. I don't beat myself up for some of the silly hopes/dreams/aspirations I spent three years building up before walking, but I'm glad that my thinking has evolved since that time, and I can approach the next camino without so many heavy expectations. I fully expect my pack will actually feel lighter!

Oh and can I just add one more thing. I've noticed that all the people around me that were very interested in and excited about my first camino seem to have zero interest or enthusiasm for camino #2. I expected a muted response, but wow it's been crickets. But these are 100% people that had never heard of the camino, nor will they ever have any interest in walking one, so it stands to reason their interest wouldn't last beyond the first camino. Now they probably just think it's weird I'm doing it again... :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've noticed that all the people around me that were very interested in and excited about my first camino seem to have zero interest or enthusiasm for camino #2. I expected a muted response, but wow it's been crickets.
Novelty has a very short shelf life! :cool: I've long since given up talking about my long-distance walking with my family and friends unless they specifically ask me about it. No good reason to inflict my peculiar passion on those who couldn't care less!

My first was the CF from SJPdP to SdC and it was an incredible learning experience where I met some really amazing pilgrims who I shared the road with. My second was CP from Porto to SdC and it was just as incredible and upbeat. My third was a total bummer, I returned to do the CF from SJPdP which was the year shortly after the release of the film "The Way." The culture had changed or maybe I had changed but I found myself surrounded by a "family" of newbies who were out of tune with my vibe. Every time I devised a way to distance myself from them, there they were again at my dinner table. Since then from number 4 to number 13 Camino, I have chosen the path less traveled during seasons with fewer folks on the route.

Last edited:
I found that after my first, all others were more comfortable and perhaps a little less unique. What else was interesting was that on my fourth Camino, I walked some of the same stages again and I found that many of the hills that I thought were so exhausting at the time became quite tame. It's amazing how much of walking is psychological as much as physical. Kind of like the statement that the longest part of any day is the last two k.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it depends on how long you walk.

On my first Camino, it was six weeks in Spain, where the journey evolved from a physical test into an emotional and spiritual flowering.

On my second Camino, it was ten days and I was trying to repair a wounded heart, with some success.

On my third Camino, it was six days and a sense of completion with a visit to the Monumento ao camiñante at Monte do Gozo (which I'd missed on my first) and a couple of days at Muxía.

Three Caminos in three years (notwithstanding the Covid pause), which offered different experiences and taught me different lessons.

Time and personal circumstances made all the difference for each experience.

They each had their worth and weight, but nothing compares to the inner release that comes from a walk that lasts more than a couple of weeks.

It takes that long to let go of everything else.

"They each had their worth and weight, but nothing compares to the inner release that comes from a walk that lasts more than a couple of weeks."

I'm glad you mentioned that. Whilst I have theoretically walked two caminos, those were both very short. It will be very interesting to see how I feel on my first long walk. Whenever that may be.

So my first camino was the Inglès. It wasn't that I was being cautious and wanted to see if I liked it or not, one week was simply all the time that I had. And I had no desire to wait any longer. A bit like a child in a candy shop - I'd rather buy my little bag of sweets now then have to wait while I saved up for a big box of chocolates!
I wasn't at all nervous heading into my first Camino. I'd trained, researched my gear, tried and tested multiple different socks, had put in a good couple of hundred km in my shoes, my pack weight was pretty much where I wanted it to be, and because of my time restraints I had my accommodation booked.
In short I was really looking forward to the peace and quiet of the Inglès....
The one thing that I had failed to consider was that I was going just before Easter. Semana Santa! I also knew nothing about the Spanish proclivity to celebrate at the drop of a hat.
So my quiet reflective walk was anything but. And I loved every darn minute of it!
The hardest part came very shortly after I walked in to the square. I got a very big case of the Camino Blues. Purely and simply I felt that I'd only just started walking, and here I was already. Bugger.

