Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hype or Reality?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I recently saw this critique of the way in which the Camino Portugues, at least the part in Spain, is, in the eyes of the writer, badly degenerating. http://mesadepedra.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... portugues/

The essence of these remarks is that the Camino Portugues is turning into another overrun version of the Camino Frances. The author states that in April of this year, more than half of those who walked from Tui to Santiago were large groups with support vans. He-she also spreads the blame around to the Xunta of Galicia and its under-funding and under-staffing of the camino.

I wonder if any forum members out there have first hand knowledge of teh Camino Portugues this past April?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The comments seem a bit radical, mostly an emotional reaction to change. However, it is probably true that the government needs to be more active in preparing for the increasing numbers on the Camino Portugues. There is the usual disturbing undercurrent of selfishness -- not wanting others to have the same pleasure that the camino brought to oneself. I never understand why persons think that others are missing out if they do not experience the same things they have experienced. The world population clock has surpassed 7 billion. Each person has his unique world. At some point everyone will need to reconcile himself to respecting the other 6.999999999 billion. Dictators first! (Parents second.)

Funny that, I saw van assisted groups during April in 2010. I was quite shocked especially when they got a bed in front of me in Padron !!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having just returned from the Portuguese Camino I must therefore be considered an expert witness-yes there were groups “vaning” it in to Santiago-nothing hysteric but there were some few. As one approaches Santiago these groups are indeed more prevalent especially over a long holiday weekend. Baring injury, very pilgrim assimilates and internalizes the Camino he or she deserves. Now, I am no mystic, however I truly believe that the Camino is much greater than any individual, a group, even a bus full of tourist pilgrims but one must be receptive and free to allow the Camino to influence and to come within. The experience of walking 750-850 kilometers can be so overwhelming, life on the Camino often resembles a form of self abnegation, introspection and meditation, even an alternative to prayer. The peace and fellowship generated by days and days of walking, talking, bathing, sharing meals and wine, and sleeping in company creates a special comradeship which cannot be achieved as one waits in a minivan while the driver stamps 20 odd credencials in a bar. Yes they occasionally fill an albergue, yes they do generate more trash along the way than all of us together, yes the noise they produce may sometimes irritate but consider what they have lost. One can only hope that such a short and different Camino experience, the meeting with us, the "real" pilgrims, will convince them to return for a “real” pilgrimage.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, this will be our last night on the trail and we would like to stay somewhere with a good atmosphere and perhaps a shared dinner. Any recommendations? Thanks all!!
Hello, we are 10 days out from our Camino, hooray!!! Tying up some loose ends. Someone (multiple people, I'm sure!) on this forum recommended Casa de São Sebastião in Rubiães, which we've booked...
I am a senior from Australia with health issues currently at O Poboa and travelling NORTH looking for suggestions of good cheap accomodation on the Coastal Route with single room availability...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back