• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I Inherited The Journey

SusieQ2

Time of past OR future Camino
Future, within 18 months ('16 or '17)
At least that is how I explained it until I read a member's post here that said most pilgrims have a "calling". A family member had the journey planned, complete with a clam shell affixed to his backpack, but he died before he set out on the Way. I've visited this site off and on for the past two years but when I actually joined yesterday, I felt an eerie connection to those in this forum. I will be conditioning for the walk, in the same way my brother had planned, and depending on how that goes, and Lord willing, I will leave in Sept '16 or April/May '17 with a bit of guilt in my heart that it is I and not my brother making this pilgrimage. My starting point will be St. Jean. I will allow myself 40 days to complete the journey. I'm sure I'm not the first to choose 40 days and nights. I appreciate all those who have gone before me and thank you for the wealth of information here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At least that is how I explained it until I read a member's post here that said most pilgrims have a "calling". A family member had the journey planned, complete with a clam shell affixed to his backpack, but he died before he set out on the Way. I've visited this site off and on for the past two years but when I actually joined yesterday, I felt an eerie connection to those in this forum. I will be conditioning for the walk, in the same way my brother had planned, and depending on how that goes, and Lord willing, I will leave in Sept '16 or April/May '17 with a bit of guilt in my heart that it is I and not my brother making this pilgrimage. My starting point will be St. Jean. I will allow myself 40 days to complete the journey. I'm sure I'm not the first to choose 40 days and nights. I appreciate all those who have gone before me and thank you for the wealth of information here.

Hi, SusieQ,
I think there can be no better way to honor your brother´s memory and his life than to embark on the Camino that he had planned. My son and I have long said (long before Martin Sheen popularized it) that whoever outlives the other will do a camino in memory. When I volunteered in the pilgrims' office a few years ago, I met several pilgrims who had in fact walked in memory of another and felt a tremendous catharsis of grief when they arrived. May that be your camino as well.
Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino @SusieQ2, what a perfect way to remember your brother and celebrate his memory. I'm sure he'll be walking with you in spirit.

No doubt you'll have moments of sadness and grief along the way, but I hope that your Camino also brings you much happiness and joy.

Hello SusieQ (I simply ENJOY playing that song on a guitar.... believe me !!). You may want to dedicate the walk to your brother. You may want to consider doing The Way in a few more days than already planned. I did my first Frances in 2.5 month, though this included hanging out in Santiago for a week and then Fisterre and Muxia and back to Santiago. Take your time, breathe, DONT MAKE PLANS (unless you want the Almighty to laugh and laugh and laugh). May the Holy Spirit guide you and take you where your destiny is calling. Buen Camino :) Caesar

I met two French Canadians, father and son, at an albergue in Monjardin. As we talked, I was so genuinely moved by the Canadians’ story: The father had done his first Camino several years prior following the devastating loss of a family member, going to Spain and the Camino to heal. Then, following the loss of another family member—only a few weeks prior, he had invited his son to join him so they could both heal, knowing the benefit his previous trip had been to his soul. The absolutely amazing part of this story was their marvelous, positive, inspiring energy and attitude towards life and the future. Not forgetting those they lost, but honoring them and releasing.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

SusieQ2,
Once in a while a post appears here that makes me stop, think, feel and have my faith in humankind re-kindled. Your post just had that effect on me, thank you.

Enjoy your preparation, planning and training for they are all part of your Camino too.

Buen (guilt-free and happy sibling-filled memories) Camino.

I felt an eerie connection to those in this forum.
and Youe quote Make us feel a Lovely connection once again to all those who walked , Planning or Couldn't . May this Camino clear The Guilt You Feel and You would definitely feel in every step of the way , why your Brother wanted to do It. Wishing you a Buen Camino for You Both.

[QUOTE=" I will leave in Sept '16 or April/May '17 with a bit of guilt in my heart that it is I and not my brother making this pilgrimage. [/QUOTE]
Hi Susie,
Can I suggest that you try not to feel guilt. I prefer to think that you inherited from your brother the gift of walking to Santiago. Walk for him, walk with him and most of all walk for yourself. This is for you to do and your brother played his part in bringing the 'calling' to you. Be open, enjoy and buen Camino.
Aidan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And one thing I forgot to mention. If you get a compostela, the rule is that it can only be issued to you, but you may ask that the "vicarie pro" statement be added at the bottom to indicate that you are walking in honor of someone else. Buen camino, Laurie https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...for-my-late-father-compostella-queston.35507/
I did that for my grandson a few years back. I also had two credentials, one for him. His was nothing to do with the compostela just a togetherness thing. Buen Camino and may your brother's journey in your soul be a pleasant one.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back