• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning our first Camino trip: 12km per day, Tui to Santiago

Ged

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hi me and the boss are planning our first Camino trip next May. We are only able to walk a maximum of about 12km per day because of health and age. We have the bones of a plan walking from Tui to Santiago which we think will be approx 117km.
My question is are we allowed to stay more than one day in a place or do we need our passports stamped daily and because the distance is over the minimum will once per day suffice.
Thank you for you replies in advance

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first answer is that it depends on where you stay. From extensive reading here, some albergues will only let you stay one night. Hotels would be a different story.

Now, as to the second question, I am assuming that you mean the credencial and also assuming that you want to get either the Compostela or the distance certificate from the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago. In that case, you need one sello or stamp per day until you get to 100 kilometers from Santiago. At that point, you need two different sellos per day.

Bom Caminho/ Buen Camino

I was typing an answer, but Dbier was quicker!
As said, once you reach 100km from Santiago, you need 2 stamps per day until you get to the cathedral, no matter how much you walked before that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would make sure you get two stamps a day for the last 100kms, even if you take a rest day and don´t walk. If the person in the pilgrim office asks about this, explain your situation. I am fairly confident they will be understanding as I am sure it won´t be the first time this has happened.

As for staying two nights, the public albergues don´t normally allow this but as a matter of policy they definitely make exceptions in case of need e.g. sickness or injury. Of course, you can stay in a hotel or pension as long as you like, they´ll be happy to have you. Buen camino.

Thanks very much for your replies.
Based on what you have told us we are going to up our fitness levels a bit and aim to do this in 8 days with no breaks.
However we are not going to stop in the Albergues unless absolutely necessary so we were wondering how hard it is to get the stamps twice a day?

how hard it is to get the stamps twice a day?
Not at all hard. The stamp does not have to be from an albergue. So long as it has the name of the town in it, it will be acceptable so it could be from your hotel. There are also cafés, bars, etc etc along the way not to mention public offices. Not only that, you don´t have to have stayed in an albergue for them to give you a stamp. Most hospitaleros will happily give you a stamp as you pass through.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your reply. That's brilliant we were originally planning next October but have since become quite excited about the whole thing and our latest plan is now over Easter. We are going to fly to Porto from the UK and make our way up to Tui from there. Is it wrong to be this giddy at 63? :cool:

My walking buddie 65y did SantiagodC - Muxia - Finisterre and back to SdC last year. Just a bit more than 200km and he had no problems.
We planned the route and made the necessary stops now and then in order to eat, drink and having a little rest also😉
You get your credential stamped also👍
So it is easy to get more then 2 stamps a day.
You can always send your luggage/suitcase ahead in Portugal and Spain. Do a search here on the forum when needed.
Disadvantage is non-public albergues and a fixed itinerary...you lose some freedom.
Most important is to enjoy your Camino without health issues 🤞🍀😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for your reply. That's brilliant we were originally planning next October but have since become quite excited about the whole thing and our latest plan is now over Easter. We are going to fly to Porto from the UK and make our way up to Tui from there. Is it wrong to be this giddy at 63? :cool:
We are planning our trip for Sept 2024 and I’ll be 77 then. So in answer to your question, I’m over the moon for this trip, but giddy is a good description as well. We will be taking the Porto coastal route and plan on 15 days for side trips and rest days. Please keep us informed on your journey, I’ll be interested how it all unfolds.

We are planning our trip for Sept 2024 and I’ll be 77 then. So in answer to your question, I’m over the moon for this trip, but giddy is a good description as well. We will be taking the Porto coastal route and plan on 15 days for side trips and rest days. Please keep us informed on your journey, I’ll be interested how it all unfolds.
We definitely will. Don't know were I have been all my life without coming across these routes. I have been trying to learn how to speak Portuguese and two of the tutors made a video of their camino from Porto. I am very grateful they did. Currently looking at Osprey bacpacks for the journey. Still giddy 😉

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We definitely will. Don't know were I have been all my life without coming across these routes. I have been trying to learn how to speak Portuguese and two of the tutors made a video of their camino from Porto. I am very grateful they did. Currently looking at Osprey bacpacks for the journey. Still giddy 😉

Attachments

• IMG_9890.jpeg
    IMG_9890.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
This is the one I got. It fits me perfectly, and I’ll be loading it up with about 16-18 lbs for our practice hikes.

Any command of Portuguese will be much appreciated in Portugal but whilst you will be walking the Caminho Portuguese; you will on this first trip be walking entirely in Spanish-speaking Spain

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi me and the boss are planning our first Camino trip next May. We are only able to walk a maximum of about 12km per day because of health and age. We have the bones of a plan walking from Tui to Santiago which we think will be approx 117km.
My question is are we allowed to stay more than one day in a place or do we need our passports stamped daily and because the distance is over the minimum will once per day suffice.
Thank you for you replies in advance
12K-13K is about my own current average due to disability, and if I had not learned how to hike long-distance and what it entails as a younger chap I couldn't do even that.

So, about 12K sounds right to me for you, even though you may occasionally surprise yourselves with a longer stretch on some of the easier sections.

There may be some spots where tarmac would be preferable to trail.

Yes, it is becoming easier than it was formerly to stay more than one day in the same place, except that it remains impossible in the Xunta Albergues without a medical certificate from a local doctor. May can be very crowded though, so be advised day-to-day.

If you stay two nights in the same place then you'll only need one stamp on the rest day. It's part of the general rule that if you suspend your Camino anywhere, then you need a stamp from that same place when you reprise it. Otherwise, on walking days two stamps, ideally one picked up somewhere along the way and one at day's end. Yes that's only within the final 100K, but 117K is close enough that it's good practice to get 2/day right from the start.

12K-13K is about my own current average due to disability, and if I had not learned how to hike long-distance and what it entails as a younger chap I couldn't do even that.

So, about 12K sounds right to me for you, even though you may occasionally surprise yourselves with a longer stretch on some of the easier sections.

There may be some spots where tarmac would be preferable to trail.

Yes, it is becoming easier than it was formerly to stay more than one day in the same place, except that it remains impossible in the Xunta Albergues without a medical certificate from a local doctor. May can be very crowded though, so be advised day-to-day.

If you stay two nights in the same place then you'll only need one stamp on the rest day. It's part of the general rule that if you suspend your Camino anywhere, then you need a stamp from that same place when you reprise it. Otherwise, on walking days two stamps, ideally one picked up somewhere along the way and one at day's end. Yes that's only within the final 100K, but 117K is close enough that it's good practice to get 2/day right from the start.
Thank you very much for your advice it is very much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.