My second was the Primitivo, coupled with the Verde variant. Just 3 months after my first. Again purely because of time constraints.
This one started with a whimper, not a roar. For the very simple reason that I was injured. I was seriously wondering if I should even get on the plane. Everything seemed to be running against me. The day I booked my flights they jumped in price from an already expensive 500 to 880 euros. Bear in mind that my first flight to and fro from Santiago had only cost me 350 euros - (I am only coming from near Berlin, after all). My local train was cancelled for exactly the time that I was away - one day before, until two days after my return. And a few other minor issues that I won't bother with. It really seemed that somebody was trying to tell me something.
If they were, it was the guy down below, not the bloke up there!
Because whilst my first day was the slowest I can ever recall walking since I was a young child, I did it. And it felt as though every kilometer I walked, my leg got stronger. My average pace for the day was something like two and a half kilometres an hour but I walked 25 kilometers. The next day , 32. And was rewarded for my efforts by a stay at the wonderful Bodenaya, with Allison and Albert. Better hosts you could not ask for, and the crowd there was also great. So good that I actually ended up spending the next five days with most of them. A first for me.
So what I'm trying to say is that my second camino was fantastic. Still got the camino blues though, just not as bad.
The differences were relatively small. Perhaps a little more confidence ? I actually added to the weight I was carrying - I bought a GoPro.
It was also great being able to help a Peregrina on her first day. I was no longer the novice! And I loved the fact that I'd only booked my first two nights. Plus I had the confidence to simply just walk, with my head on swivel knowing that I would always find an arrow, or if that failed, that sooner or later a local would point me in the right direction

To say that I'm looking forward to a decent, long camino is the understatement of the century!

Last edited:
On my first Camino I was not prepared for the mental stress I experienced while on the Camino and afterwards.
On my second Camino this year I was way better prepared, having cleared some of my mental and personal burden in the last few years. I really enjoyed being on Camino making some very dear friends, enjoying my surroundings, food and drinks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked CF in summer 2019 and did Portuguese route this past May/June - 2 different experiences. Second time around I was way more relaxed, I knew what to expect and felt I was prepared.

I did enjoy both walks but the second trip on the Portuguese route was different, don't know how to explain except that it was like the "camino magic" was not there. I don't know if it was because of less people, I stayed in more private places - only used an albergue a couple of times so I didn't meet the people or that simply I had walked a route before and it wasn't a new experience for me. I am really not sure what the issue was.

Like you I did the CF, with some of the same observations. Doing the VdlP was easier, in that I knew what to expect and harder due to the length, daily distances, fewer services, etc. The fellow pilgrims I met on this route were mostly experienced in distance walking/Caminos and generally older. On the CF it was much easier to skip ahead or do a shorter day, to distance yourself from fellow pilgrims, whereas on the VdlP, not so much. Overall the VdlP was more rewarding on a number of different levels.

"They each had their worth and weight, but nothing compares to the inner release that comes from a walk that lasts more than a couple of weeks."

I'm glad you mentioned that. Whilst I have theoretically walked two caminos, those were both very short. It will be very interesting to see how I feel on my first long walk. Whenever that may be.

So my first camino was the Inglès. It wasn't that I was being cautious and wanted to see if I liked it or not, one week was simply all the time that I had. And I had no desire to wait any longer. A bit like a child in a candy shop - I'd rather buy my little bag of sweets now then have to wait while I saved up for a big box of chocolates!
I wasn't at all nervous heading into my first Camino. I'd trained, researched my gear, tried and tested multiple different socks, had put in a good couple of hundred km in my shoes, my pack weight was pretty much where I wanted it to be, and because of my time restraints I had my accommodation booked.
In short I was really looking forward to the peace and quiet of the Inglès....
The one thing that I had failed to consider was that I was going just before Easter. Semana Santa! I also knew nothing about the Spanish proclivity to celebrate at the drop of a hat.
So my quiet reflective walk was anything but. And I loved every darn minute of it!
The hardest part came very shortly after I walked in to the square. I got a very big case of the Camino Blues. Purely and simply I felt that I'd only just started walking, and here I was already. Bugger.

