• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How, where to be a volunteer?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
After my forthcoming walk from Rome to Jerusalem in autumn (hopefully), I want to stop all my obsessive walking (fat chance of that ever happening) and settle down to normal life for a few weeks or a month+ as a pilgrim volunteer somewhere in France, Italy or Spain.

I would love to hear from others who have been volunteers, how they found their assignments etc etc.

Bob M

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been a volunteer hospi for many years, and a trainer for a few.
If you want to serve in Fall/Winter, the best way is to contact a place you really liked and connected-with on your travels, and see if they want or need a volunteer. You can take official training courses sponsored by national Amigos organizations, but these are geared toward people serving two-week stints in high-season donativo albergues. Longer-term stays in low season, IMHO, are best learned on the job, and spent in a place you know and love. Be sure you enjoy silence and solitude as well as bonhomie and racket... and don't let yourself be exploited by for-profit places in search of slave labor (a couple of places in France do that, sadly, mostly with idealistic Eastern European volunteers).

.............If you want to serve in Fall/Winter, the best way is to contact a place you really liked and connected-with on your travels, and see if they want or need a volunteer. You can take official training courses sponsored by national Amigos organizations, but these are geared toward people serving two-week stints in high-season donativo albergues. Longer-term stays in low season, IMHO, are best learned on the job .......... and don't let yourself be exploited by for-profit places in search of slave labor (a couple of places in France do that.....

Thx, Rebekah. That is helpful, especially the 'for profit' places. Two people I know paid for volunteer assignments (unrelated to pilgrimage) of several months, one in China, the other in India. They had wonderful experiences, but paid upfront for training. I don't know how much it cost them, but the concept seemed a bit exploitative to me.

Apart from doing rewarding hospitalero-type work, I was also wondering if opportunities exist to use other skills eg management, computer, writing, or even labouring in gardens or improving route signage, whatever. There are many way to serve.

Bob M

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You got that right, BobM. We are just now beginning to try for a comprehensive approach to getting volunteer help to where it is needed, when it is needed. .. a really counterintuitive idea in a place like this.
Consider joining FICS, Federacion Internacional Del Camino de Santiago. It is a young group, based in Spain but with members all over the world, dedicated to active intervention to protect camino patrimony and uphold ideals like donativo albergues and bare-bones, spiritual journeys that are not dedicated to "finding the best ___."
At this early stage it's good to have Spanish skills. I know we need a good web designer... and we will likely be doing some picketing/protesting actions once the weather improves... and waymarking!

You got that right, BobM. We are just now beginning to try for a comprehensive approach to getting volunteer help to where it is needed, when it is needed. .. a really counterintuitive idea in a place like this.
Consider joining FICS, Federacion Internacional Del Camino de Santiago. It is a young group, based in Spain but with members all over the world, dedicated to active intervention to protect camino patrimony and uphold ideals like donativo albergues and bare-bones, spiritual journeys that are not dedicated to "finding the best ___."
At this early stage it's good to have Spanish skills. I know we need a good web designer... and we will likely be doing some picketing/protesting actions once the weather improves... and waymarking!
Thx again, Rebekah, for great advice.

Another thought has occurred to me: Maybe Ivar could create a 'market' place in this forum for volunteers and those seeking volunteer help that could hook up with FICS. The credibility and popularity of this website and the vigilance of experienced volunteers (like you!) would weed out anyone attempting to exploit volunteers.

It's just a thought bubble.

Bob M

How to people find out more about joining FICS Rebekah?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is another thought bubble: Volunteering does not have to be onsite, wonderful and important though that is.
Webpages can be designed anywhere in the world. Data, statistics, membership lists etc etc can be maintained by anyone with the right skills. Research on accommodation, or the pilgrimage history of XYZ can be done by anyone, anywhere. Same for advertising and media copy. Or translation. I could go on and on.

The thing is to have some forum to link needs with those who have the required skills. There must be lots of people visiting this forum who have very useful skills.

Bob M

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back