• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I need to cut three days

El Gallo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances; Sept.2015
This is a question for the veterans.
I do my first camino this September. I want to start from SJPDP. Due to time constraints, I may need to cut three days. By cut I mean catch a taxi or bus to speed things along. If you were redoing the Camino Frances, which three days would you cut?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Totally agree with the above 3 comments!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not only that but if you find you are speedy you can A. Take a break, B. Enjoy a city of choice, C. Enjoy your time in Santiago with the folks following up behind you.
Oh I forgot Pamplona, I could hang out there a week.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I do my first camino this September. I want to start from SJPDP. Due to time constraints, I may need to cut three days. By cut I mean catch a taxi or bus to speed things along. If you were redoing the Camino Frances, which three days would you cut?
Hello , I agree with all the above start from Pamplona . Have a great time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Next time I would rent a bicycle for the part between Burgos and Leon. Its flat, easy to ride, you will see everything that you see walking. For walking that was slightly boring. Beautiful, sure, but if you can see kilometres in all directions, you can just as well get there a little faster. Also a way to cut a few days. What you spend on rent for the bicycle, you save on needing less albergues and food (just because there will be less days). Google "bicigrino".
I would never cut off the walk over Pyrenees, it was too beautiful to be missed. After Pamplona it got "normal". Not bad but way less exciting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with the Pmplona start suggestion, but when I read the question the first thing that came to my mind was the exit from Burgos. The idea of being 'bicigrino' between burgos and leon is great!

And don´t skip any days of Galicia. That place is magic, enjoy all of it.

Give starting from Pamplona some consideration. Chances are you will get the Camino bug:p and want to come back again sometime in the future. If that turns out to be the case, StJPDP will still be there for you.
Buen(saving 3 days) Camino

I needed to cut 3 days off my Camino while walking and wish I had known about the bicycle rentals after Burgos. This would have been the logical solution for me. Unfortunately I waited and later ended up jumping ahead to Astoria from Leon on the bus. (Please understand...this was after much anguish)
The solution to ride the Meseta will provide you with a better complete experience.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You cannot be serious cutting out the pyrennese it us inspirational. I like the bicycle idea to cut dowm time very much.

Burgos to leon is perfect for bicycle just the one hill after hontanas and your golden.

Oz

The advice "start from Pamplona" seems to be very popular, but that would be the very last thing I would do.

I would consider catching a train from Sahagun to Leon or Astorga. You will not be missing much if you do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Or (especially if you are a lady) take a bus from Astorga to Rabanal. Thats the stretch where Denise went missing and "improper behaviour" was reported. We did and the bus was full of lady pilgrims. No shame to want to be safe.

Do NOT cut out SJPDP to Pamplona! If I was going to cut out anything it would be walking through the vast industrial parks and suburban streets of cities. We , being members of "The Soon to be Dead", underestimated our walking strength. We estimated it would take us 44 days to walk from SJPDP to Santiago and we easily finished in 33 days.

It is not a difficult walk, just a long walk. Do NOT underestimate your ability. After a week or two, you will be like me and putting rocks in your pack to slow yourself down as you wander along the way.

Do NOT cut out SJPDP to Pamplona! If I was going to cut out anything it would be walking through the vast industrial parks and suburban streets of cities.
True! The industrial areas you can pas by bus. City bus ticket costs 1 - 2 euros.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know your question was for veterans, and I only walked once, but my 2 cents to cut three days would be:

1. Rest day after reaching SDC
2. Travel day going home
3. Rest day at home before getting back to "real life"

And just turn around and walk it again :D

What @frasert said --- You've opened a can of worms!
Whatever method you choose, I wish you a Buen Camino. :)

Start on St Jean if you want to! See how you go. Maybe you'll be able to walk a little further some days than you anticipate now. Just make sure you don't overdo it at the beginning. Revisit the question of it turns out you need to hurry along at some point.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
El Gallo: Based on the feedback, I think you have two good options:
1) Start in Pamplona: You won't have to add travel time to SJPdP or Roncesvalles and can start walking from Pamplona (direct train/bus from Madrid - arrive at airport in am and be in Pamplona in a few hours). If you aren't in great shape, it will help you avoid the killer mountain on the first day. Most importantly, you won't have to jump ahead later and lose contact with your "camino family". No worries or decisions and you can just walk...
2) Start in SJPdP or Roncesvalles: Start with a new group of pilgrims, see the beautiful mountain scenery and attend the Pilgrim mass at Roncesvalles. Take the train from Sahagun to Leon and miss a long flat section running along rail lines and roads. It gets beautiful after Leon. By taking the train from Sahagun you will have time to enjoy the beautiful cathedral and eat tapas in Leon.
I think these are the two best solutions. Either choice is good and depends on what appeals to you. Having completed 4 caminos, I agree with several of the other veterans - my choice would be to start in Pamplona. You will have a great camino no matter what you choose. Go with your gut feeling.

in and out of León (but not León itself)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jo Jo, I totally disagree. Skip burgos pamplona leon ..... Seems crazy to work hard in the masseta sun and not holiday in leon. I have met a number of couples this trek skipping cities and trying to convince others to stick with them. I just dont understand the reasons for this behavior.

Skipping industry areas yes, but beautiful leon, burgos, ponferrada.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back