My second was the Primitivo, coupled with the Verde variant. Just 3 months after my first. Again purely because of time constraints.
This one started with a whimper, not a roar. For the very simple reason that I was injured. I was seriously wondering if I should even get on the plane. Everything seemed to be running against me. The day I booked my flights they jumped in price from an already expensive 500 to 880 euros. Bear in mind that my first flight to and fro from Santiago had only cost me 350 euros - (I am only coming from near Berlin, after all). My local train was cancelled for exactly the time that I was away - one day before, until two days after my return. And a few other minor issues that I won't bother with. It really seemed that somebody was trying to tell me something.
If they were, it was the guy down below, not the bloke up there!
Because whilst my first day was the slowest I can ever recall walking since I was a young child, I did it. And it felt as though every kilometer I walked, my leg got stronger. My average pace for the day was something like two and a half kilometres an hour but I walked 25 kilometers. The next day , 32. And was rewarded for my efforts by a stay at the wonderful Bodenaya, with Allison and Albert. Better hosts you could not ask for, and the crowd there was also great. So good that I actually ended up spending the next five days with most of them. A first for me.
So what I'm trying to say is that my second camino was fantastic. Still got the camino blues though, just not as bad.
The differences were relatively small. Perhaps a little more confidence ? I actually added to the weight I was carrying - I bought a GoPro.
It was also great being able to help a Peregrina on her first day. I was no longer the novice! And I loved the fact that I'd only booked my first two nights. Plus I had the confidence to simply just walk, with my head on swivel knowing that I would always find an arrow, or if that failed, that sooner or later a local would point me in the right direction

To say that I'm looking forward to a decent, long camino is the understatement of the century!
I hope you find what you're looking for.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So barely 3 months after returning from walking the CF I find myself planning to walk the VDLP next spring. This isn't an uncommon scenario, I realize, and I know many on this forum have walked multiple caminos.

The aspect that I probably least enjoyed on the CF was the crowds of pilgrims. It's not that I'm antisocial, but I really disliked walking with pilgrims in front of me or behind me. I was envisioning long windy and empty paths to walk along, not a parade of pilgrims. I'd frequently stop along the trail and wait (sometimes for a long time) for the waves of pilgrims to pass so that I could taste the magic of walking all alone with no fellow pilgrims in sight. I'm therefore confident that the VDLP will be a fantastic camino for me.

I'm noticing how differently I'm anticipating my next camino, compared to how I anticipated my first one. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I feel much less "pressure" as I plan my next one. I had a number of people - family, friends, co-workers, etc. - follow along with me on my first camino, as I blogged daily. In retrospect I can see that this created an obligation for me every day. I had to capture some great photos, and I needed a story or two to tell. At times I was feeling like a travel blogger, which was not what I was there for.

Overall I think my head was bursting with excitement, anticipation, and concerns about all the logistics of walking a camino. I was also very focused on my mental state as I walked, having put way too much credence in the whole "first part is physical, second part is mental, third part is spiritual" stuff you hear over and over. Simply put, I had a lot of (too many) hopes, wants and expectations for that first camino. It was wonderful, and certainly left me wanting more.

For my next camino I'm feeling very different. I know what to expect now, so no need to obsess over the logistical details. I also know what to expect physically and mentally, so will let those things take their natural course, without me feeling like there's some sort of timetable that dictates how you should be feeling physically or mentally at any given stage. I feel like when I set off next spring it'll be with a much lighter step than it was last spring, and my whole approach will be more casual and relaxed than it was on my first camino.

In two days I’ll embark on my second Camino. The first (CF) was planned for 4 years … and the start date just a week after retirement. Now, 4 years later, it’s the Camino Portuguese. I’m starting to get anxious for the moment I land, get through customs, pickup the bag and strap it on the shoulders. Once I walk through those airport doors , it’s a completely new experience. Mentally, I’m ready (I think). Buen Camino to all.

I guess the fourth is Paradise.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

My second one was hard in doing the same route and having expectations of what was coming next, etc. Over time, I ve tried to walk alternate paths,stay in different villages or albergues to walk different sections at a different time of day than previously.

I don't mind crowds, but like you, I don't like having to walk at someone else's pace, so try to go around or stop and rest for a bit, take a detour.

I recently walked part of the Primitivo and it was really quiet until Melide, and then super busy. I was trying to milk the final day of walking, and from Lavacolla onward, pretty much walked alone.

I'll say that it's changed quite a bit from my first one, towns grow, paths get rerouted, albergues and cafes close or open. I think Pedrouza had one albergue the first time I walked, and one place to eat. A lot has changed.

I walked CF in summer 2019 and did Portuguese route this past May/June - 2 different experiences. Second time around I was way more relaxed, I knew what to expect and felt I was prepared.

