• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles or Portugues?

LaneyHarper

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019
Hi!

My aunt and I are planning to walk the Camino in May 2019 for 10-11 days but are having difficulty deciding between one of the Portugues routes, the Ingles or another option (suggestions welcome!). We would like to end in Santiago. We decided not to walk the French way, Norte or the Primativo. We are looking for a route that is not to difficult (inclines as I have asthma), has less asphalt/pavement walking (my older aunt is worried about her feet). The Portugues coastal route from Porto seems relatively flat but more asphalt/ pavement walking. I’ve heard the Ingles route can be very rainy and muddy and it’s a shorter route. Not sure about asphalt/pavement walking the Ingles. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi!

My aunt and I are planning to walk the Camino in May 2019 for 10-11 days but are having difficulty deciding between one of the Portugues routes, the Ingles or another option (suggestions welcome!). We would like to end in Santiago. We decided not to walk the French way, Norte or the Primativo. We are looking for a route that is not to difficult (inclines as I have asthma), has less asphalt/pavement walking (my older aunt is worried about her feet). The Portugues coastal route from Porto seems relatively flat but more asphalt/ pavement walking. I’ve heard the Ingles route can be very rainy and muddy and it’s a shorter route. Not sure about asphalt/pavement walking the Ingles. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Laney,

I walked both and I think both are the same when it comes to amount of paved roads.Although more cobblestones on the Portugues.
The rerouting of the Ingles means that there are less steep hills.
I walked the Ingles when it was very muddy but you should be ok with a stick for balance.
In terms of beautiful towns the Ingles wins for me. Especially Betanzos is gorgeous to wander around.
Also lesser pilgrims and less pilgrim's commerce on the Ingles.
Happy preparations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't speak for the Portugues, but there is a fair amount of pavement on the Ingles. There are also the Sanabres from Ourense or the Invierno from Monforte de Lemos - but these will be hilly. But it's worth considering that if you want to end up in Santiago, you won't be able to completely avoid hills, no matter where you walk from.

If you are after a credencial then start the English Way at Ferrol. Don't do it in winter like we did as it can be pretty muddy. What road walking there is, is on pretty quiet roads. Other then that it's a short, well signposted route with some good alburges and pretty Galician villages. We had some fantastic meals on this route so don't be afraid to try your luck at some of the smaller upmarket joints.

The Portuguese Way from Tui is the second busiest caminos, so if you are trying to avoid the crush of the French Way you may want to take a closer look. Starting in Porto adds a lot of extra kms to the trip so I wouldn't say it's a direct comparison to the Inglés. Yes there is also a lot of cobbles and a far amount of busy main road walking. But it covers some interesting history and would give you a chance to experience a longer Camino. Just look into the threads on foot ware to help you come with the hard surfaces.

There are also other caminos that will lead you into Santiago, look at the route from Ourense on the Vdlp or others on the forum page. I am glad you are looking at the wider ways to Santiago and hope you find one that fits with what you and your aunt are looking for.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!

Thanks!
We did two days of the Coastal route after walking from Lisbon. Except for this section, the rest is a lot of road. We plan to do the Ingles next summer. From Brierley's guide, the % of road appears to be less.

about 40% of the Ingles is asphalt, but in the main, it is quiet country roads.

Even ambling, the Ingles should be able to be achieved in 8 or 9 days, so consider either spending a day in A Coruna beforehand and some time in Santiago afterwards, or think about tacking the Finisterre route on the end (3 days or so)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back