Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Icebugs?

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
Is it a good idea to bring icebugs (to attach to the shoes) in April/May (when using non-waterproof)? In wet areas (mud etc) I usually use plastic covers (the kind that doctors, hospitals etc use, buy in packs of 100 and cost like nothing) and icebugs to hold it in place when not use waterproof/goretex etc. Is it a good idea to bring? And - will there be frost on the ground in April/May mornings? I have seen that the trail goes high in some places? (I refuse to use waterproof/eg goretex when rest of the trip is in warm areas). Or, am I overthinking now, and Primitivo's mountain peaks will have the same climate as the rest of Spain?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok thanks, frost = I bring them!. Icebugs are spikes that are placed under the shoes with rubber bands. We use them everyday in winter, or, the shoes ifself has spikes. Frost + slippery = definately bring them :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is quite possible there will be frost some mornings.

I have no idea what icebugs are, but if you think they'll be useful, why not?
There are no end of styles to choose from Also known as mini spikes or ice cleats. They can make a bit of a racket on concrete or tarmac. I can only imagine the fun if accompanied by walking poles!

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Is it a good idea to bring icebugs (to attach to the shoes) in April/May (when using non-waterproof)? In wet areas (mud etc) I usually use plastic covers (the kind that doctors, hospitals etc use, buy in packs of 100 and cost like nothing) and icebugs to hold it in place when not use waterproof/goretex etc. Is it a good idea to bring? And - will there be frost on the ground in April/May mornings? I have seen that the trail goes high in some places? (I refuse to use waterproof/eg goretex when rest of the trip is in warm areas). Or, am I overthinking now, and Primitivo's mountain peaks will have the same climate as the rest of Spain?
Unlikely to be necessary. Compared to similar altitudes in Norway you’ll probably think you’re on the beach.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have walked several camino's in the late March/April/May time frame. I can only recall one day on the San Salvador that it would have been nice to have trex attached to my shoes. That said if it brings you comfort to have them, bring them along. They are not heavy but you will probably just be carrying them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would they get through airport security as carry on or would they have to be checked? How pointy are the spikes?
Thats a good question! they come in lots of types, some are really sharp yes. Never thought of that, never needed them elsewhere, but the sharpest would never pass no.. Our roads (not the main ones, they gets salted) are covered in snow and ice all winter, so its a thing "everyone" needs some times.. For us funny that people haven't heard of them 😂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For us funny that people haven't heard of them
I am just curious: Is "icebug" a literal translation from a Scandinavian language into English or is it a brandname that has become generic? Like "buff" for example?

I see that there are "Icebug" shoes. I actually have a pair of such winter boots (with inbuilt ice cleats / crampons) but I've never seen the word icebugs for such shoes or for proper crampons. It sounds so cute. 🙂

We call them "crampons" in our area of the US midwest. We have a couple of pairs at home, but rarely need them any more as we go south as Snowbirds for the worst of winter.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
"Icebug" is not the correct word, as I can read that is most used for the shoes which has the sharp things attacked to them. The rubber band I meant is here just called "spikes".
1707766162582.png

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back