I did enjoy both walks but the second trip on the Portuguese route was different, don't know how to explain except that it was like the "camino magic" was not there. I don't know if it was because of less people, I stayed in more private places - only used an albergue a couple of times so I didn't meet the people or that simply I had walked a route before and it wasn't a new experience for me. I am really not sure what the issue was.
I had a rough time walking the Portuguese routes, I think I went in expecting it to be more like the Frances, and it's not the same. But that was me wanting it to be something it wasn't. Oddly enough, didn't have same issue on Primitivo, but it was very solitary. I might've had one actual conversation, more language barrier than anything else. Lots of goofy synchronicity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fine by me!

Ha! Do I note a hint of expectation here? 🤨
I loved my Autumn Via because was so solitary - and the few fellow pilgrims I met on route seemed to be of the same mind. So the sort of connections I made on the Francés didn’t seem to occur for me. And as a slow walker others were mainly faster than me.
The exceptions were two different groups of Spanish pilgrims I joined in the early days for a bit of moral and practical support.
But that’s just my story.
The Via had its own unique superb magic. Who knows what it will offer you. May I suggest letting go of any desire to compare. Just enjoy.
Buen Camino.

It's strange that you said that @Jamieb as I walked the CF in 2020 and the Portuguese from Porto this summer. Although I really enjoyed both (and 2 weeks on the CF in 2022), there was definitely a different feeling about the CF. Having said that, next year's plan is for a less frequented path. I think that I jyst want to experience everything 😊

My brother and I planned to walk the Frances (my first camino, his second) in 2020... until covid hit and borders closed. When europe opened up to the US in July of 2021 we bolted. At first we stayed in albergues, but as Delta ramped up, we switched to private rooms because of my brother's health issues. I felt I missed a lot of the community he and others had experienced. I'm heading back in 3 weeks, to do a short 3 week camino from Leon. As time has passed I have begun debating internally, do I want the community or time for independence and introspection. I expect as when I get to Ponferrada I'll make a choice about continuing on the Frances or switching to the Invierno based on the couple of days walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My story differs in that my second Camino was a repeat of the last 2 1/2 weeks of our first Camino, which was a muddy, miserable slog through Galicia. Wet feet, wet sleeping bags, no dryer service so hours of attempting to dry stuff with a hairdryer until it overheated and you had to give it a rest. Having everything you own finally dried at a lovely Casa de Rural, only to set back out into the downpour that sogged it all out within 10 minutes. The arrival into Santiago was so underwhelming that I wanted to cry. No one was in the plaza and we waited 2 hours in line, liked drowned rats with our packs in the rain, to get our Compostelas.

This was in October of 2014. By December, I had already booked our return to walk from Astorga to Santiago in May. That was glorious in that there was no planning, just repeating the last 2 weeks, with hopes that the sun would shine this time. That prayer was answered, but we were so unprepared for the influx of folks from Sarria that year. The busigrinos were completely overwhelming as they consumed all available services we had used the year before.

With this bad taste in mind, we decided that Camino #3 would be void of the crowds we had encountered in 2015 and hopped on the Portuguese bandwagon for 2016. But, as the saying goes, "be careful of what you wish for". After the first 10 days, we had encountered a total of 10 other pilgrims. We did the Coastal and many places that were advertised as open in Brierlys just weren't; restaurants, albergues or cafes, nada. No folks, no services, not an established route as of yet...

This led to #4 being the Primitivo. Well established with lots of services, but the well-deserved reputation of being a hard route, seems to be enough to dissuade many folks, so it is not overcrowded. The Goldilocks of Caminos in my book.

A long winded answer but each Camino will be different as each one provides experiences that you didn't have before, and your expectations will evolve to reflect those experiences. The biggest change in myself is the sense that having done one, I can most assuredly do the next one, or anything else I choose to do.

Buen Camino!

I agree with others about trying to let go of expectations, though often easier said than done.

My first and second Caminos were the Frances. The first was solo, the second, 18 months later with a dear friend. Even though the path was the same and I knew much of what lay ahead in terms of terrain, villages and towns, and ‘how things worked’, it was a very different experience and equally wonderful camino.

This Sunday I will begin my 15th camino which will include the Frances for the first time in 10 years. All have been different experiences, and not just due to geography. Most I’d happily walk again. Usually our approach is not to know too much about the path before we walk, just some essentials, and that has helped me not to build expectations.

