• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In two weeks...

vintagebang

I'll be on my way to walking the Camino Frances!!

My name is Anisia. I'm 17 years old, and I'll be walking it with my 15 year old sister and my dad!

I'm from Ontario, Canada and I love camping/backpacking and music. I'm doing a biolgoy course right now and the exam is on the date of my departure so it's been really hectic preparing for this and getting through my studies!

I've been reading this forum a lot lately just for those little extra tips and pieces of advice to pick up before I leave. Really helpful stuff.

So, hello!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
vintagebang said:
I'll be on my way to walking the Camino Frances!!
I'm doing a biolgoy course right now and the exam is on the date of my departure so it's been really hectic preparing for this and getting through my studies!

Hello Anisia, (what a great name),

Good luck with your biology exam and the Camino.

I haven't walked yet. I am an 'armchair pilgrim' so far but hope to walk in 2008.

I am reading two books at the moment "The Art of Pilgrimage" by Phil Cousineau where he quotes an old Arabian proverb -

*It's not the road ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe*

so leave behind any concerns about your exam results :)

The other book is "It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump, And Other Life Lessons I Learned from Dogs* by John O'Hurley.

From this I love these lessons/tips -

*A Cold Can of Meat is Still a Feast* and

*Every Fifteen Minutes Is A Brand New Day*

Enjoy yourselves ................ in 1.5 million steps, it'll all be over! :)

Adios, Buen Camino.
lillypond.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, vintagebang -

If you can, leave your iPod inside your backpack while you are walking. You'll be surprised at what your senses will pick up from your surroundings: grandmothers gossipping, mnothers scolding, birds arguing, leaves rustling, the sound of approaching cars, the smell of eucalyptus (or cow patties, depending were you are)... it's a great way to give your ears a rest from all the commercial noise we've become used to.

And EAT. Be adventurous, pop into a small eatery and see what's on the menu. Try something you've never eaten before, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Allow yourself the luxury of a good meal in a good restaurant or cafe periodically. For me, there's no better way to connect with a culture on a more personal level than through the food :D But, hey, I confess I'm a foodie at heart :D

Buen Camino....

PW

peskywabbit said:
Hello, vintagebang -

If you can, leave your iPod inside your backpack while you are walking. You'll be surprised at what your senses will pick up from your surroundings: grandmothers gossipping, mnothers scolding, birds arguing, leaves rustling, the sound of approaching cars, the smell of eucalyptus (or cow patties, depending were you are)... it's a great way to give your ears a rest from all the commercial noise we've become used to.

And EAT. Be adventurous, pop into a small eatery and see what's on the menu. Try something you've never eaten before, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Allow yourself the luxury of a good meal in a good restaurant or cafe periodically. For me, there's no better way to connect with a culture on a more personal level than through the food :D But, hey, I confess I'm a foodie at heart :D

Buen Camino....

PW

After I read this, I decided I'm not even going bring my ipod!
And I'll definetely be sure to try new things to eat!!
Thanks for the advice:D

Good plan, ditch the iPod! The only time I'll miss mine is when I'm waiting for my flight.

With regards to the food... Erm... Brace yourself... and don't be lulled into thinking that the 'steak' on the menu is going to be nice or else you'll be in for a horrible surprise! Also expect to have flan... lots and lots of flan. Sometimes it'll pretend to be cheesecake or something else, but in reality it's just the menu trying to deceive you!

I'd say yes to having nice food every now and again. Pulpo in Galicia is a must!

Buen Camino!

ps. Are you doing the whole thing?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey to a sister Ontarian!

I have walked two caminos (the Frances and the Via de la Plata). First of all, congratulations on your (and your family's) adventurous spirit and decision to walk the camino.
There's lots of advice I could give you but here are two:

1. Stop IMMEDIATELY and tend to anything hinkey going on with your feet (a sensitive spot, a grain of sand or pebble). Your feet will thank you and you will not spend a chunk of time every day tending to blisters.

2. Pay attention to every little creature, every person, every landscape on your way. Don't take anything for granted - it is too soon over and you will only have your memories. (Well, OK, your journal and pictures too). Oh, and I totally agree about the food. Indulge and be brave (and sometimes forgiving) with some of your food experiences.

Buen camino to you and your family!

Peace,

lynne

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.