• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In the last week of October 2019, on a 12 day itinerary, would you start from Tui or Valenca enroute Santiago?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Average age doesn't tell me enough. I was about 65 I guess when I walked from Oporto to Santiago in 12 days. More important is physical and mental preparation. You have lots of time to check out the demands of some continuous days walking your planned daily average. Enjoy the anticipation!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well I’m 78yo and just completed the Portuguese from Lisbon in 24days and am not very fit. From Tui you hardly get into any rhythm of The Camino. Also the wald fro Porto north is the most scenic part of The Camino. Be sure to do lots of training first and get your shoes well worn in. For the inevitable blisters I found Dr Scholls silicone tubes to be far and away the most effective although I was lucky and only got three toe blisters. Good insurance to carry some but it is in some pharmacy’s along the way. Regarding Valença or Tui; I would say Tui because it’s such a beautiful old city. Bon Camino.

Both Tui and Valenca do Minho are beautiful cities. If taking 12 days, you have the choice to stop in each of these cities. Valenca has the fort, with some excellent restaurants (including one that served roast kid). There is an albergues and several hotels in the town. Take the next day to walk over the bridge to Tui. Take the longer path by the river and enjoy the scenery. Tui’s cathedral is a small but stunning one. Check out the smaller churches on your way out of town. The tourist information office at Tui could refer you to some B&Bs north of the town. Between those and O Porrino is a distance of 12 to 14 kilometers. Another 14 or 15 km to Redondela. Another accommodation north of Redondela only a few kilometers is the Hotel Antolin, situated right on the bay. There is a restaurant right at the hotel with picture window view of the bay. From Redondela, there is the city of Arcade, then Pontevedra which offers all services. I walked this route twice, the last time being 2011. The newer guidebooks (I have Brierley’s) are showing some newer accommodations between Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis. Ditto for the next stage taking you to Padron. Both times, I stayed at the Scala Hotel just north of Padron in a section called Iria Flavia. There are several intermediary stops between Padron and Santiago if you feel your group could handle only short distances. You have choices on the whole route. I hope you reach consensus with the others in your group. I tend to be cautious— an example, in 2014, I stopped at both Huntto and Orisson while on the path between St Jean Pied-de-Port and Roncesvalles, not trusting that I could take so much of the steep climb the first day. Once on it, it was apparent that I didn’t need an extra night for that stage, but stuck to my schedule. I am a person of my word and I had written both parties requesting lodging. Any regrets? None whatsoever! After all, it was my Camino and an extra day in those beautiful mountains was an appropriate luxury!
Whatever choices you and your group make, Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back