• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest Day: Pontevedra, CaldasdeReis, or Padron?

alexismi

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
Hello! My girlfriends and I are going in August starting from Valenca (first timers!). What city is the best to do a rest day? One thread seemed to recommend Pontevedra the most, but I was hoping to do something a little closer to Santiago when I think we'll be more tired and in need of rest. I called a tour company because I was worried there wouldn't be enough to do in Padron and he seemed to think Pontevedra or Caldas de Reis would be better than Padron. Caldas de Reis doesn't seem to have a lot to do when I googled it so now I'm thinking Pontevedra is best... Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pontevedra, but my opinion is may be because I was lucky to end up there during a middleage festival in September.
Caldas de Reis is a town with hot water sources so a night at a spahotel with hot baths could be nice .

I hiked Camino Portuguese last fall. I stayed in both Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis. More things to do and places to shop in Pontevedra. I stayed in the parador in Pontevedra. Fabulous room and delicious breakfast. Pilgrim rate was 117 euros (only me). Caldas de Reis is a smaller town, but nice. I stayed in Via XiX which I booked through Booking.com. Superior twin room with balcony, private bath, but no breakfast 91 euros. I'd stay at both places again. Bob

Pontevedra is a much bigger town with a very large pedestrianized historic center, beautiful architecture, and a great food and restaurant scene, including outstanding ice cream shops! You can easily spend a day or two there.

Padron is smaller, but has a good sized historic center, including a beautiful square by the river Sar, a few very good restaurants (Pulperia Rial in the Center; O Pazo, up the hill toward Santiago, one Michelin star), and a wonderful small museum of modern Galician culture and letters, the Casa Museo Rosália de Castro. (A few blocks from the center. She revived Gallego as a literary language. The 20th century author Camilo José Cela also has museum in town, as well as an imposing statute in the square by the river.

Caldas has a pretty setting, Roman bridge, and a number of handsome historic buildings connected to its hot springs. It has a hot spring water lavadero (laundry washing table/pool) if you want to dangle your feet in very warm water. (Lavadero Termal, Rua Don Carlos García Bayón) To do the same thing in cool water, go to the the central park just across the bridge, the Carballeira de Caldas de Reis. Less to see and do than the other towns, fewer restaurants and more empty shopfronts like many small towns in Galicia.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, we started in Valenca and had our rest day in Pontevedra. We were happy with our decision. Enjoyed shopping, walking around, eating out, and visited the Church of the Pilgrim Virgin.

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
All our lovely but Pontevedra my favourite. Lots to see, plenty of cafes to people watch and chill, beautiful basillica and other buildings and great food.

If you hit Padron on the day of their big (huge) outdoor market, that could be interesting. I went through on a Sunday, but I don't know if it is every week.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pontevedra makes sense if you want do some things like shop, but Caldas would be a nice place to actually rest. Then you go on to Padron and the next day into Santiago

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello! My girlfriends and I are going in August starting from Valenca (first timers!). What city is the best to do a rest day? One thread seemed to recommend Pontevedra the most, but I was hoping to do something a little closer to Santiago when I think we'll be more tired and in need of rest. I called a tour company because I was worried there wouldn't be enough to do in Padron and he seemed to think Pontevedra or Caldas de Reis would be better than Padron. Caldas de Reis doesn't seem to have a lot to do when I googled it so now I'm thinking Pontevedra is best... Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
If you do take a rest day in Pontevedra, you can try to schedule your walking to where the walk into Santiago is only 7.5 or 10km on that day. That way, you can arrive in Santiago without being too tired.

If you do take a rest day in Pontevedra, you can try to schedule your walking to where the walk into Santiago is only 7.5 or 10km on that day. That way, you can arrive in Santiago without being too tired.
We spent the evening before Santiago in Miilladioro and it worked out perfectly. Slept in and arrived in SdC in time for the Pilgrim’s Mass.

Another vote for Pontevedra but since you mentioned Caldas de Reis as a possibility, I wonder if you know about and/or have considered the Variante Espiritual? It’s a popular variant to the main route, starting just after Pontevedra and finishing (usually by boat) in Pontecesures, just before Padron (and therefore skipping Caldas de Reis). I have walked it twice and highly recommend it, as do plenty of others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For a rest day, wherever you are when you find that you need a rest. For a sightseeing day, depends on what you are looking to do and what your interests are.

Pontevedra is the bigger city, with more sights to see, museums, art galleries, churches. Caldas de Reis is the place to relax in a spa with the hot springs. Padrón is closely associated with St. James, where he preached while alive and where his stone boat fetched up after his martyrdom. If you are interested in St. James (to whose relics you are walking) this might be a place to explore a bit more.

Pontevedra is a much bigger town with a very large pedestrianized historic center, beautiful architecture, and a great food and restaurant scene, including outstanding ice cream shops! You can easily spend a day or two there.

Padron is smaller, but has a good sized historic center, including a beautiful square by the river Sar, a few very good restaurants (Pulperia Rial in the Center; O Pazo, up the hill toward Santiago, one Michelin star), and a wonderful small museum of modern Galician culture and letters, the Casa Museo Rosália de Castro. (A few blocks from the center. She revived Gallego as a literary language. The 20th century author Camilo José Cela also has museum in town, as well as an imposing statute in the square by the river.

Caldas has a pretty setting, Roman bridge, and a number of handsome historic buildings connected to its hot springs. It has a hot spring water lavadero (laundry washing table/pool) if you want to dangle your feet in very warm water. (Lavadero Termal, Rua Don Carlos García Bayón) To do the same thing in cool water, go to the the central park just across the bridge, the Carballeira de Caldas de Reis. Less to see and do than the other towns, fewer restaurants and more empty shopfronts like many small towns in Galicia.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful!!

Another vote for Pontevedra but since you mentioned Caldas de Reis as a possibility, I wonder if you know about and/or have considered the Variante Espiritual? It’s a popular variant to the main route, starting just after Pontevedra and finishing (usually by boat) in Pontecesures, just before Padron (and therefore skipping Caldas de Reis). I have walked it twice and highly recommend it, as do plenty of oth

Another vote for Pontevedra but since you mentioned Caldas de Reis as a possibility, I wonder if you know about and/or have considered the Variante Espiritual? It’s a popular variant to the main route, starting just after Pontevedra and finishing (usually by boat) in Pontecesures, just before Padron (and therefore skipping Caldas de Reis). I have walked it twice and highly recommend it, as do plenty of others.
Thank you! I can't do the Variante Espiritual this time, but that's good to know for next time. Thanks again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have stayed in Pontevedre a couple of times. Get the bus out to Combarro. There are some little bay cruises there. You end up eating all the freshly cooked mussels you can eat and all the wine you can drink for about 15 euros. Great break from the Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back