• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Immunizations in Spain for Thailand

kevswords

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2014
Hi! So a bit of an unusual situation. I'm going to be starting my camino this October, and will be following it up with a month in SE Asia to visit family and see a few sights. The CDC recommends a few immunizations for the areas I will be visiting and I wondered how complicated those might be to obtain in Spain. Specifically typhoid, hepatitis A and B, and malaria pills.

Does anyone know what something like this might cost in Spain for an American paying cash? It's no secret that the U.S. system is in all kinds of turmoil right now, and even with my insurance these medicines are pretty expensive. If they are legitimately available to tourists and for a lower cost in Spain than at home I'll happily get them there.

Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

Immunizations are not difficult to arrange in Spain. Here is a list of the centres which provide them:

http://www.msssi.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/sanidadExterior/salud/centrosvacu.htm

You must make an appointment in advance.

I had immunizations here a couple of years ago to travel to India which included those on your list. I'll try to look out the bill if I still haveit but I remembering thinking that the cost was very reasonable. I can't find a list of prices on the internet.

A couple of suggestions to consider :

The vaccination for hepatitis A and B takes six months for full protection, however you are provided some degree of protection if you have the first set of shots one month prior to arriving in Thailand. It is probably unnecessary to get a vaccination for hepatitis B, though many times the vaccine is bundled together for both hepatitis A and B.

I would also check into what type of malaria pulls you plan to take - some require you start them days prior to your arrival. And check to see if the same pills are available in Thailand. We found the same expensive pills that required a medical doctor's prescription in Canada could be bought off the shelf in Singapore at a fraction of the price.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Been to Spain and been to Thailand.
On the trips to Thailand I was never asked to see my shot record (which I carry) upon entry.
As said before, the Hepatitis shots are a series. As far as malaria pills, you can readily get those in Thailand and they are inexpensive. The only anti-malaria meds I have taken are Doxycycline and you can get these at any pharmacy in Thailand without a prescription. Some minor side effects with antimalarial drugs such as sensitivity to the sun.
Only time I have gotten sick (gastro-intestinal ;)) in Thailand is from eating the street food, but the stuff is so good I figure it was worth it, ha ha. Can't live in a bubble when travelling. Got to say what da heck sometimes, but definitely only drink the bottled water there. :cool:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Of course a tremendous amount of information on here, no matter how unusual the request! I'll look into anti-malarials in Asia; my first stop happens to be Singapore to visit family and I'm sure they know where to find what I'm after. Thanks everyone!

You might like to google the other side of anti-malarials.....there is a convincing body of evidence that suggests it is better to NOT take anti-malarials, and just to treat the problem if it arises.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back