The only one I look back on and feel I struggled with mentally was our 2022 camino after some years in covid lockdown in Australia. In hindsight, I think I was so excited to be back that, for the first time, my head was laden with expectation of how it would be. This led to feelings of disappointment. I was so focused on what it wasn't, I missed some of what it was. It took me weeks of walking to let go of that. A great lesson.

No two camimos are the same even on the same path. Your VdelP will be different from your first camino but it may not be what you expect. You may see few people or you may see more than you anticipate. You may yearn both for solitude and for company depending on the day.

If possible I’d let go of thinking about how it will be the same or different, and stick with this:

I feel like when I set off next spring it'll be with a much lighter step than it was last spring, and my whole approach will be more casual and relaxed than it was on my first camino.

Buen camino.
PS we may see you in the VdelP next Spring 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
In reading the posts that provide feedback to first-timers, many suggest to not have too many or to have no expectations. Reading those posts I think that is almost impossible to achieve. After completing my first camino, I now know that I do not need to worry about where to sleep or eat, so I can focus more on the journey and my "why" I am walking. On my first camino, and subsequent, I was going through some varied personal challenges (career, family) and each time I knew that it would help me work on possible solutions. I did not know how I would come to the answers; perhaps from other pilgrims, or from my time walking alone to reflect , journaling, praying, or just the physical and mental distractions that the camino provides. So, while I did not have expectations on how I would find the answers or that I would for sure find answers, I did have expectations that the my camino had a personal purpose.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ha! Do I note a hint of expectation here? 🤨

Good catch. I am really striving to avoid having too many expectations. Easier said than done of course...

May I suggest letting go of any desire to compare. Just enjoy.
After reading everyone's comments I tend to agree that comparisons probably aren't very useful. Just accept each camino for what it is.

My first camino was a solo VDLP as a single woman. Total freedom. Also it was a June-July Camino. Always had someone to walk with if I wanted. Did lots of long days just because we could as it was up at dawn which was early. Almost always in albergues. A lot of time thinking about my own mental stuff.

The second was with my partner who was on his first doing the Levante and Invierno in Feb-Mar. Shorter days, later starts and hardly any other people. On the Levante we came across 3 pilgrims in total. More hostales and private options. A lot of time listening to my partner come out with his mental stuff. The occasional bus or taxi. Packs a lot heavier and I underestimated time needed and assumed I would do the same mileage as on the first. Wrong!
Very different.

I want to do a Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo combo. I will be assuming short stages and taking anything else as a bonus. Hoping to do it in May 2025.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Your sentiments mirror my own. I completed my first Camino in May of this year after many years of planning…I kept postponing it for one reason or another but I think overall I was just scared and overwhelmed by all the preparation and expectations I’d set upon myself.
Now that I’m planning my second (just a short one, the Camino Ingles as I plan on walking the Dingle Way beforehand), I feel so much more relaxed and confident! I know this journey will be totally different as a result…it’ll be a solo walk with literally just the bare essentials to keep my pack light (I had it transported many times on the last Camino) and I won’t be pre-booking all my accommodation. I think I’m just approaching it with a different attitude, more trusting and open to every experience without fear. 🙏🏻

@Jacki , I loved the Inglès but at the risk of sounding like a fear monger, if you're thinking of staying in Bruma, seriously consider booking the private Albergue there. Or walk the Inglès 'off stage ' as it were, especially if your dates are anywhere near a Spanish holiday. Numerous reports this year - a couple here, several from people I know - of many people having to walk an extra 10 km, or taxi to and back from accommodation. Unless, of course, you're happy with that.
It seems to be a fairly recent phenomena, many Spanish families/groups now walking it.
That said if you're a little away from those times you could have the entire trail to yourself and only half a dozen people in the Albergue.....
Timing is everything.
Enjoy!

