• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

intro - and recent-pilgrim advice

Hi all
My husband and I walked a week of the camino, from St Jean to Roncesvalles, last september. It was magic, and every time I see pictures I am transported back. I want to do the rest, but last year there were over 20,000 pilgrims in August alone - almost the number for the entire year previously - and I am wary that if this year is any busier, it will be awful. Has anyone done the last week or last few weeks this year yet? I liked the advice I read yesterday to do the portuguese section, or others. Anyone done these?
With thanks,
Jo-Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jo Ann! I started walking May 4 & for some reason there were tons of pilgrims on the road already! :shock: However, Lora & someone else I think started mid-month & the albergues don´t seem to be as full. Who knows why.

Anyway. I wouldn´t walk in August; way too hot & crowded. Late April/May are good times for me (aside from the rain), cooler temps, allegedly smaller crowds :wink: September or October should be fine as well.

dg

Hola Jo-Anne

I took CSJ advice last year to avoid the C Frances - even during Sept/Oct - because of overcrowding; I was a first-timer then - so walked the C Aragones and then 'jumped' from Puenta de la Reina (via Pamplona) to Salamanca (by train) for the Ruta de la Plata, which was sometimes very 'empty' (in the albergues - once or twice I was the only pelegrino!) I am told by 'old timers' that kind of solitude is reminiscent of what it was like in the 'good old days' (by which I presume the 1960s 1970s 1980s camino experience is meant!) I enjoyed it all - and did get to experience a very full albergue (in Puenta de la R) BUT not particularly conducive to a good night's sleep!!

buen camino

Peter

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back