@Jacki , I loved the Inglès but at the risk of sounding like a fear monger, if you're thinking of staying in Bruma, seriously consider booking the private Albergue there. Or walk the Inglès 'off stage ' as it were, especially if your dates are anywhere near a Spanish holiday. Numerous reports this year - a couple here, several from people I know - of many people having to walk an extra 10 km, or taxi to and back from accommodation. Unless, of course, you're happy with that.
It seems to be a fairly recent phenomena, many Spanish families/groups now walking it.
That said if you're a little away from those times you could have the entire trail to yourself and only half a dozen people in the Albergue.....
Timing is everything.
Enjoy!
I concur with this advice - Bruma can be a tricky one. I booked a room at the hotel to avoid awkwardness,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Timing is everything.
Enjoy!
Oh that’s really good to know, thanks so much! Maybe a wee bit of pre-booking is prudent after all…🤔 It’ll be in May which I know is also a very popular time.

Like you, the relative busy-ness of the Frances wasn’t the aspect that filled us with joy. Our second Camino was the Italian section of the VF. And we loved it. It gave us everything we could have hoped for and then some. This summer we completed our 5th Camino. I blogged everyday as we love re-reading our trip…it helps us feel connected to the experience and nudges our thoughts for the next trip.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh that’s really good to know, thanks so much! Maybe a wee bit of pre-booking is prudent after all…🤔 It’ll be in May which I know is also a very popular time.
I was there over Easter so my experience doesn't really count, but during that period everything was booked solid in Bruma -including the hotels nearby - for around five days . Everyday something between 20 and 30 people were being turned away according to the Hospitalier. And she mentioned that there were already several weeks throughout the year that were likely to be the same. Presumably in or near holidays.

Three separate acquaintances plus a good friend of mine had similar experiences throughout this year. And there were a couple of posts here too. Although to be fair two of those were in July which is not exactly unexpected as that's prime holiday season.

It makes me wonder if perhaps a few tours are starting to use that route as I know that several times there were very large groups walking.

There were also a couple of reports of people struggling in Pontdeume. My friend had to walk 2+ kilometres more. Not what she needed after a 32k first day, especially up that Hill! Still it did mean she had an easy start the next day....

I had booked Pontdeume and Bruma, the rest all just fell into place even in April -although a couple of times I had to look around for a bit. May will be a beautiful time to walk - I envy you...

I was there over Easter so my experience doesn't really count, but during that period everything was booked solid in Bruma -including the hotels nearby - for around five days . Everyday something between 20 and 30 people were being turned away according to the Hospitalier. And she mentioned that there were already several weeks throughout the year that were likely to be the same. Presumably in or near holidays.

Three separate acquaintances plus a good friend of mine had similar experiences throughout this year. And there were a couple of posts here too. Although to be fair two of those were in July which is not exactly unexpected as that's prime holiday season.

It makes me wonder if perhaps a few tours are starting to use that route as I know that several times there were very large groups walking.

There were also a couple of reports of people struggling in Pontdeume. My friend had to walk 2+ kilometres more. Not what she needed after a 32k first day, especially up that Hill! Still it did mean she had an easy start the next day....

I had booked Pontdeume and Bruma, the rest all just fell into place even in April -although a couple of times I had to look around for a bit. May will be a beautiful time to walk - I envy you...
Yikes, well thanks for that info! Seems the Camino is becoming more and more popular which is kinda changing the experience…

Yikes, well thanks for that info! Seems the Camino is becoming more and more popular which is kinda changing the experience…
Indeed, that's true of all of the Camino in general regardless of which route. To be frank I went expecting to be one of 10 or 12 people on the trail per day and found myself to be one of a hundred or so. I went expecting to walk in Solitude.... .

Because of my walking pace I could very easily have spent most of the day alone had I so wished. However due to all the wonderful people I met along the way I chose not to. I am not a natural 'joiner" however on the final day 8 of us walked in together and 10 sat down for dinner. It was an amazing experience.

Whilst it was completely different from what I had expected I loved every minute of it. It wasn't what I wanted but it was most certainly what I needed.

May is one of the most popular months on Camino. According to the statistics the Inglès makes up something like five and a half percent of all pilgrims nowadays. I haven't double checked, but that would mean something along the lines of two to two and a half thousand pilgrims on the Inglès in May. But as with every Camino every single day is different. You have much greater numbers near a holiday and far fewer starting during the middle of the week.

As always hope for the best, plan for the worst, and try not too have to many expectations !

€83,-
That is certainly the case. But a different experience doesn't necessarily equate to a less valuable experience. The Camino was much, much, much more popular in 2016 than in 1989. I can attest that the experience had changed somewhat. Yet people still seemed to be getting something of value.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back